Underwater cameras---Which one is the best?
Mikes Extreme
Posted 2/4/2004 1:48 PM (#95910)
Subject: Underwater cameras---Which one is the best?

I was testing some of the underwater cameras Sunday and found that they are very close in field of view.

One is brighter than the other but picks up all the little stuff and clouds the picture.

What is the best camera for the buck?

Edited by Mikes Extreme 2/4/2004 1:53 PM
esox23
Posted 2/4/2004 2:21 PM (#95918 - in reply to #95910)
Subject: RE: Underwater cameras---Which one is the best?

The new Marcum OVS 560 is suppose to be the best thing out there.  It has a new lighting set up, where the lights are positioned behind the actual camera lens which apparently helps out alot with reflection and glare problems of the past.  So they say the lights do work better in low light periods.

I bought an OVS 400 last winter and it's a great unit, very well built and all the connections are enclosed.  When I was looking i really wanted the Aqua Vu but after looking at it closer it just didn't seem anywhere near as durable as the Marcum OVS models.

Just my opinion...

Esox23

Posted 2/4/2004 4:09 PM (#95934 - in reply to #95910)

I demo these cameras every day I work in the winter. The OVS makes sense in having multi-color and infared in one unit, but as far as accessories, durablity and warranty issues, you cannot beat Aqua-Vu.

The #1 question I ask a customer is this..."What application(s) are you going to use this camera for?" So I guess I'm asking the same of you.

Durabilty is a major factor with these units and 9 times out of 10 when comparing OVS and Aqua-Vu, I see the OVS come back defective.

I have both and prefer my Aqua-Vu DT series with direction, temp and depth.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 2/5/2004 9:32 AM (#95997 - in reply to #95934)

Aqua-Vu and Atlantis is the ones I used.

I like to see the weeds and conditions under the ice when possible.

I also would like to use it in the summer so see what the pods of bait are that I come across when fishing different lakes.

Yesterday I located a clearing in a weedbed and set tip-ups along the outside edge. This is one of the situations where the camera helped me out.

Knowing the kind of weeds is also very helpfull. Last week I found some cabbage that was still standing tall with all the milfoil around it layed down. Great spot, produced some walleyes for me.

My interest is to have a durable camera that will take the abuse of use.

The Aqua-Vu I used last summer would only show about 3 to 5 ft of visablilty on a good flat calm day in the summer. What is the general field of view under average water clairity?

The one thing I had a problem with Aqua-Vu is the focus of the camera. It seemed like it would pick up every little speck floating around under the water and not pick up the fish that were farther away.

The Atlantis seemed to focus farther out, the smaller specks/water lice or whatever would be not so bright and would not clutter up the picture.

I have a open mind to all cameras. Durability will go along way with me.

What is the range of cameras under water? I seem to get 3 to 5 ft while under the ice. The water is not gin clear but is not stained either.

How about some help........Advice...........Sugestions.........

Posted 2/5/2004 9:49 AM (#96001 - in reply to #95997)

Gander Guide,

You demo these camera's every day? In the store, right? They all look good in the store. But in the water is a different story. The biggest problem with the Aqua view is when they get cold, and the battery gets a little drained, the vertical hold will go off, and there is no adjustment for it. Then the camera is useless. Actually, the Marcum's have a better picture in dirtier water. Must have something to do with the type/color lights they use. I know my Aqua Vu has the red and green, and if there is a lot of plankton, bugs, etc, and stirred up dirt, the lights are useless. The new Marcum I saw had a much better result, side by side.

Also, you are saying that 9 out of 10 OVS come back defective? Or if you get 10 units back, 9 will be OVS's and one Aqua Vu? How do your stores determine which product they tend to push? The store up here in Wausau is pushing the Marcums. Who to believe?
sworrall
Posted 2/5/2004 10:15 AM (#96005 - in reply to #96001)

The MarCum 560 is without a doubt the best camera out. The lens, (Sony) rotates 360 degrees by remote, and the lighting system is the most advanced for clearing the image in a murky environment. The case, battery, and overall unit is compact, durable, and easy to use and set up. All in all, a very nice camera.

