youtube/internet, good or bad for musky fishing?
Dave T.
Posted 5/24/2021 9:06 AM (#980147)
Subject: youtube/internet, good or bad for musky fishing?

morning all, just wondered what you think on this. i think the internet def has its positives for fishing, not so sure on youtube. i fish a lot of smaller lakes and guys post videos and you may as well just put up the gps coordinates because soon after you cant find a place to park or fish.. maybe im just getting grumpy in my old age, and i love videos of fishing, but man, maybe try to hide the location please!

i dont know. it seems there are tons of musky fisherman now too! which is good for the sport, but not sure there are enough lakes around here to support em all..

anyway, the old man saying get off my grass rant is over, just curious what you all think..
jamesb
Posted 5/24/2021 9:28 AM (#980148 - in reply to #980147)
Subject: Re: youtube/internet, good or bad for musky fishing?

Everyone has a "secret lake or spot". Good chances though that your secret spot is also a thousand other people's spot.
Dave T.
Posted 5/24/2021 9:47 AM (#980149 - in reply to #980148)

jamesb - 5/24/2021 9:28 AM

Everyone has a "secret lake or spot". Good chances though that your secret spot is also a thousand other people's spot.

oh im sure, but i didnt say it was a secret spot, just a lake ive fished for a few years. and the pressure seemed to increase after some people started posting videos..

of course i'd like to keep it all to myself, i realize thats not going to happen, but all of these youtubers dont seem to realize that posting these videos might end up ruining their 'secret spot'.
Rob C
Posted 5/24/2021 10:17 AM (#980151 - in reply to #980147)

In my opinion its a win/lose situation.

Like you said, its good that the internet is bringing more people into the sport. More people means more money. More money means more fisheries that *should* be created and maintained.

On the other hand, videos and pictures definitely give away locations of fishing spots. I know of multiple YouTube channels and TV shows that have made shows on lakes I frequently fish, and on the same spots (one even showed the map)! Granted most of these areas are well known community spots, but it still adds more pressure to areas that can't handle it.

I think the only way to deal with this is just to have the DNR create more fisheries and maintain the ones we have now so that the pressure gets spread out. This idea is definitely not new, and has way too many silly barriers that we all know and groan about. Until then, people really ought to keep their spots, and especially "undiscovered" lakes out of the public eye as much as they can!

Edited by Rob C 5/24/2021 10:30 AM
raftman
Posted 5/24/2021 11:47 AM (#980156 - in reply to #980151)

I don’t always get it but it’s good. For whatever reason recording one’s self doing something and then posting it for everybody to watch keeps a generation of people engaged in the sport.
chuckski
Posted 5/24/2021 12:12 PM (#980158 - in reply to #980147)

I was at the dentist the other day and the girl cleaning my teeth was a native Colorado girl and we were talking about the days when it was cheap to live in Colorado and on your day off you could camp and fish almost anywhere. And the sky was blue. Now it's a place of half million dollar or more track houses and people everywhere and to go a lot of places you have to get reservation to get a camp sight or walk a trail for that matter. The sky is not that Colorado blue on the front range.
And when you go up north look how many places have a place on them! (wow that used to be a swamp) Less and less open places.

Dave T.
Posted 5/24/2021 12:32 PM (#980160 - in reply to #980147)

all great points.. and i know its inevitable. just be nice to not speed up the process by showing the world where ya are catching em! and fishing used to be nice cause you could get out and enjoy the peace and tranquility.

not how it is anymore unfortunately..
esoxaddict
Posted 5/24/2021 1:09 PM (#980161 - in reply to #980160)

I think there's something to be said for keeping small lakes quiet. The folks who are going to chase the "internet bite" instead of doing their own research probably aren't going to ruin much over the long term on larger waters. Once they realize the fish aren't jumping in the boat on Lake X they'll go back to the lakes they usually fish, throwing the "hot new bait" that's likely not that hot, and all will be what it once was.
sukrchukr
Posted 5/24/2021 1:52 PM (#980163 - in reply to #980147)

The issues I have is the handling. Ive seen muskies as small as 27" on a board...
why does a small fish like that need to be measured?? Does that youtuber just need more content? Just eyeball it and call it something close.... or do you even need to mention a length?? Ive seen the youtubers say "well, I turn in all my fish to Muskies Inc and its valuble info".... sure, but does it need to be shown on the channel?? People learn from watching those videos....and I think it might be teaching the wrong things to do.
Dave T.
Posted 5/24/2021 1:55 PM (#980164 - in reply to #980161)

esoxaddict - 5/24/2021 1:09 PM

I think there's something to be said for keeping small lakes quiet. The folks who are going to chase the "internet bite" instead of doing their own research probably aren't going to ruin much over the long term on larger waters. Once they realize the fish aren't jumping in the boat on Lake X they'll go back to the lakes they usually fish, throwing the "hot new bait" that's likely not that hot, and all will be what it once was.

i agree, shhh. this lake is just over a couple hundred acres, last time i was out there , im guessing at least 15 boats fishing musky.. but what can ya do...

im just selfish i guess.. at least the few guys i talked to were respectful.. except the guy that popped a nice one that i had raised twice 15 minutes earlier! bastages. :P
Dave T.
Posted 5/24/2021 1:57 PM (#980165 - in reply to #980163)

sukrchukr - 5/24/2021 1:52 PM

The issues I have is the handling. Ive seen muskies as small as 27" on a board...
why does a small fish like that need to be measured?? Does that youtuber just need more content? Just eyeball it and call it something close.... or do you even need to mention a length?? Ive seen the youtubers say "well, I turn in all my fish to Muskies Inc and its valuble info".... sure, but does it need to be shown on the channel?? People learn from watching those videos....and I think it might be teaching the wrong things to do.

totally agree with this as well, if its not your 1st musky, get it back in the water ASAP. but again, who are we to say? it does get a little upsetting though..

i know a bass guide down south, he does the same thing. lakes ive been fishing for decades, hes posting vids all over about them, and what do ya know, more people on my spots the last few years..
ToddM
Posted 5/24/2021 2:36 PM (#980167 - in reply to #980147)

