Custom Rods

Posted 1/13/2004 3:54 PM (#93402)
Subject: Custom Rods

I see sevral rod builders mentioned that do custom build rods in other threadson Muskie First. I am buying a rod this winter, and can spend $300. What is the best custom out there, in your opinion, and what makes it the best?
theedz155
Posted 1/13/2004 4:07 PM (#93405 - in reply to #93402)
Subject: RE: Custom Rods

I'll preface this by saying that I haven't ever owned a custom rod.

I really love the FigRigs. Excellent actions, excellent quality and excellent Customer Service. For 300 you could get two FigRigs with lifetime warranties. Choice is ultimately yours but if you can find what you are looking for in a quality production model, why pay for custom. Unless of course you just 'want' a custom, or you they don't make what you are looking for in a production. I know from friends that to get a good custom, you HAVE to know exactly what you want.

Scott

Edited by theedz155 1/13/2004 4:16 PM
kevin
Posted 1/13/2004 4:14 PM (#93408 - in reply to #93402)

Jim Grandt fishing rods, http://www.grandtrods.com/
Here is their fishing show schedule: http://www.grandtrods.com/shows.htm
I have used my brothers a couple times, very nice. Here is Grandt's warranty: If a All American or XLH70 Grandt fishing rod is broken in any way, fishing or otherwise, ship that rod to Grandt Rods along with a letter of explanation. Include your name, address and phone number and a check for return shipping/insurance of $18.50. NO warranty will be processed without prepayment of $18.50. Grandt Rods will then replace or repair your fishing rod and return it to you as soon as possible.
Another place is Coren's Rod and Reel, They have custom rods and supplies to build your own. Here is their phone# 773-631-5202

Edited by kevin 1/13/2004 4:22 PM
dougj
Posted 1/13/2004 4:52 PM (#93416 - in reply to #93402)

Try Thorne Brothers in Fridley, Mn at 763-572-3782, ask for Bill.

They make great custom muskie rods. They've been at it a long time.

Their Diamondbacks are hard to beat. I have three, and just ordered another.

Doug Johnson 

Slamr
Posted 1/13/2004 4:56 PM (#93418 - in reply to #93402)

Thanks DougJ, but I think this link is the right one:
http://www.thornebros.com/
esox69
Posted 1/13/2004 5:52 PM (#93424 - in reply to #93402)

sean and scott bermingham of dadson's rods make awesome sticks! they were at the chicago show this past weekend, hopefully you had a chance to see their work up close and spend some time talking to them. i've got 2 of their rods- they are top notch quality, AND they do exactly what they're supposed to do.
steve
kevin
Posted 1/13/2004 6:00 PM (#93425 - in reply to #93402)

Sean and his brother sell their rods out of Kolar bait and tackle right?
Grampa_Joe
Posted 1/13/2004 6:11 PM (#93427 - in reply to #93402)

I don't have a rod that isn't a Thorne Bros custom. They've been the standard for as long as I can remember. Everyone compares their custom rods to Thorne Bros rods for a reason.

Joe Carlson
esox69
Posted 1/13/2004 8:21 PM (#93437 - in reply to #93402)

kevin
you're sorta right... sean works there part time and will take info and orders for rods, but doesn't have any at the store on display. scott just loiters around there sometimes rob can get you in touch with them if sean isn't in, or you can call scott at 630-539-0557.
steve
kevin
Posted 1/13/2004 9:58 PM (#93448 - in reply to #93402)

Thanks, i knew Sean had something to do with Kolar. One other thing about the Grandt rods I mentioned, the blanks are made by Grandt.
lobi
Posted 1/13/2004 11:49 PM (#93460 - in reply to #93402)

Have you considered wrapping one up yourself? It is a great winter project. I'm in the middle of my 4th rod. They are not very hard and you can practice wrapping and re-wrapping all you want because thread is very cheap. My brother decided he wanted to try this time also. He has about $90 tied up in supplies and I had him over one night to show him the basics. He tied up a few sample wraps then wrapped on a guide that looked great. pm me for more details if you might want to give it a shot. It is way satisfying catching a fish on a rod you made yourself!

