January in SE Ohio
mikie
Posted 1/14/2004 12:11 PM (#93517)
Subject: January in SE Ohio

My buddy Tom called Monday night, "Mikie, can you go fishing in the morning?" Sure thing! When I got to his house, he was cookin bacon and eggs. We headed out to some small stream in the midst of nowhere. He has property owners' permission to fish. Within an hour, he had these two fish on. The first was a pretty good fighter, both on Rapalas. Then, one hit mine, musta t-boned it because the first good pull I gave, the lure came back and the 'ski did a funny little topwater freedom dance just to show who was better. Within 20 min. I had another one up, but he just nudged the lure, decided it wasn't lunch, and went on. Four up in one morning, not bad for mid-winter in these parts. enjoy, m

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(tom1-13-04.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(muskie1-13-04.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tom1-13-04.jpg (40KB - 1279 downloads)
Attachments muskie1-13-04.jpg (36KB - 483 downloads)
captain frank
Posted 1/14/2004 1:31 PM (#93543 - in reply to #93517)
Subject: RE: January in SE Ohio

Mikie, I have a deer hunting cabin in coschocton county Ohio on the walholding river. Are there any good muskie opportunities near there for my down time when hunting?
mikie
Posted 1/14/2004 1:41 PM (#93548 - in reply to #93543)

Wow, that's an excellent smallmouth river down below the Mohawk Dam. Your closest muskies would be in Leesville Lake and Salt Fork Lake. Don't know much about 'skis in streams up there but I can always ask! m
captain frank
Posted 1/14/2004 1:48 PM (#93552 - in reply to #93517)

Thanks Mikie, any info would be great, don't know much about the area other than deer hunting. Sure is beautiful down there.
RiverMusky
Posted 1/14/2004 2:12 PM (#93565 - in reply to #93517)

Way to go Mikie!  I would take any kind of action in the middle of January. I was actually waiting for the creek's around here to settle down abit, then I was going to try for the crazy creek Muskie's. I love fishing them this time of year, however it seem's I'm alway's caught up in buying lure's and getting stuff ready for warmer weather. Thank's for getting my fever started again, I may try and get out this weekend myself.  Maybe you can go back on them and catch the one that got away.

cpr

Chris

muskie_man
Posted 1/14/2004 2:36 PM (#93571 - in reply to #93517)

Great job mike. Glad to here of some fish caught around here. Were you guys wading the stream or was you in a boat?
Mikes Extreme
Posted 1/14/2004 8:38 PM (#93611 - in reply to #93571)

Mikie, you are a muskie magnet. The only muskies I can catch now is the ones that eat our walleye tip-ups. I try to set up just before dark so I don't get the toothy critters by accident. We have caught our share this year through the ice.

Go get some more....Musky man!!!!!
ManitouDan
Posted 1/15/2004 6:51 AM (#93629 - in reply to #93517)

Hey Mikie -- You are a muskie magnet !!!! (for your partner) JUST KIDDIN' DUDE Hey you did'nt head down into scioto county did ya? Possably Brush Creek or Sunfish Creek ? Got a call from a buddy in Clay Co.(ky.) yesterday , he nailed a 46 incher out of a small stream near his home. The creeks down hear are perfect right now, up from all the rain and green green green , the only problem is its about 18 degrees out now . Hard to fish for more than a couple hours. See you soon at the ohio show. Dan
mikie
Posted 1/15/2004 7:02 AM (#93633 - in reply to #93629)

Dan, I'd like to try those streams, Tom says the Brush Creek float is one of the best. I'm thinking you are right about the magnet for other people's fish. And, that's just fine, as long as I get to go fishing I'm very happy.
Oh, Extreme One, I hope some of our lakes start to freeze again, I hear there are trout biting under the ice. Frozen mud was much better to walk on than slogging thru the soft mud. Tom wears waders so he can get in the creek with the fish in the net. He's quite a stick, and has posted here before as Buckeye Tom. Send him a 'good game'. m