I remember a video Eric Haataja put on his FB page fishing the oak creek plant. The fish are there or they are not. He was catching one after another. The comments? Not really comments tags, two and three at a time. By the weekend it was bumper boats. If you advertise what you are doing people will find it and share it pryamid style.
https://youtu.be/Hyxmj1Yf6Dk

Edited by ToddM 5/24/2021 2:38 PM
raftman
Posted 5/24/2021 2:51 PM (#980170 - in reply to #980167)

ToddM - 5/24/2021 2:36 PM

I remember a video Eric Haataja put on his FB page fishing the oak creek plant. The fish are there or they are not. He was catching one after another. The comments? Not really comments tags, two and three at a time. By the weekend it was bumper boats. If you advertise what you are doing people will find it and share it pryamid style.
https://youtu.be/Hyxmj1Yf6Dk

The surge of walleye fisherman on Geneva in the late fall and early winter has also been attributed to Haataja.
bbeaupre
Posted 5/24/2021 3:38 PM (#980173 - in reply to #980147)
Subject: RE: youtube/internet, good or bad for musky fishing?

Id say its good for the sport. It does suck when you see a spot turn "community" because It was featured online. I personally like the challenge/puzzle that is figuring out a body of water and what spots produce but there is a whole different group that just wants to post fish pics on instagram. Cant really fault them just not my thing
djwilliams
Posted 5/24/2021 4:23 PM (#980175 - in reply to #980147)

I got a different take on this. I love the internet and all the videos on Youtube and whatever else is out there, because the internet is like golf- it keeps lots more people busy and off the lakes.
sworrall
Posted 5/24/2021 4:41 PM (#980176 - in reply to #980163)

That's not social media's fault, it's some(not all, for sure) of the folks who make the videos you watch. Use the comment section or send them a message, keep it well-intentioned and non-confrontational, and educate. There's also more people on the water because of covid. Lots more.
sukrchukr
Posted 5/24/2021 8:48 PM (#980177 - in reply to #980176)

sworrall - 5/24/2021 4:41 PM

That's not social media's fault, it's some(not all, for sure) of the folks who make the videos you watch. Use the comment section or send them a message, keep it well-intentioned and non-confrontational, and educate. There's also more people on the water because of covid. Lots more.

youtube isnt a form of social media? The youtube superstars measuring EVERY fish that finds their net, IMO, isnt the greatest thing to be showing people watching these type vids looking to learn something.
As far as comments on those videos....yeah, there have been comments made, an opinion made in a respectful way...... only to be talked down to by the youtuber, called trolls and such things. Just b/c you have a GoPro and a youtube channel, you`re automatically a pro I guess...

Edited by sukrchukr 5/24/2021 9:00 PM
sworrall
Posted 5/24/2021 8:56 PM (#980178 - in reply to #980177)

sukrchukr - 5/24/2021 8:48 PM

sworrall - 5/24/2021 4:41 PM

youtube isnt a form of social media? The youtube superstars measuring EVERY fish that finds their net, IMO, isnt the greatest thing to be showing people watching these type vids looking to learn something.
As far as comments on those videos....yeah, there have been comments made, an opinion made in a respectful way...... only to be talked down to by the youtuber, called trolls and such things. Just b/c you have a GoPro and a youtube channel, you`re automatically a pro I guess...

Of course, YouTube is social media. I was simply suggesting to try to educate. It may be lost on the YouTuber (biting my tongue here) but it will not be on the general audience.
ChicagolandMusk
Posted 5/25/2021 7:00 AM (#980182 - in reply to #980147)

Social Media is great entertainment. Really good for the guides and folks in the industry. Think it hurts the weekend warriors / fairly hardcore non guides. Definitely sucks to have your fav lake or spot broadcasted to the world.
Dave T.
Posted 5/25/2021 9:50 AM (#980193 - in reply to #980173)

bbeaupre - 5/24/2021 3:38 PM

Id say its good for the sport. It does suck when you see a spot turn "community" because It was featured online. I personally like the challenge/puzzle that is figuring out a body of water and what spots produce but there is a whole different group that just wants to post fish pics on instagram. Cant really fault them just not my thing

i agree with this on larger bodies of water, but were only talking a couple hundred acre lakes, and i think that much pressure could harm the fishery.. and with that many boats its hard to find any spots to try, let alone new ones!
esoxaddict
Posted 5/25/2021 12:45 PM (#980198 - in reply to #980147)

Chasing the "Hot bite" on the internet is a fools errand. How many times have you seen an area "light up" for a day or an afternoon, only to find the fish and the bite gone like a fart in a windstorm the next day? And the next week, next season, next year... Spots cycle from season to season and year to year and even throughout the day. Until you understand seasonal migrations, movement of baitfish, and the characteristics that make your lake unique, watching someone on you tube catch a fish ain't gonna put one in your net.
ToddM
Posted 5/25/2021 1:03 PM (#980200 - in reply to #980198)

esoxaddict - 5/25/2021 12:45 PM

Chasing the "Hot bite" on the internet is a fools errand. How many times have you seen an area "light up" for a day or an afternoon, only to find the fish and the bite gone like a fart in a windstorm the next day? And the next week, next season, next year... Spots cycle from season to season and year to year and even throughout the day. Until you understand seasonal migrations, movement of baitfish, and the characteristics that make your lake unique, watching someone on you tube catch a fish ain't gonna put one in your net.

I would not say that for all bites. Indiana is still good but shadowed by LSC which is still good.
Dave T.
Posted 5/25/2021 1:56 PM (#980202 - in reply to #980147)

ToddM - 5/25/2021 1:04 PM

Dave T. - 5/25/2021 9:52 AM

and please dont turn this into a political post! i am so done with politics and all the division we have in the US right now.. another reason i like to fish, to get away from people!! :)

:)

ha, nope, ive hated people in general for decades, this recent nonsense just verified what i have thought for a longggg time.. :P
Dave T.
Posted 5/25/2021 1:58 PM (#980203 - in reply to #980198)

esoxaddict - 5/25/2021 12:45 PM

again, for most regular size musky lakes i'd agree, but this is a pond, not a lake, so there really isnt room for the extra pressure in my opinion..

but you are right about the bite, i've got nothing on this lake more than ive had success.. its musky fishing!
Gottagofast
Posted 5/25/2021 8:45 PM (#980211 - in reply to #980147)

I think it is bad. There is too many people as it is and adding more just means in general less parking spots, active fish etc... To go around
If you think more people out on the water will do anything but line manufacturers pockets I have a bridge to sell you.
sworrall
Posted 5/25/2021 9:16 PM (#980213 - in reply to #980211)

Gottagofast - 5/25/2021 8:45 PM

I think it is bad. There is too many people as it is and adding more just means in general less parking spots, active fish etc... To go around
If you think more people out on the water will do anything but line manufacturers pockets I have a bridge to sell you.[/QUOTE

https://www.statista.com/statistics/247669/fishing-license-holders-i...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1174479/fishing-industry-market-...

