Question for MI Non-Members
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 1/30/2004 8:21 AM (#95411)
Subject: Question for MI Non-Members

There has been a lot of debate within Muskies, Inc about why people drop out of MI.  Some people believe the reason is primarily due to something missing at the chapter level while others believe the reason has something to do with International.  For those of you who used to be members of Muskies, Inc but have let your membership expire, please post what kept you from renewing.  MI needs to understand the root of the problem to fix it.
MikeHulbert
Posted 1/30/2004 8:27 AM (#95413 - in reply to #95411)
Subject: RE: Question for MI Non-Members

The biggest reason I dropped out was because of people lying about their fish just to recieve a stupid trophy.

Fish that are 27 inches turn into a 34 just to have it count towards their points.

Also jelously sucked. People couldn't handle others catching more fish.
I don't have time to play little games with people about their points or number of catches.

Mike Hulbert
tomyv
Posted 1/30/2004 8:31 AM (#95415 - in reply to #95411)

I was a member of muskies inc. I dropped it, simply because I just didn't get much out of it. The club seemed completely focused on tournaments, which I have fished on occasion, but that wasn't why I joined. It's an hour drive for me to make it to the meetings. If the chapter was focused more on conservation issues, I think people would get more out of it. I do think muskies inc. is a great organization. But when people go to the meetings, it's not exactly warm and friendly to new members, somewhat of the "old guard" theory going on there. I've heard that from quite a few people, and have somewhat experienced it myself.
goalie50
Posted 1/30/2004 8:54 AM (#95419 - in reply to #95411)

I dropped out because my travel was really crazy and I wasn't getting to the meeting. I was also turned off due to the fact that a few members ended up doing all the work.
BALDY
Posted 1/30/2004 10:19 AM (#95431 - in reply to #95419)

I dropped out because it was about an hour drive to the closest chapter meetings. I was not getting anything out of it without attending meetings. If I ever move close enough to make the chapter meetings I would probably join back up.

Luke
sworrall
Posted 1/30/2004 10:34 AM (#95437 - in reply to #95431)

I dropped out because of the overall protectionist attitude I encountered with the International. The credo reads pretty clearly as to what the founders had in mind, and in my personal view, that has been internalized.

My personal feeling is that MI needs to reach out to the general fishing public more, and look one heck of a bunch less like an exclusive 'club'.

I like the overall concept and the individual clubs do a great job. Poeple like Jono and LC work so hard one would sometimes question their sanity, and that is what makes MI successful. Perry has labored hard to change the 'old guard attitude' in the International, so maybe I will rejoin when at the Madison MI School.
kevin
Posted 1/30/2004 11:30 AM (#95447 - in reply to #95411)

I let mine run out because the chapter I was with stopped mailings to me. I never knew what was going on. Just rejoined a different chapter. What I like about the individual chapters is some of them actually help stock lakes, nice feeling releasing all those 11"-15" fish knowing they will become some monsters in a few years.
Mark H.
Posted 1/30/2004 12:35 PM (#95454 - in reply to #95411)

I can tell you personally that the "old guard" attitude that some have referred to is being addressed at the international level and at many chapters. About 15-20 years ago I experienced that locally and walked away quietly. A few years ago Jono asked me to come to a meeting or two.. I thought what the heck, and sure enough it was a more friendly and welcome environment. Change is difficult especially within organizations that have people volunteering their time and efforts.

Most recently I have taken over as President of the First WI Chapter. One of my goals was to personally call those who have left over the past few years and find out why...? This is a good thread, and the feedback is appreciated as I know others from M.I. are watching this develop.

The earlier comment on "the contest"... I have to say is a valid point of view among many. My personal feelings are that the organization has the potential to become the Ducks Unlimited of the fishing world but I will be forthright in saying that before it ever has that chance the contest has to go... I know of no other wildlife organization that has a registration contest...DU, Turkey, Whitetails, Grouse, Pheasants, Trout Unlimited, etc.
It is my understanding the the contest was origionally created to help encourage catch n' release...i.e. reward people for releasing large fish as well as logging entries on a data base to be accessed by members for personal interests. Registration for research is one thing, a contest is something totally different. Even though the reward is minimal at best, a $10 plaque and a few bragging rights, there are those who will perceive more value to it than what there actually is. I think the article written by Jim Bunch in the last issue talking about the contest, registration, etc. drove home some good points.

International is trying to hard to promote it's new vision of "Youth, Fisheries, and Resource"... There are other clubs that started as off-shoots of M.I. started by former M.I. members or by those who wanted to remain a "local" organization.

What is important is that all clubs work together through the alliance to speak as one voice when issues such Leech Lakes Five Mile Point come up.

Great thread...

Remember...the only way to change something you disagree with is to get involved...!!!

