boat shortage
muskymartin67
Posted 5/14/2021 12:04 PM (#979887)
Subject: boat shortage

Has anyone else noticed that not as many boats are available for sale and prices have jumped on older boats as well- Is it because Covid caused more people to work from home, so there's that much more demand, and inventory shortage, also are the factories not producing as many boats due to parts shortage/shutdowns etc. - Perhaps all of this comes into play- Just wanted to see if anybody more involved in production has any info whether this will end anytime soon or we're pretty much stuck with this just like all the other things nowadays- is this the new normal? Looking for any helpful information, as I'm thinking of upgrading in the next couple years - or maybe not
North of 8
Posted 5/14/2021 12:14 PM (#979888 - in reply to #979887)
Subject: RE: boat shortage

muskymartin67 - 5/14/2021 12:04 PM

Has anyone else noticed that not as many boats are available for sale and prices have jumped on older boats as well- Is it because Covid caused more people to work from home, so there's that much more demand, and inventory shortage, also are the factories not producing as many boats due to parts shortage/shutdowns etc. - Perhaps all of this comes into play- Just wanted to see if anybody more involved in production has any info whether this will end anytime soon or we're pretty much stuck with this just like all the other things nowadays- is this the new normal? Looking for any helpful information, as I'm thinking of upgrading in the next couple years - or maybe not

Variety of reasons I am guessing. Business report on Bloomberg the other day said over 30% of the consumer price increase in April came from the increase in used car prices. Anything that requires computer chips is in short supply. Autos are one, boat motors are another. My brother in law in SE Alaska ordered a new skiff a couple months ago and while he expects to get the boat and its 60hp Yamaha later this month, dealer said kickers are back ordered and blamed it on lack of chips. They really want a kicker back up because with the cut back in ferry service they will be traveling more in the skiff and want the security of a back up motor.
chasintails
Posted 5/14/2021 1:24 PM (#979889 - in reply to #979887)
Subject: Re: boat shortage

Looked at buying a truck lately? All the lots near me have one or two, where they usually had 100 +.
Used boats, trucks, campers, 4 wheelers, everything recreational is on demand.
I upgraded my trailer and will be planning on getting a few more years out of my old boat for this reason. I'll wait for the cycle to shift.
ToddM
Posted 5/14/2021 3:11 PM (#979890 - in reply to #979887)

I seen an add for Sylvan boats looking for factory workers all shifts, demand is way up. If you walked into a big tackle retailer a year ago entire shelves and rod racks were wiped out. Imagine BPS having 25 rods in the entire store. Seen it in Denver. I know someone in the market for a boat. They are looking at the back end of this when things get back to normal and the used boat market becomes flooded.
North of 8
Posted 5/14/2021 3:19 PM (#979891 - in reply to #979890)

ToddM - 5/14/2021 3:11 PM

I seen an add for Sylvan boats looking for factory workers all shifts, demand is way up. If you walked into a big tackle retailer a year ago entire shelves and rod racks were wiped out. Imagine BPS having 25 rods in the entire store. Seen it in Denver. I know someone in the market for a boat. They are looking at the back end of this when things get back to normal and the used boat market becomes flooded.

Sales guy at the Musky Shop told me that last year was the busiest he has seen and that anything to do with recreation in the Minocqua area experienced the same thing.
ToddC
Posted 5/14/2021 4:43 PM (#979892 - in reply to #979887)

I think there will be a lot of boats, motor homes and campers on the used market in a couple years. You can buy a new Lund now with only $1500 down, 6.25% interest and 12 years of payments! I believe a lot of people are using their stimulus monies for the down payment for these toys but will quickly tire of the payments, insurance, upkeep and storage. If so, I plan to be there cash in hand looking for a deal to upgrade my 1750 FishHawk.
ToddM
Posted 5/14/2021 6:17 PM (#979895 - in reply to #979887)

My son sold a camper that the person who used to own his home gave to him because she didn't think it would make the journey to Montana. Been sitting for years. 28ft 5th wheel with major hail damage, every skylight busted and leaking holes in the bathroom roof and the rear. The aluminum is separated on the right rear corner seam and the wood is rotten and in shards behind it. It has good stuff in it but not liveable. Got 3500 for it and tons of interest at a 5 grand asking price.
raftman
Posted 5/14/2021 9:08 PM (#979901 - in reply to #979892)

ToddC - 5/14/2021 4:43 PM

I think there will be a lot of boats, motor homes and campers on the used market in a couple years. You can buy a new Lund now with only $1500 down, 6.25% interest and 12 years of payments! I believe a lot of people are using their stimulus monies for the down payment for these toys but will quickly tire of the payments, insurance, upkeep and storage. If so, I plan to be there cash in hand looking for a deal to upgrade my 1750 FishHawk.