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/outdoors/6273564-More-peopl...
After absorbing all that,
You may not be considering the license fees that support the fisheries management, Excise taxes (look it up https://www.fws.gov/wsfrprograms/Subpages/AboutUs/ItemsTaxedJan2018....), tourism dollars supporting areas like the one I live in, hundreds of thousands of jobs the fishing industry supports, and the biggest thing...you and I are each are one portion of those statistics. Which learned to fish first? If I was first and I did so before the internet, do I have the right to dis you? Nope. As far as the manufacturers, are you using any of that gear? (rhetorical question)
esoxaddict
Posted 5/25/2021 10:04 PM (#980214 - in reply to #980211)

Gottagofast - 5/25/2021 8:45 PM

If you think more people out on the water will do anything but line manufacturers pockets I have a bridge to sell you.

'
Where is that bridge and how much do you want for it??

From where I sit, the only things sustaining muskie fishing are: 1. Demand, and 2. Money. It's a #*^@ed expensive fish to stock and maintain outside of it's natural habitat, and there's a lot of opposition to them even in their native range.

Ever sit in on a Muskies Inc. meeting? Ever gone to a show or a swap meet? Not to put too fine a point on it but... You got a bunch of old guys supporting these fisheries, and they've got a lot more money to spend than their younger counterparts. If we don't make one hell of an effort to bring more people, and more young people especially into this sport, there won't be ANY fish to go around.
Gottagofast
Posted 5/26/2021 7:02 AM (#980216 - in reply to #980147)

From where I stand I can't see what good the money is doing. Excise taxes have to be up with the amount of equipment in the average outdoorsman's collection, have you seen how much bigger and more expensive the average boat is? In Minnesota we passed the legacy amendment for more money to the resource (congress keeps trying to divert it), MN lottery money was originally for the same purpose, all MN license and registration went up a few years ago, boat landings are on average mor full the entire season with very few lag days. People who are out more spend more (excise tax). Boat landings keep having more no parking signs along the roads where overflow used to park.
While all of this is going on in Minnesota we keep loosing and not replacing fisheries staff. The number of projects they take on outside of walleye stocking are also down. With that in mind who wins from more people on a finite resource other than the people selling outdoor products?
North of 8
Posted 5/26/2021 7:07 AM (#980217 - in reply to #980216)

The money that comes to fishing from excise tax is not like a weekly paycheck. It takes time to work through the system, and be allocated. Public funds are subject to committees, hearings, etc. All those checks and balances that are not present in private business. To expect to see an impact from an increase in excise tax paid in 2020 in early 2021 is not realistic.
fishdawg
Posted 5/26/2021 7:07 AM (#980218 - in reply to #980147)

The amount information online regarding musky fishing is extraordinary. When I was learning to musky fish, I would go through the card catalogs of every library I could get to trying to find books on musky. Now information is every where and much of it is very good. The internet has greatly reduced the learning curve and has made the sport accessible to thousands.

That said, there are many who are willfully burning spots to get more views and more likes. If you going to post something, please go to some effort to protect the location. Am I asking too much?
tenthousandand1
Posted 5/26/2021 7:33 AM (#980221 - in reply to #980147)

Is the Internet bad for Muskie fishing? - asked on the Internet.

I'm grateful to every forum, vlogger, blogger and youtuber who ever posted with a muskie. Especially in February when it seems like I can't sharpen enough hooks. But, without the help of a few amazing guides and the Internet, my learning curve would have been much, much longer. Do you get props if everything you've learned is on the water? Sure. Enjoy the props.

The discussion got down to the heart of the matter - money. Money seems to ruin many of the good things that came from nature, but if we want to share our passions with others, usually the greenback gets into the middle of it. We (people) originally threatened to kill off the sport by harvesting every Muskie we caught. Now we're over-pressuring the fish and making it harder to catch them. Frankly, I'd rather have more pressure and more fish than less fish.
banditman
Posted 5/26/2021 7:41 AM (#980223 - in reply to #980147)

Id say that Youtube and the internet are good for those making money in the business. However, most of the vidoes ive watched are full of bad ideas about what equipment is best and how you should fish. Way to many guys out their that still dont understand how gear ratios work. Too many guys telling you that one brand is better and another is complete junk. I like to refer to these guys asd the "Musky Snobs.". You know the ones. Theyt started five years ago and they know everything there is to know about musky fishing becasue they stumbled into a 50 on their first time out. And their ways and ideas are the only right ones. Similar to our Woke community these days.
I think a lot of the presure we have seen in the last year for sure is just folks who would normally be traveling to canada to fish and now they have no choice but to fish localy. I know plenty of guys in my area that swore off fising in Wiscosnin beacause they were so spoiled by the fishing in canada. Last summer I saw all those guys fishing around here. As for the guys that feel they need to film all their fishing and show it to the world, just know that people will use your video and find your spot. My grandfather always told told people he caught his muskies and a different lake than the ones he acctully fished. That was in the 70s and 80s before musky fishing boomed. He knew then that people would take advantage. By showing people the exact spots on video, you know the "lazy" anglers will use that to find a spot to fish instead of doing their own homework.
I like the idea of educating people on the sport, but dont show people your spots. Try to keep some things secret or at least hard to find.
Gottagofast
Posted 5/26/2021 8:49 AM (#980224 - in reply to #980217)

Well that's weird. I am bought all the big newer boats and gear was all purchased just last year and not part of the long term trend of people spending more ( not 14ft bench seat boats and zebco 33s) while resource offices keep bleeding staff and being less and less likely to take on new projects, restorations.
North of 8
Posted 5/26/2021 9:20 AM (#980225 - in reply to #980224)

Gottagofast - 5/26/2021 8:49 AM

Well that's weird. I am bought all the big newer boats and gear was all purchased just last year and not part of the long term trend of people spending more ( not 14ft bench seat boats and zebco 33s) while resource offices keep bleeding staff and being less and less likely to take on new projects, restorations.