Reef Hawg
Posted 1/30/2004 12:58 PM (#95458 - in reply to #95411)

Good post Mark.  As a mamber for the past two years(I debated for 10 before finally joining) I really like the contest.  i could care less about prizes or accolades, but really like the information one can gain from the historical lists.  If people are lying, they are only hurting themselves, and why would they for a 10 dollar plaque.  The data base that MI has established over the years is awesome, and I study it now and again when looking at timing vs. methods etc.  I agree that more could be done at the chapter level, and I feel each chapter has to address that as well.  Our chapter(Central WI) does stock muskies in local waters, but I know many others do not.  I also sometimes wonder if as a MN based club, that more money(through membership fees etc) are kept there.  I'll remain a member as I like to help our chapter, and feel we can make it even better.

Edited by Reef Hawg 1/30/2004 12:59 PM
MuskyMidget
Posted 1/30/2004 4:38 PM (#95490 - in reply to #95411)

I have seen it written elsewhere recently by a few individuals that growth isn't necessarily good for MI.

The "old guard" attutide as some of you refer to it, still stands tall with some members.

I am not saying MI as a whole is like this, but with that attitude of "if you don't agree with us, we don't want you" has to change...or MI's membership will continue to suffer because of it.

xllund
Posted 1/30/2004 8:03 PM (#95512 - in reply to #95411)

Some rather interesting response to Luke's thread. I have been a member of MI for about 5 yrs now. Got on the BOD of my local chapter after 2 years of involvement with the club. Steve W. is right on target when he mentions about those that volunteer all the time, go above and beyond the call of duty so to speak. I also agree with the comments of the "old guard" mentality. It is still there if you ask me. The contest? Dump it would be recomendation. It serves more ego's than anything else. MI has a LONG way to go before earning the respect that it should have. I dont personally agree with the way MI is heading, based on its current leadership, but that is just one mans opinion. I have heard more negative comments than praise, and after witnessing an event myself, I too am not impressed with the International. All things take time to change, I will support the efforts of change as much as I can. This I can say, I heard a rather disheartening statement about some communications that took place at the Chicago Musky Show. MF is not the forum to discuss it, but if it is true, its a poor reflection on MI.

I truly hope that MI can reach the level of respect that org's like DU, and others have reached. There are many that have their hearts in the right place, but unfortuneately their heads are in the wrong place.

ToddM
Posted 1/30/2004 8:32 PM (#95514 - in reply to #95411)

I am still a member but another reason I have heard why people no longer are in MI is because they do not like a certain member or members in their chapter for one reason on another. I went to another chapter meeting recently when a guy told me when a certain individual left that chapter and it was announced they all got up and cheered.
MRoberts
Posted 1/30/2004 9:19 PM (#95523 - in reply to #95411)

I was a member of the headwaters chapter for about 3 years, about 2 years ago I let my membership laps. It just wasn’t doing it for me. I think it is an excellent social organization as far as bringing musky nuts together, but I just didn’t have the time to make many of the events or get to deeply involved. If they would have spent more time fighting for the resource, trying to make the fishing better I probably would have continued as a member. If I would have had the time I might have become more involved to try and reach that end, but I just didn’t see it happening.

My decision was reinforced last spring when very few headwaters chapter members showed up to vote on the Wisconsin 50” size limit proposal. Headwaters chapter has more members than the number of people that showed up at the Vilas and Oneida county meetings, if half the members would have showed up and voted both counties probably would have passed. That really bothered me. I may be wrong, but I think I even heard someplace that a Wisconsin Musky Inc. chapter had a meeting that night and none of the members made it to the hearings. With a major musky issue up for vote that is unacceptable.

I guess if I would see Muskies, Inc become more politically involved I would probably become a member again.

Nail A Pig!

Mike
Eggy
Posted 1/30/2004 10:39 PM (#95528 - in reply to #95411)

If I remember correctly, it wasn't ameeting, it was their spring banquet. I don't know too many people who would blow off the banquet for the hearings. I don't really understand why they would schedule a banquet on that night, drawing sportsmen away from the very hearings that decide the direction their outdoor sports will take, but I bet they sold all their tickets!
DRMUSKIE
Posted 1/31/2004 5:51 AM (#95545 - in reply to #95411)

Left due to lack of any chapter at all out here in eastern NY. Would rejoin despite this fact if MI's focus was on restocking local lakes. Understand also that in some areas, local fishermen would much rather see their dues going to local stocking rather than to a National/International where the "conservation objective" is seen as marginally beneficial.
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 1/31/2004 9:02 AM (#95555 - in reply to #95411)

The "old guard" mentality had been an issue of the International for years. We at the Milwaukee Chapter basically ignored them for years, and acted as if we were autonomous. We could have functioned just as well without them as with them.
The international President Mr. Perry has worked tireously to change the organization from the top down into a more user friendly group. He has done alot towards that end.
There is still much to do, but progress is made everday!
It may be time for all those who had let their memberships expire to consider rejoining.
Any attempt at making positive change to any issue is based upon who has the greatest number of people behind issue. Joining Muskies Inc., as with joining most any other outdoor interest organization is a positive step for our interests. The "anti" hunting and fishing groups are certainly organized, we need to be as well.
No organization is perfect. Muskies Inc. has alot more positive than negative going for it with a real positive future on the horizon, is again worth your membership!