I’ve been telling my wife since last summer that we should plan on a flooded used market in a few years. The shortages and high prices have been an additional incentive to keep hammering away at the principal on her student loans during the pandemic.
OH Musky
Posted 5/16/2021 1:39 PM (#979935 - in reply to #979887)

There’s no boats in the dealers because they’re all on the lakes. Unemployment compensation was so high it was almost as if they advertised “get laid off, get a new boat on the taxpayers”. Last year the weekdays were like the weekends in ‘19. Weekends were impossible. So many inexperienced boat owners it was outright dangerous. Why there’s not a licensing requirement is beyond me. Not enough enforcement due to previous budget cuts, and people don’t know the rules and don’t care.

Bicycle shops around here were empty. Used car and truck prices have skyrocketed. There’s plenty on the lots now but they're not moving very fast.

Going to take a while for things to even out.
North of 8
Posted 5/16/2021 3:34 PM (#979936 - in reply to #979935)

I think to a degree is was the economic law of substitution at work. For example, cruises to Alaska were almost entirely canceled last year. For a family of four, that translates to at least $10,000 (cruise, shore excursions, flights) that was budgeted but didn't happen. Juneau sees roughly 1 million tourists a year, saw far less than 100,000 last year. Neighbor has a small resort with three lake front cabins. Best year ever, people that might have gone to Europe, Disney World came to northern WI. And they have re-booked this year. No openings from mid June through end of August.
So you didn't go to Alaska, or on that 2 week tour of Europe. Boat looked like a pretty good way to spend that money and have some fun with the family.
Friends had talked to us in late 2019 about a cruise on the Mississippi. For two people with flights, that would have been well over $15,000. I am guessing some who planned that kind of trip bought boats.
TCESOX
Posted 5/16/2021 4:07 PM (#979937 - in reply to #979936)

North of 8 - 5/16/2021 3:34 PM

I think to a degree is was the economic law of substitution at work. For example, cruises to Alaska were almost entirely canceled last year. For a family of four, that translates to at least $10,000 (cruise, shore excursions, flights) that was budgeted but didn't happen. Juneau sees roughly 1 million tourists a year, saw far less than 100,000 last year. Neighbor has a small resort with three lake front cabins. Best year ever, people that might have gone to Europe, Disney World came to northern WI. And they have re-booked this year. No openings from mid June through end of August.
So you didn't go to Alaska, or on that 2 week tour of Europe. Boat looked like a pretty good way to spend that money and have some fun with the family.
Friends had talked to us in late 2019 about a cruise on the Mississippi. For two people with flights, that would have been well over $15,000. I am guessing some who planned that kind of trip bought boats.

This.

If you think about it, those on unemployment (even with the enhancements), are not pulling in much more than while working, if that much. They still have rent/mortgages, car loans, utility bills, food for their families. There probably isn't a lot left over for big ticket items. Enhanced benefits might keep some from returning to crappy jobs while looking for better prospects, but I doubt they are buying expensive toys.

The stimulus money, on the other hand, has been used by many, to pay off credit cards and buy toys like TVs, up-grade boat electronics, new trolling motors, etc. Which is what it was intended for - to stimulate spending to keep businesses from experiencing a gigantic loss of business and causing a huge ripple effect in the economy.