Posted 1/14/2004 1:41 AM (#93462 - in reply to #93402)

lobi, I agree 100%! A great resource for rodbuilders is rodbuilding.org. Great source of info for all levels of skill. For anyone looking to have a rod built, check out tackleworks.org.

I would also strongly recommend Tom Kirkman's book "Rod-Building Guide" for anyone wanting to build a rod and anyone wishing to have one built. It's a short read, inexpensive ($14), and you'll know virtually all the questions to ask a custom builder when you discuss a custom rod. Truly a great investment for all fishermen.

theedz155, I've gotta disagree with your sentiment! A well built custom rod will ALWAYS outperform a production rod. True, it helps to know exactly what you want, but a skilled rodbuilder will know all the questions to ask to help you AND him/her determine exactly what you want. Further, using the sources I've given, anyone with a little time can build a well built custom rod!
redbastrd
Posted 1/14/2004 4:56 AM (#93464 - in reply to #93402)

Another vote for Thorne Bros here, high quality, great service!, excellent warranty!
Witchdoctor
Posted 1/14/2004 2:14 PM (#93566 - in reply to #93402)

Hi,

I just wanted to add a little about the rods that Frank Bottiglieri of Frank's Custom Rods (Bartlett, IL) has made for me and others I know. Frank was at the Chicago Musky Show with me in the VooDooTails booth this year displaying his work. He has been making custom rods for Musky, Walleye, Bass, etc. since 1983. His work is exceptional and the butt wrap designs are truly unique. Last year I asked him to make me an 8' heavy rod with a 16" rear grip and a 5" fore grip on a Diamondback blank. This rod was unique in a lot of ways because of the extended grips and 8' length. It is now the only rod I throw (much to the chagrin of my remaining St. Croix rods). I can cast small bucktails up to Mag Bull Dawgs with this rod. It is also an excellent rod for 6" Hughes River's. It is an extremely versitile rod and was money well spent. I recently ordered a 7'3" heavy Diamondback from Frank specifically for thowing Jackpots.

Making custom rods is a labor of love for Frank. Each butt wrap takes nearly 4 to 5 hours and he is very meticulis in his craftmanship. They are flawless rods from end to end. The Diamondback blanks Frank uses are the same balnks used by many of the other rod makers mentioned. They are the "new" top of line in musky fishing. With Frank's rods you are getting a proven light weight blank (which is nice on the back!) preimum components (Pac-bay's high end guides & tips) and a signature butt wrap that sets his rods apart from other custom rods. Frank has several butt wrap designs from the Thunderbird and St. John's cross to the flags of several countries like Italy and Ireland.

My tournament partner, friend and guide Rich Gallagher only thorws rods made by Frank. His clients use them and as many guides can attest to, your equipment can get a real workout with those customers new to musky fishing. They have been used and abused without any problems, ever.

My advise is to call Frank and compare his rods to the others you are considering. I think you will find the value in working with Frank extends past just buying a rod. Not only are you getting a first class Musky stick, you are also getting to know a great guy and an excellent Musky fisherman with a lot of knowledge of big fish and big fish waters.

I hope you will consider him, I am glad that I did 100 times over.

Thanks,

Chris Drury
Phish Killer
Posted 1/15/2004 12:09 PM (#93675 - in reply to #93402)

My opinion, hands down the Thorne Bros. rods. I just bought my first one this winter. So much lighter than anything else I have looked at. You'll spend just about all of that $300 for one but man after picking one up I wrote that check without a second guess.

I got a 8' custom bucktail. Can wait for June!!!!!

Oh, and the warranty on them is great.

Edited by Phish Killer 1/15/2004 12:11 PM