Edited by Steve Van Lieshout 1/31/2004 9:06 AM
Wood
Posted 1/31/2004 10:24 AM (#95561 - in reply to #95411)

I am still new to musky fishing. Going on my second full year. I have been thinking of joining but the problem is I work Second shift and I wouldn't make it to any meetings.I just wondered what members and former members got out of joining?
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 2/1/2004 11:31 AM (#95630 - in reply to #95411)

You should join even if you are a second shift worker. Some of many reasons are: 1) You can still attend outings and programs on weekends; 2) Our Chapter (Milwaukee) has a monthly newsletter which gives the transcripts of all the speakers at the monthly meetings, as well as the calender of future activities; 3) The great people that you meet are all outdoors types, you can end up with new hunting and fishing partners;
4) No matter where you want to go muskie fishing, there is someone in our chapter, atleast, who has gone there and can be a resource of good and bad aspects of a potential trip; 5) Among the Chapter members are bait builders and manufacturers. Many times you maybe able to try out baits long before they are available at retail outlets; 6) The Chapter members are great resources for all aspects of life, besides potential friends, they can be business contacts for goods and services you may need; 7) From a political standpoint, politicians and governmental groups such as the DNR tend to only listen to large groups of constituents. By being a member of Muskies Inc. your voice representing MI and the combined voice of MI, will carry more clout on any issue than your single individual voice would.
Our Chapter has members who live as far as Texas and Florida. If there isn't a Chapter that you feel comfortable with, join ours!

Edited by Steve Van Lieshout 2/1/2004 12:37 PM
muskiekid
Posted 2/2/2004 11:26 AM (#95683 - in reply to #95411)

I am an independent member. There's no chapter within 200 miles of me here in Maryland (not exactly Musky country, but we do have pretty good Tiger fishing). From what I've seen on this thread, many of you are not aware of the "partnership" that Gander Mountain & Muskies, Inc. just created. It appears that this "partnership" will funnel a bundle of money into the organization, resulting (hopefully) in the organization being better funded. The downside (in the latest magazine) was one heck of a lot of Gander advertising in the magazine (including on the front cover)and a ton of it on the first several pages of the publication. It's also on the left side of the website below the index of subjects. I questioned this & was told that it was a one-time only thing. We shall see.

I have learned a lot (even found out about this board & others) by joining Muskies, Inc. Thanks to Ed Jackson (Jackson lures) for the archives of articles. Without this great organization, I would know nothing of Muskie fishing.

However, as the individual out here on my own, I wonder what the people are like that do participate in meetings, tournaments - that sort of stuff. Never met any. I'm also wonder....are you chapter members out on the lake in $20,000-30,000 boats or is there room for the average guy (in their 14' jonboat) welcome too? Thanks - Tom

Edited by muskiekid 2/2/2004 11:28 AM
Musky Fever
Posted 2/2/2004 11:46 AM (#95684 - in reply to #95411)

I am still a member BUT I agree with the people that responded here.
Musky fishing is filled with EGO'S, it's kind of sickening to sit and hear people talk about what THEY did or what THEY caught. 80% of the time it's just BULL anyway.

I stay a member so my little bit of money can hopefully help out with some stockings or something along that nature.

As far as the Lunge Log goes, I think they should throw the whole thing out the window, most guys lie about the info anyway so there is nothing to take from it. I haven't turned in a fish in years, I know I catch fish, I don't need to tell other people about it to make me feel good.

Sorry, just my 2 cents:)
MeHabeeb
Posted 2/2/2004 1:01 PM (#95690 - in reply to #95411)

Ralph,

C'mon - most people lie on the information submitted to the lunge log? I find that hard to believe. I don't lie in what I put in there, nor does anybody that I fish with on a consistent basis. Maybe some people do, but I would say that the majority don't.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 2/2/2004 1:40 PM (#95693 - in reply to #95690)

I agree with MeHabeeb. I don't put anything down that is untrue. The only people that read it is members and friends of members.

Who cares if they know what I caught my fish on. They can go to the same lake and try the same bait and get skunked !!!

The lunge log is my info and others who I share lots of info with anyway.