Boats, RVs, motor-homes, vacation rentals, and other big ticket items, are being purchased by people who have money, but were going to spend it on other things that came to a screeching halt. These are people who probably spend $20,000 and more, every year, on travel related items, that simply found other things to spend their money on.
sworrall
Posted 5/16/2021 9:16 PM (#979945 - in reply to #979887)

A very significant number of new boat sales went to new property owners in the resort and tourist areas across the US. There are approximately 9 million new anglers out there since this started. This includes the 40 to 50 something and his family who back in the 80's used to go to the lake and fish, they re-entered the sport and bougt a 300 HP powered pontoon or a wakeboard boat too. I think a lot of them will remain working from home in the 'cabin' or have already sold the city home and moved, as companies have figured out it works well. I am not so sure there will be a glut of used boats out there any time soon, as demand for new is projecting out further and further for the supply to catch up and the used market is dried up. Housing is in short supply in the tourist areas, rentals are hard to find, and the lumber debacle won't let that get fixed soon. Home prices are shooting up (good old supply and demand) and we may sell our second home soon as a result. Can't sell our first home, as buying or building another with the increased prices will be very difficult and eat up the equity.
RLSea
Posted 5/16/2021 9:33 PM (#979946 - in reply to #979937)

TCESOX - 5/16/2021 4:07 PM

North of 8 - 5/16/2021 3:34 PM

This.

If you think about it, those on unemployment (even with the enhancements), are not pulling in much more than while working, if that much. They still have rent/mortgages, car loans, utility bills, food for their families. There probably isn't a lot left over for big ticket items. Enhanced benefits might keep some from returning to crappy jobs while looking for better prospects, but I doubt they are buying expensive toys.

The stimulus money, on the other hand, has been used by many, to pay off credit cards and buy toys like TVs, up-grade boat electronics, new trolling motors, etc. Which is what it was intended for - to stimulate spending to keep businesses from experiencing a gigantic loss of business and causing a huge ripple effect in the economy.

Boats, RVs, motor-homes, vacation rentals, and other big ticket items, are being purchased by people who have money, but were going to spend it on other things that came to a screeching halt. These are people who probably spend $20,000 and more, every year, on travel related items, that simply found other things to spend their money on.

Supporting your point, US credit card debt in March, 2021, is at the lowest since 2000 according to Wall Street Journal. The vacation money was spent on trips inside continental US.
North of 8
Posted 5/16/2021 9:52 PM (#979947 - in reply to #979946)

Prior to the pandemic, an average of 12 million Americans traveled to Europe every year. Even if half that was on business, that left a lot of money that would have been spent on travel available for recreation here in the states last year and this. I know people that live in modest homes, drive modest vehicles but spend $15 to $20,000 on international travel every year.
The interesting thing will be whether in 2022 and 2023 people go back to the kind of travel they did before or if they stay closer to home, keep going into the outdoors.
7ovr50
Posted 5/17/2021 6:05 AM (#979948 - in reply to #979887)

Edited by 7ovr50 5/29/2021 8:22 PM
raftman
Posted 5/17/2021 9:09 AM (#979961 - in reply to #979937)

Is this a good thing though? We artificially increase demand on things that can't be easily replaced for a variety of reasons and now we have shortages. When I walk through the hunting and fishing aisles at fleet farm there still are a lot of bare shelves. I don't think there's much of anything that isn't in short supply right now. I'm hoping the recent rise in inflation levels off but I'm a bit concerned all of this money just being dumped into an economy that isn't showing any ability to replace the goods being bought is going to lead to a long recovery and the people advertised as being the ones we need to hurry up and get money to when they sell these stimulus plans will be hurt more than anyone.
North of 8
Posted 5/17/2021 11:45 AM (#979967 - in reply to #979961)

raftman - 5/17/2021 9:09 AM

Is this a good thing though? We artificially increase demand on things that can't be easily replaced for a variety of reasons and now we have shortages. When I walk through the hunting and fishing aisles at fleet farm there still are a lot of bare shelves. I don't think there's much of anything that isn't in short supply right now. I'm hoping the recent rise in inflation levels off but I'm a bit concerned all of this money just being dumped into an economy that isn't showing any ability to replace the goods being bought is going to lead to a long recovery and the people advertised as being the ones we need to hurry up and get money to when they sell these stimulus plans will be hurt more than anyone.