I can only speak to WI, but the staffing cuts here had nothing to do with excise tax but rather a deliberate act by the Walker administration to weaken the DNR. Budgets were cut, enforcement powers were curtailed by legislation. Nothing to do with excise tax levels.
chasintails
Posted 5/26/2021 9:31 AM (#980227 - in reply to #980147)

I don't think its a bad thing. It could be bad if your pet lake gets shown, but we need more numbers not less. More fisherman hopefully means more stocking and more lakes. Nothing you can really do about it anyway.
North of 8
Posted 5/26/2021 9:36 AM (#980228 - in reply to #980227)

chasintails - 5/26/2021 9:31 AM

I don't think its a bad thing. It could be bad if your pet lake gets shown, but we need more numbers not less. More fisherman hopefully means more stocking and more lakes. Nothing you can really do about it anyway.

It is important that the new fishermen are active in contacting elected representatives, supporting groups that lobby for the outdoors. An email from a constituent will mean much more than statistics from the DNR about number of fishermen. If you stay at a resort, let them know you are there for musky and ask if they owners are encouraging their legislators to support the sport. Money and votes are the only things legislators care about.
Dave T.
Posted 5/26/2021 9:39 AM (#980229 - in reply to #980218)

fishdawg - 5/26/2021 7:07

That said, there are many who are willfully burning spots to get more views and more likes. If you going to post something, please go to some effort to protect the location. Am I asking too much?

this is all i was asking from this post basically. film away, just dont show the obvious landmarks in the background please!
Dave T.
Posted 5/26/2021 9:53 AM (#980230 - in reply to #980147)

all great points too, this is what a forum is about..

and i love the watching most of the videos as well, especially in the winter. except the novice ones where they have the fish out of the water for like 2-3 minutes, that always drives me nuts!
ToddM
Posted 5/26/2021 11:14 AM (#980233 - in reply to #980225)

North of 8 - 5/26/2021 9:20 AM

I can only speak to WI, but the staffing cuts here had nothing to do with excise tax but rather a deliberate act by the Walker administration to weaken the DNR. Budgets were cut, enforcement powers were curtailed by legislation. Nothing to do with excise tax levels.

The walleye initiative has also taken a big bite out of musky stocking.
North of 8
Posted 5/26/2021 11:21 AM (#980234 - in reply to #980233)

ToddM - 5/26/2021 11:14 AM

True and that is a case of money and influence. The resort, tourist industry in northern WI pressured Walker and the legislature to stock walleyes because that is seen as the preferred fish of so many visitors. However, just heard a news story this morning that the great experiment on the Lake Minocqua Chain is not working well. It received a lot of stocking and has been catch and release for walleye for five years. Now, based on the surveys done by DNR, they are finding almost no natural reproduction of walleye in the chain and an odd balance of at least 3 female walleye for every male. They are proposing another 5 years of catch and release only. Speculation is that with the warming water temps, bass are out producing walleye and that this is a long term issue. Again, speculation, not enough data to know for sure.
kdawg
Posted 5/26/2021 11:32 AM (#980235 - in reply to #980233)

Is the internent good or bad for musky fishing? I believe it could be a little of both. Reading through the posts, there are many good points being made. Steve W. posted that's it's more for educating and I agree. I personally don't care about added pressure to any of the lakes I fish because I think the days of secret lakes are over. For the most part type in any lake you want and you will have the information you want. The key now is doing something different from all the masses the leads to success now. If the guys are throwing tens over the weeds, I'll throw a topwater at night. One more thing. I remember when I was a kid in the 70's and my parents would take my brother and sister and I to the Sports and Outdoor show at the old Chicago Amphitheater, where all the resorts from across the country would advertise come to our resort or lake region. Pictures of big fish would be shown, and the lakes would be named. Move forward into the 80's and you have In-fisherman magazine, Fishing Facts, Bassmaster, and others. Then the fishing show boom of the 90's. I remember hot locations were given out back then as well. Today, its the internet. The information is just a little easier to get now. Kdawg
sworrall
Posted 5/26/2021 3:47 PM (#980247 - in reply to #980225)

My son was working at the Woodruff DNR when that happened. Everyone there called it getting "Walkerized". Definite politics, and was the reason I was able to hire him away.
North of 8
Posted 5/26/2021 3:54 PM (#980248 - in reply to #980247)

sworrall - 5/26/2021 3:47 PM

My son was working at the Woodruff DNR when that happened. Everyone there called it getting "Walkerized". Definite politics, and was the reason I was able to hire him away.

Met a guy at the YMCA who had just retired during Walker's second term, had spent almost 40 years as a forester for the state. He said Walker and his DNR secretary made it crystal clear that the DNR's actions were not to be about science but rather whatever Walker and the legislature said it was to be. He was very glad he was old enough to retire. Younger scientists were looking for work in other states.
sworrall
Posted 5/26/2021 3:55 PM (#980249 - in reply to #980234)

North of 8 - 5/26/2021 11:21 AM

ToddM - 5/26/2021 11:14 AM

True and that is a case of money and influence. The resort, tourist industry in northern WI pressured Walker and the legislature to stock walleyes because that is seen as the preferred fish of so many visitors. However, just heard a news story this morning that the great experiment on the Lake Minocqua Chain is not working well. It received a lot of stocking and has been catch and release for walleye for five years. Now, based on the surveys done by DNR, they are finding almost no natural reproduction of walleye in the chain and an odd balance of at least 3 female walleye for every male. They are proposing another 5 years of catch and release only. Speculation is that with the warming water temps, bass are out producing walleye and that this is a long term issue. Again, speculation, not enough data to know for sure.