Maybe it will come back and haunt me sometime or maybe I will gain some info from others. I think it can be a win-win situation for all involved.

I like to go over the lunge log and compare times, days, lures, ect....

I will continue to be a member and work to get more to join Muskie Inc.

The more members the stronger we can be. If your not in with us, you can't complain because your not there to help Muskies Inc.

Lets all get involved and try to change Muskies Inc for the better.
magfishing
Posted 2/6/2004 2:16 PM (#96149 - in reply to #95411)

I was a member from 1980 to about 1986, I did not like the weight divisions at the tournaments, nor did I like the dead fish photos in the magazine, I thought the group should be more "purists" but I could not get them to change their minds, the old guard gave me alot of flack for it. I quit the group and have not paid attention to them since, by the way, Do they still have weight divisions and photos of dead fish? A couple of those guys are still around, I notice that they are big catch and release guys now. hmmmm...........
MuskieSlayer
Posted 2/6/2004 7:23 PM (#96184 - in reply to #95411)

I was a member for only one year. I was just getting into Muskie fishing and wanted to learn more. A rep at a local show told me about all the helpful info and tackle discounts I could get. Turns out the rep signed me up for his chapter (almost an hour away) rather than the one five minutes from my house. I know I could go to the one by my house, but the meetings aren’t for me, I tried. To me it was a total waste of money. Although the magazine is making improvements, it’s still sub par. I could care less about what other people are catching. How about reviews of all the new gear (unbiased), more tips and tricks, and more photos. I can pay less for a more useful magazine subscription and buy my baits through cheaper retailers than those who offer discounts to MI members.

Posted 2/8/2004 1:04 PM (#96283 - in reply to #95411)

I am still a member and probably will remain one. However, I do think I know waht turns peoiple off about M.I. Too much attention toward points, contests, competition, and big egos. I have always felt and always will, that our attention should go toward things such as habitat improvement, pollution watchdogs, working with our fish biologist, etc, etc. I will stay in Muskies Inc because I hope my membership will show the WV Dept of Nat Resources that there are folks like me who are interested in muskie fishing. Maybe that will help direct more state funds in the direction of improving our fishery.
MiserMike
Posted 2/9/2004 11:15 AM (#96402 - in reply to #95630)

Good to see a FEW positive comments about MI. I've fished muskies since the 70s, but never more than ten days in any year. I just joined MI at the Milwaukee expo, thinking I'd be helping the resource, but the "old-guard / unwelcoming-to-newbies" comments bummed me out. I know I won't be able to attend many -- if any -- meetings, outings, contests or banquets, so I opted to get chapter info from Hayward / 13, where I do what little fishing I do, rather than Milwaukee / 35, closest to home. Did I make the right choice of Chapter? Whadya think?
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 2/9/2004 12:26 PM (#96414 - in reply to #96402)

Mike:

I don't really think it matters as much about which chapter you elect to affiliate with.  Most chapters welcome members of other chapters to any of their functions.  Its supposed to be one big happy family.

ps. Don't get bummed out about the negative aspects of this thread.  The thread was started to help get some understanding of what people thought was missing when they were members so MI can make changes to improve the club and perhaps get them to renew.

mikie
Posted 2/9/2004 1:17 PM (#96421 - in reply to #96414)

I attended my first MI chapter meeting last Saturday. Doors opened at noon and it was 10 that night before most of us left. Chapter 9 seems to be built on the concept of fellowship, and there was plenty of that. Brand new members shared stories with folks who had been members a long time. Art Anderson came down and had a lot to say. The lure auction generated over $700 for the chapter, including 4 or 5 Hughes River baits that were made especially for the chapter that went for over $50 apiece. The high point was the kids' awards, for sure. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be back next year. m
Shep
Posted 2/9/2004 1:58 PM (#96426 - in reply to #96421)

MiserMike,

The Milwaukee Chapter overall is a great bunch of guys. Anytime you have a membership of 400+, you will no doubt have a couple that are, shall we say, knobs. However, most of the people that attend regularly are good guys, and are willing to share info, tips, and even outings. We have a good banquet, the Pewaukee Classic, the Ice fisheree, support Copper & Bobbers, the rearing pond, support the Pewaukee Lake study, and several other activities. We have awesome speakers that Craig lines up.

As SVL mentioned, we funtioned for quite a while without regard to the international. With Perry's hard work the past couple years, I think he has helped turn the focus of MI to a more positive one. Let's hope our new Pres will continue on this path.

If I hear of any current member, from any chapter, who does not want MI to grow, because new members don't "think" a certain way, I will recommend they be dismissed. We don't need that elitist attitude.

PS. Eggy, the chapter you referred to having a banquet on Spring hearing nite was the Milwaukee chapter, and that was rectified beginning last year. It was not held last year on the same night, and won't be in the future.