Valid concern. The one bit of news that eased my concerns about inflation was that almost a third of the April consumer price index increase was the cost of used vehicles, not a broad increase. Also, April of 2020 saw so little economic activity, the year to year comparisons may be greatly skewed. But, you are correct that when you pump a lot of money into the economy, in particular when it flows to folks lower in the economic ladder, it may cause inflation. But then we expected that low interest rates that started way back when W. Bush was president would not last, but they have. A lot of economic truisms have been turned on their head in the last decade.
TCESOX
Posted 5/17/2021 5:58 PM (#979977 - in reply to #979961)

I have no idea if it is a good thing or not. The various permutations of macro economics are extremely complicated, and even experts can get it completely wrong sometimes. I do know that this was specifically designed to help people pay down minor debt and spur retail sales, at a time when there was real fear that retail could be devastated if people became too austere. And in fact, that is what most of that money was used for. It was not a need based mechanism. While it did help those who lost jobs, whether they were eligible for unemployment or not, most of those folks probably spent the money just staying afloat. However, many people making less than $75,000/yr for singles, and $150,000/yr for couples, had not lost their jobs, or suffered financial hardship, and were still targeted for the stimulus money, precisely because they would most likely pay off their credit cards and buy stuff.

We'll see how it shakes out in the end. There is no playbook for something like this, and both the previous administration and the current one, acknowledged that something drastic needed to be done. Precisely what, is the million dollar question. Whatever has been done up to now, is probably better than having done nothing. Some economists have been saying for quite some time, that a little inflation is something that is overdue anyway, and as was mentioned, we can't really rely on the recent numbers, as they are so skewed.
ToddM
Posted 5/17/2021 6:11 PM (#979978 - in reply to #979961)

It's short lived though, nobody is buying Dadsons for 300 bucks anymore.:-)
3lksmusky
Posted 5/20/2021 9:49 AM (#980049 - in reply to #979887)

While trying to find a battery in the Eagle River area last week ( by the way, they are hard to get ) a large local marina told me that they only have 2 pontoons left in stock, ( $80,000 ea. ) Motors are very hard to get, motor companies cannot get workers, they even have done away with drug testing. If you need service work ,good luck, they are backed up over a month. He suggested that I to sell my used pontoon, and make a few thousand dollars over what I paid a few years ago. It was hard to see all the understaffed businesses up there.
North of 8
Posted 5/20/2021 10:52 AM (#980052 - in reply to #980049)

Some parts of the labor shortage have been predicted for a long time. During the last recession, back in 2008 or so, I was working in human resources in Fond du Lac, home of Mercury. Unemployment was very high, Mercury itself had been losing money but their HR department teamed up with the local Association of Commerce because of a concern over future labor shortages in the area. Surveys were done of all large employers and a few years later with help from the UW and others, there was a presentation for employers at Marion University. The results showed that there would be an absolute shortage of workers with 5 to 10 years. Not qualified workers, workers period. Mercury's average production floor worker at that time was in their middle 50s.

Frankly, I was somewhat surprised by the findings but they had the data and had put a lot of work into. Numbers were real. Even though I had been part of one of the groups working on it, the numbers were stark. The loss of baby boomers from the work force was part of it, lower birth rates were part of it, talent drain from the highly educated leaving for other areas was part of it. I have to give the folks from Mercury credit that at a time when there were lots of unemployed people, their business was struggling, they looked forward and saw a problem looming.
RLSea
Posted 5/20/2021 10:49 PM (#980069 - in reply to #979887)

The labor shortage has been growing for quite some time. At first the shortage was in skilled labor (skilled trades) in the 90's to the point where the major manufacturer I worked for imported skilled trades from the oil industry in the south. Then in the early 2000's we started recruiting labor from anywhere and everywhere. Predictably, new employee fallout was high. Now, along with a shortage of labor, we are experiencing a shortage of IC's, or semiconductor chips, on a global scale. Chips are used in almost everything these days, not just cars and trucks. Demand for them is far outstripping supply. Guess what happens when there is a supply shortage? Yup, price goes up. Hang on, I don't think this is a temporary problem.
ToddM
Posted 5/21/2021 12:20 AM (#980071 - in reply to #979887)

I was in the local BPS today. There were 8 boats. No deep V aluminum boats. 4 of those 8 were sold. The floor was 2/3 empty.
North of 8
Posted 5/21/2021 7:43 AM (#980073 - in reply to #980071)