Here is a link:http://www.marcumcustomerservice.com/products/productsmain.aspx

Take a look!
muskihntr
Posted 2/5/2004 11:51 AM (#96011 - in reply to #95910)

im very interested in these cameras too im planning to purchase them and will be stopping in at gander mt. in wauasa to check them out too. lots of guys really like this marcum which ive never seen, i usally shop at bass pro but they only carry the aqua vu and atlantis, so i guess im not the only one confused about these cameras in trying to find the best one based on picture and durability.
ps. hiiii 52 big hug for ya!!!!!!!!!
Mikes Extreme
Posted 2/5/2004 12:13 PM (#96016 - in reply to #96005)

The MarCum 560 is the new one out?

I would love to see one somehow.

Steve do you have one yet?

Is there anyway to see how this unit works under water?

In the store/house/show the cameras all look the same.

Anyone have any sugestions as to where I can see one?

Maybe at the show? In the tank?

I know the tank will be clear water but it would test the distance the camera works best at.

Can anyone bring one to the show?

Steve Worral can you get one to the show?.........Buddy ol pal !!!

Posted 2/5/2004 12:26 PM (#96020 - in reply to #96001)

Justin, I mean 5-2, When you have a 20 Acre, 6-10ft deep pond next to your store, demos are completely possible...and I demo them at least 2x a week, and Aqua-Vu has time and time again shown a better quality picture. Any unit when outside in extreme cold is going to have battery problems. And as I stated having both infared and multi-color is a bonus....but they do not have the durability...I have BOTH and have had my OVS returned 2x already!

If you'd bother to read the previous post, you'd see that I ask qualifying qestions to see what camera serves usage the best

I've easily seen 9 OVS cameras returned to 1 Aqua-VU.

The Nate
Posted 2/5/2004 12:31 PM (#96021 - in reply to #95910)

I have had the same aqua-vu for the last 5 years and have not had a problem with it at all. The battery does drain relatively quick when ice fishing but other than that it has worked great. My only complaint is tha it is difficult to tell where the camera is pointing however I had mine before they started to put all the cool depth and directional stuff on the screen. Good luck with your purchase.

p.s.The only real drawback is when you cant buy a bite but can see fish all over the damn place.
JWB475
Posted 2/5/2004 12:34 PM (#96022 - in reply to #95910)

Gander Mt. Guide,

Have you tested the 560 yet?

I didn't think anybody had one...

Posted 2/5/2004 1:20 PM (#96027 - in reply to #96022)

Nope, not the new 560.
esox23
Posted 2/5/2004 1:55 PM (#96030 - in reply to #95910)

Last I heard Marcum was having a problem with the company this is doing the molds for the casing, apparently Marcum is changing companies and that is why it is taking longer then originally anticipated.

Esox23

Grampa_Joe
Posted 2/5/2004 2:28 PM (#96036 - in reply to #95910)

Esox23,
You heard correct. Problems in manufacturing. When they get things nailed, it will be out.

Gander, actually in talking to the guys at Thorne Bros they sold about 60-70 units last year (MarCum 400/500) and had maybe 2 returns. They figured those were both guys who beat them up on 4-wheelers and sleds. Kind of like the problems initially this year with the Aqua-View Ice Pro connectors.
Rather than ratios, how many in actual numbers are you getting back, for what reason, and at what store?

Joe Carlson
castmaster
Posted 2/6/2004 9:17 AM (#96111 - in reply to #95910)

i have a vista cam. not sure if they are still being made or not. doesnt have all the fancy extras such as depth, temp etc. but it does have one great feature that NONE of the others have. the monitor is a regular 9" tv. so when nothings biting, you can catch the vikings or wild games etc. in alot of places you can only get channels 4 or 9 to come in, but still beats staring at a dead screen!
Justin Gaiche
Posted 2/9/2004 6:49 PM (#96464 - in reply to #95910)

Gander Mtn. Guide,

When you said Justin, were you refering to me?