I can comment on that speculation. We fish that water for hundreds of hours each Winter with as many as 3 Aqua-Vu cameras deployed per man. The number of largemouth has literally exploded over the last decade to the point of being ridiculous, despite a no-size-limit rule on bass. A warden stopped by one evening and was watching my 10" Aqua-Vu on a tip-up minnow and a jig; we saw over a dozen different bass and two walleyes. I caught two of the bass. This was in less than a half-hour. Check out the videos on the Aqua-Vu Facebook page. I fear any return to a NR population of walleyes in many Wisconsin waters is a pipe dream.
North of 8
Posted 5/26/2021 4:12 PM (#980250 - in reply to #980249)

May be a dumb question, but are largemouth bass any good to eat? I have always released them but maybe they should be going in the frying pan?
JZ2386
Posted 5/26/2021 4:27 PM (#980252 - in reply to #980250)

I enjoy largemouth if they are caught when the water is in the low 70's or colder. Nice thick flakey white meat that just falls apart. Warmer water seems to make the meat mushier. I'm sure the smaller fish are better too. The lake I fish is 1 bass at least 18" limit. This is in southern Wisconsin.
North of 8
Posted 5/26/2021 4:31 PM (#980253 - in reply to #980252)

JZ2386 - 5/26/2021 4:27 PM

I enjoy largemouth if they are caught when the water is in the low 70's or colder. Nice thick flakey white meat that just falls apart. Warmer water seems to make the meat mushier. I'm sure the smaller fish are better too. The lake I fish is 1 bass at least 18" limit. This is in southern Wisconsin.

Thanks. Have not eaten bass in many decades but I remember as a kid in the 1960s my aunt cooked up a couple we caught in July or August and that was what I remembered, kind of mushy texture. But, she tended to over cook everything so I wasn't sure.
sworrall
Posted 5/26/2021 5:03 PM (#980254 - in reply to #980147)

We eat a lot of largemouth and we really like them. I prefer the smaller fish, and prepare them the same as panfish: rice flour with seasoned salt and spices to taste, roll the moist fillets in that mixture, and fry until crisp on both sides. No eggs, beer, or other stuff and definitely not regular flour. I found many batters keep most of the moisture in the fillet, which makes them mushy especially if the fillet spent the night in a bowl of water.

One tip, take all the silver belly meat off the fillet. Tiny amount of loss, and a large part of where not liking LMB fillets comes from.

There, see? The internet isn't all bad, this recipe makes fish taste really good!
Ranger
Posted 5/26/2021 5:18 PM (#980255 - in reply to #980147)

Anybody good guying about Youtube on this site is an idiot. Youtube and internet fishing sites are different sides of the same coin. They are both intended to share information and the more useful they are the more people pay attention. The more useful they are the more profitable they are. (Please forgive my grammatical errors.) Money is bad? This site now has advertisements imbedded here and there in our conversations. Many long time members advertise their baits and services in their signatures.

Is it all bad for fishing? No, it's great, more people on the water. Is it bad for the fish? You bet. Those poor critters are just trying to get a meal but increasingly they get a hook in the face and jerked to the surface by a member of a different species who thinks that's a fun thing to do. Think hard about that. What do you think about people casting onto lawns to catch cats and dogs? Get those pets to grab a toy with hooks then drag them out into the street. Catch and release, of course.

I wonder if the problem isn't more information. The problem is what we're doing with it.

Ok, enough, my ribeye is warmed to room temperature. Gotta go fire up the grill.

Yes, bass is a great fish to eat.

Edited by Ranger 5/26/2021 5:20 PM
TCESOX
Posted 5/26/2021 6:19 PM (#980257 - in reply to #980147)

I haven't tried very many different ways of cooking bass, and never really found them nearly as good as many other fish, but I do like little ones. About 8 or 9 inchers is all. I just use Shore Lunch, but as Steve said, crisp them up nicely, and they are quite good. Kind of like thicker pan fish.

As far as social media and the internet, I really have no clue. This is the ONLY social media I do. The only You Tubes I see, are some of the ones Josh puts in his Insider newsletter, or others that get posted here (like the guy casting a chicken). I'm on a computer most of the day at work, and other than visiting here, which I enjoy, I don't want to spend any more time on a computer. While pressure was increasing for the last few years prior to the pandemic, it seemed like a steady increase. The pandemic made things go nuts. I guess I don't mind the extra fisherpeople on the lakes so much. I try to talk to more people than I used to. At the boat launch, out on the lake, etc. Just trying to find out what their thing is. I feel like a lot of the "new" people are very amenable and appreciate a few tips (boat launch tips, lure choices, and what to look for in picking a spot for their type of fish). Most seem nice-eager-but nice. I do not appreciate the increase in pleasure boating. That is a big pain in the arse. The biggest gripe for me, is the lack of places to park the rig. It's one thing to share the lake with a bunch of other fisherman, I feel like I can find someplace to try some technique, even if it's busy, but when there is no place to park, and you are a solo, that is maddening. Pretty much limits you to early in the morning, late in the evening, or weekdays only.
North of 8
Posted 5/26/2021 6:32 PM (#980258 - in reply to #980254)

sworrall - 5/26/2021 5:03 PM

We eat a lot of largemouth and we really like them. I prefer the smaller fish, and prepare them the same as panfish: rice flour with seasoned salt and spices to taste, roll the moist fillets in that mixture, and fry until crisp on both sides. No eggs, beer, or other stuff and definitely not regular flour. I found many batters keep most of the moisture in the fillet, which makes them mushy especially if the fillet spent the night in a bowl of water.

One tip, take all the silver belly meat off the fillet. Tiny amount of loss, and a large part of where not liking LMB fillets comes from.

There, see? The internet isn't all bad, this recipe makes fish taste really good!