An additional problem for some companies is that the average American youth today is not capable of hard physical labor. Just listened to a story on NPR about some Army recruiters who are so desperate for recruits that meet the minimum physical requirements they are setting up informal "fat camps" outside of normal office hours. They provide nutrition advice, put volunteers through an exercise program, etc.
In the last two years I have had a couple of older contractors tell me that so many young guys want to work in housing construction or road construction but they can't cut it physically. I mentioned it to my son who is a physical education teacher and he said he could see that. 10 years ago while in college he took a human anatomy class and the professor showed them a report on how autopsy's of young car crash victims showed levels of plaque in arteries of guys in their late teens and early 20s that would have been seen in 50, 60 year olds in the past.
The summer I turned 18, I quit my school year job of stocking shelves in a grocery store and went to work on road construction, pulling 60' steel rebar 12 to 16 hours a day. A pair of leather work gloves would last no more than 2 days, if you were lucky. They liked hiring young guys for that kind of stuff because we were assumed to be strong and flexible and the older union guys wanted nothing to do with it. Apparently playing video games in your teens does not prepare you for that kind of work.
sworrall
Posted 5/21/2021 10:12 PM (#980083 - in reply to #979887)

Talking to a couple clients today, they can't find new employees at all. Tough market, which is crazy.
ToddM
Posted 5/22/2021 12:45 AM (#980086 - in reply to #980073)

North of 8 - 5/21/2021 7:43 AM

An additional problem for some companies is that the average American youth today is not capable of hard physical labor. Just listened to a story on NPR about some Army recruiters who are so desperate for recruits that meet the minimum physical requirements they are setting up informal "fat camps" outside of normal office hours. They provide nutrition advice, put volunteers through an exercise program, etc.
In the last two years I have had a couple of older contractors tell me that so many young guys want to work in housing construction or road construction but they can't cut it physically. I mentioned it to my son who is a physical education teacher and he said he could see that. 10 years ago while in college he took a human anatomy class and the professor showed them a report on how autopsy's of young car crash victims showed levels of plaque in arteries of guys in their late teens and early 20s that would have been seen in 50, 60 year olds in the past.
The summer I turned 18, I quit my school year job of stocking shelves in a grocery store and went to work on road construction, pulling 60' steel rebar 12 to 16 hours a day. A pair of leather work gloves would last no more than 2 days, if you were lucky. They liked hiring young guys for that kind of stuff because we were assumed to be strong and flexible and the older union guys wanted nothing to do with it. Apparently playing video games in your teens does not prepare you for that kind of work.

The problem is these jobs don't pay. They are plentiful. Can't buy a house or save money. Seeing skilled positions that require college training just above a wharehouse worker's wage.

Edited by ToddM 5/22/2021 12:52 AM
North of 8
Posted 5/22/2021 6:59 AM (#980089 - in reply to #980086)

Low pay may be a problem with some, but in Fond du Lac county Baker Cheese can't find 2nd shift production workers with $20.00/hr starting wage and full benefit package. Well established company, And pay goes up with experience. Cost of living there is not high.
RyanJoz
Posted 5/22/2021 11:52 AM (#980096 - in reply to #980089)

With the coming $15/hr minimum wage and inflation, $20 starting pay is a slap in the face for anyone with skills. $42k per year after taxes is about 25k. Rent and utilities, fuel/car and food and there is literally nothing left. Hope said employee doesn’t have children or a significant other. Debt is looming…
Muskyrookie
Posted 5/22/2021 12:09 PM (#980097 - in reply to #980089)