Ha! Thanks, when I get frustrated not catching musky, will try throwing some small top waters where I have seen smaller bass in the shallows, like next to my dock this morning, and try this recipe.
esoxaddict
Posted 5/26/2021 8:35 PM (#980262 - in reply to #980258)

I've eaten some bass, mostly back in the 70's when you ate whatever you caught without questioning whether it was the right thing to do or not... I found them to be very tasty if you like the taste of fish to begin with. Other that that I've been a catch and release guy for most of my life. That said, I remember when a large mouth bass was a rarity in the Northwoods, and what I've seen the last 10 years or so aligns with what Steve mentioned above. There are so many of them it's stupid! Didn't think of it my last few trips up, as we were busy chasing muskies and doing our part by ridding the lakes of small pike. Why people don't eat pike I'll never understand. But from now on, any large mouth we catch are going on the table with the pike.
Vilas15
Posted 5/27/2021 11:23 PM (#980292 - in reply to #980147)

Largemouth (and smallmouth) are considered sunfish and are actually in the same family as panfish so they should taste similar. Ive had smallmouth and it was great fried. If i ever caught more largemouth in vilas county id think about keeping some but i fish rocky lakes where the smallies seem to dominate.
Lightning
Posted 5/28/2021 1:28 PM (#980300 - in reply to #980147)

I think Muskie fishing sites YouTube are good overall. Just the amount of information alone is great. Some channels and anglers of course are not so good especially the ones that don't care of the fish. You got to kind of weed through it. Subscribe to the guys giving good info and respect the fish. It will help with more future anglers getting involved. Boat traffic is up heavily in my area but it always stinks in Northern Illinois. Most DNR's are being cut I think Anglers groups in general need to work together for a louder voice. Bass Anglers , Walleye, Panfish, Catfish , Trout Anglers all want the same thing. More waters to fish, stocking and the money to the DNR to stay in the DNR.  
sworrall
Posted 5/28/2021 5:26 PM (#980305 - in reply to #980147)

Some of those who began fishing before you blamed someone for you showing up, and that is ageless. They should have thanked them because they will be gone someday and you will remain to pass the torch to those who will keep things going after you are gone.

Anyone who's angry because the fishing companies make money forget how they got the gear they have, and what country in which we live.

There's a large number of folks who want fishing (some specifically muskie fishing) (and hunting) stopped, which Ranger referred to in his way. Zach, Andrew, and I are here to do battle with them and we have many times, to recruit new anglers and young anglers, provide a place to exchange ideas, and encourage conservation. I accepted the position of VP Communications/Marketing with Muskies Inc about a year ago, and the above is a large part of my volunteer job. I really am enjoying it.

Join Muskies Inc.
North of 8
Posted 5/28/2021 5:57 PM (#980306 - in reply to #980305)

Something else to consider is that the proliferation of TV shows magazines etc., about musky fishing contributed greatly to the CPR ethic of most who fish muskies today. Social media has also been critical in building support for increasing size limits, increasing awareness of replicas, rather than skin mounts.
Every year on this site there are good posts for new musky fishermen on having proper release tools. Think how many fish just that kind of shared knowledge has saved.
I started fishing musky seriously in the early 70s and the biggest discussion point was how to dispatch legal sized musky. Club, tire iron, oversized file used to trim horses hooves?
ToddM
Posted 5/28/2021 8:14 PM (#980307 - in reply to #980306)

North of 8 - 5/28/2021 5:57 PM

Something else to consider is that the proliferation of TV shows magazines etc., about musky fishing contributed greatly to the CPR ethic of most who fish muskies today. Social media has also been critical in building support for increasing size limits, increasing awareness of replicas, rather than skin mounts.
Every year on this site there are good posts for new musky fishermen on having proper release tools. Think how many fish just that kind of shared knowledge has saved.
I started fishing musky seriously in the early 70s and the biggest discussion point was how to dispatch legal sized musky. Club, tire iron, oversized file used to trim horses hooves?

I think there is a regression. Before YouTube and the internet we had shows that preached CPR and selective harvest. I am not seeing much of that on FB and when brought up it's a bash fest and not well received. I see a backlash. Lot's of YouTube videos that are only Bout the person being filmed. Not all but alot. I personally am not seeing the message like I used to. Yeah it's out there if you seek it.but it's not everywhere. A record number of new people fishing. I am seeing fish laying on the ground, rocks and mishandling on a daily basis. Now would have been the time for positive messages everywhere. Seeing lots of bigger crappies over 13 kept too. The meet hogs are mainstream.

Edited by ToddM 5/28/2021 8:17 PM
sworrall
Posted 5/28/2021 8:48 PM (#980309 - in reply to #980307)

I have my timeline reflecting what I want to see, so I'm not seeing much of that on the Book of Faces. What I do see is a good amount of folks preaching conservation, so there is, as usual, a balance of sorts. All the self-appointed YouTuber fishing-stars lined up in a row would not come close to our daily unique user base here, so I think we are OK, but as always, there's work to do..
Jeremy
Posted 5/29/2021 2:12 PM (#980317 - in reply to #980147)

I do a lot of fly fishing and not just for trout. But generally it's the trout streams and that general forum(s) that this applies to.

"NEVER,NEVER, EVER post stream names" is an understood rule for the reasons mentioned above. And you'd be surprised how many nimrods do just that and then there are those that outright just post asking for the location...

It's just something you don't ever do, period.

When I take pics of my fish now - any fish- all you'll see is the water up close to the boat. This I've learned to do after a couple failures that were all too obvious and by accident.

With streams, it's even more important than with lakes as there are far fewer, the ability to access them due to the private lands they are on and the "best spots" are really specific and a myriad of other reasons makes the point all the more important.

You just need to keep "mum" as much as possible. Comes down to basic common sense...

Point being, I quite agree with the orig. poster!
ToddM
Posted 5/29/2021 3:01 PM (#980318 - in reply to #980309)

sworrall - 5/28/2021 8:48 PM

I have my timeline reflecting what I want to see, so I'm not seeing much of that on the Book of Faces. What I do see is a good amount of folks preaching conservation, so there is, as usual, a balance of sorts. All the self-appointed YouTuber fishing-stars lined up in a row would not come close to our daily unique user base here, so I think we are OK, but as always, there's work to do..

I am literally getting ripped as I type this for posting the regs for snagging in Fibland for someone posting an illegally snagged fish on his snagging rod.
sworrall
Posted 5/30/2021 10:06 AM (#980336 - in reply to #980318)

ToddM - 5/29/2021 3:01 PM

sworrall - 5/28/2021 8:48 PM

I am literally getting ripped as I type this for posting the regs for snagging in Fibland for someone posting an illegally snagged fish on his snagging rod.

Have to remember that's a select few people yelling at you. You are in the right, so post and leave, never looking back is my tactic. The rest of the folks know. Hard to do, but I have learned from 20 years moderating here it works and gets the desired results.