As far as the boat shortage it will be around for a while. And when it does finally catch up I'd be curious to see how the quality of 2020 -2022 models compare to previous models. I'd bet alot it isn't near as good for most manufacturers. On top of that when the used market does get flooded quite a few will be beat up from newbies that bought them now, motors that didn't have proper maintenance etc... as far as the workforce woes, wow where to even begin? I've worked for quite a few companies in my life and can honestly say that not one of them was a truly quality company. Most had management that had degrees they would boast about but were clueless about how to run a company and treat employees the way they deserved to be treated. Just about all had supervision that was absolutely spineless yes people! Everywhere has the worthless people that get away with whatever they want, yet push the work they don't do onto others who are the great workers. Union shops mostly suck because you don't have the ability to move up the ladder, not due to skill or abilities but the fact somebody was there a day longer than you. Add to that that companies won't fire lazy workers but will push that onto others. Last minute mandatory overtime, some companies don't even pay overtime wages. Add all that up and more and you expect people to be falling over themselves to work for a garbage company that treats you like a slave, doesn't pay good wages, excessive work hours, crummy shifts, inability to climb the ranks, gives poor raises if any at all, safety teams that contradict what supervision tells you, upper management getting enormous bonuses while you get peanuts for doing all the work and dealing with all the hardships! Add in the fact that now regardless of skill people of certain races and gender and sexual choice will get hired over you and get better wages at the same position just to fill a quota! Add all that to the fact that unemployment is or has run out for most, and people were sick and tired of workplace antics before all this. Last year was riots, sorry peaceful protests! This year could be workplace " peaceful protests" unless things change which I don't see happening. Get your popcorn ready. This isn't going away anytime soon
ToddM
Posted 5/22/2021 12:47 PM (#980100 - in reply to #979887)

I worked 35 years in a field where I had to pick up other's slack and fix situations they created. Non-union. This is nothing new and wasn't new when I entered the workforce. Neither is management not doing anything about it, the work is getting done.

Ryan, I've seen I.T. jobs for 42K and HVAC jobs experience required under 20 and hour. No8, I would argue the Cheese company is an anomaly.

Edited by ToddM 5/22/2021 12:49 PM
North of 8
Posted 5/22/2021 1:31 PM (#980104 - in reply to #980096)

RyanJoz - 5/22/2021 11:52 AM

With the coming $15/hr minimum wage and inflation, $20 starting pay is a slap in the face for anyone with skills. $42k per year after taxes is about 25k. Rent and utilities, fuel/car and food and there is literally nothing left. Hope said employee doesn’t have children or a significant other. Debt is looming…

The $20/hr jobs do not require skills, only the ability to lift up to 50 pounds and be on your feet for full shift
Muskyrookie
Posted 5/22/2021 5:23 PM (#980113 - in reply to #980100)

ToddM - 5/22/2021 1:47 PM

I worked 35 years in a field where I had to pick up other's slack and fix situations they created. Non-union. This is nothing new and wasn't new when I entered the workforce. Neither is management not doing anything about it, the work is getting done.

Ryan, I've seen I.T. jobs for 42K and HVAC jobs experience required under 20 and hour. No8, I would argue the Cheese company is an anomaly.

We are also living in different times tho. For most of that time $20 went a lil ways. Nowadays it doesn't.
As for that cheese factory it's 2nd shift which absolutely sucks if you want to have any type of life . Especially people in their 20s or 30s, or have children, that has alot going against it. I've worked every type of shift they make and by far the best was 4am - 2pm. Waking up at 2:30 was rough sometimes but missing most of the traffic both ways and having a head start to your day after work made up for it.
OH Musky
Posted 5/22/2021 5:35 PM (#980114 - in reply to #979887)

A lot of valid arguments on how people spent money but one thing is certain in my and my coworkers case. The $90 Ohio weekly underemployment didn’t make up for the 25-40% pay cut but the additional $600 per week federal sure did (the 40% was from mandatory OT for hourly workers that was cut to 32 hrs per week. The company said it was only 10%. Dumbasses. The $700 extra a week for April thru Aug added quite a bit to everyone’s overall pay (salaried went back to normal before the hourly did so we took in less overall). I understand that only applies to those not completely laid off but not many companies here in OH shutdown 100% like other states. My money is mostly still in the bank and paying for home repairs we’ve put off for far too long and CC bills Others, I have no doubt, bought boats, cars and other “luxury” items. Every place is different, I suppose.
RyanJoz
Posted 5/23/2021 6:45 AM (#980123 - in reply to #980104)

North of 8 - 5/22/2021 1:31 PM

RyanJoz - 5/22/2021 11:52 AM

The $20/hr jobs do not require skills, only the ability to lift up to 50 pounds and be on your feet for full shift

And when unemployment benefits are boosted $600 a week, they can get paid more to stay at home than to do any kind of work. There is no incentive to work, no reason to get a job to get ahead.
North of 8
Posted 5/23/2021 7:58 AM (#980125 - in reply to #979887)

The $600 supplement ended last year. Plus the jobs I mentioned have health insurance and company match on 401 k contributions.