Another question, those of you who started muskie fishing in the mid '90s (so probably around 35 or more years old)...what would you have known about the sport if it was not for electronic communication?
Brian Hoffies
Posted 5/30/2021 5:14 PM (#980356 - in reply to #980147)

If it's good for the fisherman personally it seems they like it, if it hurts them seems they hate it.

Who knew?
RJ_692
Posted 6/1/2021 7:28 AM (#980367 - in reply to #980336)

sworrall - 5/30/2021 10:06 AM
Another question, those of you who started muskie fishing in the mid '90s (so probably around 35 or more years old)...what would you have known about the sport if it was not for electronic communication?

For me i don't think it would have changed all that much. I still fish most of the same lakes with similar baits (or now mostly home made versions of). Still have a boat with an in dash flasher lol.

We would have still gotten info from print media it would have just been slower.

true tiger tamer
Posted 6/1/2021 8:02 PM (#980378 - in reply to #980147)

It is good if posters are smart about what they post. Too many get excited about a nice catch and post too much information, thus blowing up "There" spot.
esoxaddict
Posted 6/3/2021 2:53 PM (#980402 - in reply to #980147)

I remember some years back someone posted a picture of a fish, (not a very big one at that) and in the background was a very distinct house that I recognized immediately. I replied "hey, I know that spot!" His response: "No you don't!" It led to a few PM's back and forth with this guy telling me I couldn't possibly know where it was or what lake it was, etc. And of course, telling me to keep it quiet like it was some sort of secret once he realized that I know exactly where it was. If you don't want your spot "blown up", wouldn't you just take the picture without the most obvious house in the background?

I had another guy say "don't tell anyone where I caught it!" after me showing a picture of a Yahara Chain fish that clearly showed the capitol building and the convention center in the background.
Dave T.
Posted 6/4/2021 10:44 AM (#980410 - in reply to #980402)

esoxaddict - 6/3/2021 2:53 PM

I remember some years back someone posted a picture of a fish, (not a very big one at that) and in the background was a very distinct house that I recognized immediately. I replied "hey, I know that spot!" His response: "No you don't!" It led to a few PM's back and forth with this guy telling me I couldn't possibly know where it was or what lake it was, etc. And of course, telling me to keep it quiet like it was some sort of secret once he realized that I know exactly where it was. If you don't want your spot "blown up", wouldn't you just take the picture without the most obvious house in the background?

I had another guy say "don't tell anyone where I caught it!" after me showing a picture of a Yahara Chain fish that clearly showed the capitol building and the convention center in the background.

yep, i dont care if people come and fish local lakes by me, its a free world, but personally i wouldnt go up to their areas and fish small local lakes and make 4 frickin videos just so they can sell a few baits that they make.. at least im guessing thats why they are doing it.. just seems disrespectful to me... what can ya do.. now the closest musky lake to me is over loaded and will be over fished..

oh well..

Edited by Dave T. 6/4/2021 10:46 AM
Esox Chaos
Posted 6/9/2021 11:29 AM (#980502 - in reply to #980147)

The internet has been around for over 20 years now!! Has GoPros really changed the fishing pressure on your favorite lake much??? People are going to musky fish whether they see it on YouTube or not!! Some places, especially creeks and rivers should go nameless and maybe not even be filmed in certain spots that might be obvious. Yet, for most lakes that are public, someone else has fished that spot before you found it!! There tons of info out there and anglers are smarter and better equipped!

Frankly if an idiot mishanldes a musky it's because he is an idiot and not because he bought a $350 GoPro. I film my fishing expeditions, but I always put the fish first!!
Dave T.
Posted 6/13/2021 8:45 AM (#980594 - in reply to #980502)

Esox Chaos - 6/9/2021 11:29 AM

The internet has been around for over 20 years now!! Has GoPros really changed the fishing pressure on your favorite lake much??? People are going to musky fish whether they see it on YouTube or not!! Some places, especially creeks and rivers should go nameless and maybe not even be filmed in certain spots that might be obvious. Yet, for most lakes that are public, someone else has fished that spot before you found it!! There tons of info out there and anglers are smarter and better equipped!

Frankly if an idiot mishanldes a musky it's because he is an idiot and not because he bought a $350 GoPro. I film my fishing expeditions, but I always put the fish first!!

most definitely! im not talking minnesota sized lakes, these lakes are a couple hundred acres or less in some cases, so yes, it has made an impact on them for sure.. the pressure would have come eventually more than likely, but this brings it over night! but again, they are public so guys will get their likes and subscribers.. because thats why they are doing it, but thats just how it is nowadays.. hoping the peak is here and some will give it up when they realize its not that easy to catch em..
Brian Hoffies
Posted 7/21/2021 8:15 AM (#982453 - in reply to #980147)

Being a old guy (65) I know plenty of guys who have never posted a fish of any size or species online. Maybe they never have caught a fish or maybe they don't have a ego that screams "hey look at me".
raftman
Posted 7/21/2021 9:32 AM (#982456 - in reply to #980147)

cdubs - 7/21/2021 7:39 AM

I agree, Youtube is kicking the crap out of our small lakes in Northern Wisconsin. With the border Pete Maina is filming all over the place and not hiding anything, actually showing drone footage of boat landings and other very distinctive landmarks. Today's Angler does the same thing only he is following the guides around and then filming his shows. I understand that it is everyone's right to the water, but when someone drives by and see's a truck at the landing all painted up they're going to look into it. If someone see's a bunch of go pro's and someone in a big nice boat filming, they're going to look into it and see how they did, why they were there, how they fished the spots and what they encountered. I admit, I watch some of these shows just to pick out landmarks and possibly add a spot or two to the arsenal. You multiply my actions by the 80,000 viewers some of these guys have and you get overwhelming traffic on 400-1000 acre lakes that can't handle it. Not only do these fish come extremely conditioned, they are almost certainly getting handled way more than ever before. I have a place on a small lake that in one season Team Rhino, Pete Maina and Today's angler all did shows. This lake is less than 800 acres and very easy to determine where they are in all three shows. The amount of guys out there chucking baits the rest of the season was insane! Literally boats waiting in line for other boats to finish a spot so they could fish it. Youtubers need to stick to the big lakes.

Can’t have it both ways. If you are going to use you tube to gather information for yourself to catch fish then they are just filling a demand you are helping create. It’s not on them to limit the information their viewers want based on lakes being big vs small or popular vs unknown local honey hole.
cdubs
Posted 7/21/2021 10:10 AM (#982463 - in reply to #982456)

And I am 100% fine with not using it for information. As a matter of fact, I would rather it not be there to look at. It has gotten to the point on these small waters that a guy doesn't want to fish because there are so many other guys out there. I will tell you flat out those of us who are having success, are not fishing similar to other guys so the fear of giving up techniques and location is real.
esoxaddict
Posted 7/22/2021 12:39 PM (#982522 - in reply to #980147)

I like to watch You Tube videos and count how many times the person filming should have lost the fish.
killdeer
Posted 7/22/2021 6:06 PM (#982528 - in reply to #980147)

The only bad I’ve seen out of internet and YouTube musky fishing is excessive fish handling and this over emphasis on measuring fish . Now don’t get me wrong I have plenty of grip and grin shots hanging on walls. But other than a few , and maina is one, preach proper handling and releases. For those of us that have seen the progression of the sport from infancy today’s available material is astounding. The information available at your fingertips is mind boggling! But it’s up to us to preserve it and teach those new to it to respect it . Plus who wants to catch walleye or bass anyway? Now if bluegill grew to 30 pounds………..
chimes_ts
Posted 7/27/2021 10:22 PM (#982664 - in reply to #980147)

My opinion is....thanks to youtubers who also share their location since we get to visit them but yeah it just sucks for veteran who found those locations first.
ToddM
Posted 10/4/2021 1:04 PM (#996236 - in reply to #980147)

Based on a YouTube video I watched yesterday, there's about to be another gold rush.
cdubs
Posted 10/6/2021 10:29 AM (#996285 - in reply to #980147)

I don't care if Doug Wegner wants to post video on Green Bay or Lake of The Woods, they are enormous bodies of water where land marks are difficult to pick out. I have a tremendous problem with Pete Maina flying a drone over very easily identified boat landings and lakes because he doesn't give a crap and is only fishing his local water because of covid. Why does he care if these lakes are so crowded on a Saturday that a guy can't fish but one spot before he entire lake is literally pounded, he doesn't intend to keep fishing them. And people are driving great distances to fish these lakes once they have figured out what lakes in his area they are via google earth. Same with Today's Angler, Robbie is doing very little work on his own and continuously shows boat landings, road signs and distinct buoy markers around small bodies of water. Basically boils down to a lack of respect in my opinion. I understand that these are public waters, but there is also a certain amount of stocking and conservation done by Lake owners/clubs and they should get the respect to not have these lakes blown up on Youtube.

Edited by cdubs 10/6/2021 10:30 AM
Yep
Posted 10/6/2021 11:03 AM (#996286 - in reply to #980147)

We are all on this website/internet saying it's good/bad for fishing. Kinda Ironic - Always set the hook twice/hard in the muskies mouth-with 8/0 trebles. Make sure the hooks are incredibly sharp to penetrate the jaw. Please handle them with care. Yes, we're all weird-- all of us TK
Slamr
Posted 10/6/2021 2:24 PM (#996291 - in reply to #996286)

If youtube is so influential.a. why do I still have to work? and b. why don't more of you throw suicks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OKORJZBm5I

Personally, I see the internet/youtube/social media as a double edge sword for muskies. Without it, muskie fishing wouldnt be spreding like it is. Less gear specific, less bait companies, less info. With it more muskie anglers.
sworrall
Posted 10/6/2021 9:34 PM (#996301 - in reply to #980147)

Just in case some of you forgot, we do still have posting permissions that prohibit mean-spirited and otherwise attack-oriented posts. Just don't do it.

Slopski
Posted 10/7/2021 10:01 AM (#996310 - in reply to #980147)

If the entire musky fishing industry collapses and all the specific musky gear goes with it i think we'd still be just fine using all the inshore salt water stuff we used to use. I guess I could see the stocking argument if somebody could convince me without stocking muskies they would face extinction. However my guess is without stocking muskies yearly the numbers would fall for awhile. Years maybe decades i don't know for sure. A lot of people would get discouraged and quit, then naturally the numbers would rebound as the fishing pressure subsided.

I think the industry gives it's self a little to much credit. I also think we give YouTube and social media to much credit for their influence. Just one mans opinion though.
cdubs
Posted 10/7/2021 12:57 PM (#996312 - in reply to #980147)

I will tell you that without stocking in my area of Hayward, WI, the numbers would look a lot like it's not worth targeting them anymore. There is little to absolutely no reproduction in the natural lakes. And that goes for walleyes as well. The only places I would really give reproduction a chance is the river systems in the area and most of them are stocked as well. And you look at these youtubers viewing stats. They have 60k viewers, guarantee virtually all of the musky guys in the country have tuned in at one time or another.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/7/2021 2:12 PM (#996314 - in reply to #996312)

That's the problem right there. Due to a number of factors, natural reproduction simply does not happen in most of the places we fish. It's stocked fish or no fish at all. Eliminate the stocked fish, and the lakes that are left would not last long once the great unwashed public had nowhere else to fish. Add in climate change which looks to be harming recruitment of many species, and it wouldn't take long before muskies became something you used to be able to catch back in the day.

We've proven time and time again that if you give humans a chance to wreck something, wreck it they will. Does the internet contribute to that? Sure it does. It's probably offset by the promotion of C&R and proper handling techniques, though. Wasn't that long ago that it was common practice to clobber everything you caught. I remember those days. The fishing wasn't great.
sworrall
Posted 10/11/2021 9:06 AM (#996371 - in reply to #980147)

As with anything, stats are confusing. The number of times a video is viewed is what's important on YouTube and Facebook. It's enough either way for sure, but hollering at someone for shooting a video will get you exactly nowhere. One point, muskie anglers will be fishing somewhere anyway, and it will not always be where you are unless it's a known 'destination'.

One mitigating factor is Muskies Inc and the stocking and research they are getting done. We'll know soon what the warm water release study out East shows, and stocking is ongoing in many areas. Support your local Chapter's efforts at conservation and stocking.