Trolling motor head spins
djwilliams
Posted 2/12/2021 10:47 PM (#975187)
Subject: Trolling motor head spins

Maybe this has been discussed here before:
I have an older Minn Kota Powerdrive with universal sonar and Copilot, 55lbs on a 54 inch shaft. I bought it from a guy I knew took great care of it, and I have gotten great use out of for the past 8 years. A couple years ago I would have to unplug it because the head would spin one way and just never stop. This occured with or without the foot pedal connected. This spring it started doing the same thing, and I ended up never using the trolling motor this last season. I am thinking bout taking it to an authorized repair center in Iowa Falls, Iowa to get it looked at. Any ideas what causes this? I wrote Minn Kota and they suggested I do a load test on my batteries. My two deep cycle batteries are connected in parallel to the trolling motor and the Garmin 240 unit up front connected to the universal sonar.
VMS
Posted 2/13/2021 9:15 AM (#975193 - in reply to #975187)
Subject: Re: Trolling motor head spins

Hiya!!

I think the first thing to try would be to unplug the Garmin 240 and see if that stops the issue. There is a possibility that interference is happening, but usually that shows up as an issue on the depthfinder...not the trolling motor.

The load test is a good idea to see how the batteries are performing, and it may be good to test to see what kind of voltage you are getting at the trolling motor plug. If any of those are off they could all be part of the issue.

I once had a minn Kota that would all of the sudden surge to full power and could not bring it back down. Ended up being the main board, so I replaced it...problem solved. A bit costly, but nowhere near as much as a replacement motor....and if you have to go this route, there is usually a wiring diagram that comes with the board as well so you get everything hooked up correctly again. Best to take a picture of the board before removing connectors as well just so you have everything right and you can follow the color wires as well.. It's not a hard job overall if you have to go this route...
djwilliams
Posted 2/14/2021 12:40 PM (#975250 - in reply to #975187)

It's not the Garmin. I haven't used that because of the trolling motor issues. I will check into the "main board" thing, but not real good with what I consider micro electronics.
VMS
Posted 2/14/2021 1:39 PM (#975255 - in reply to #975187)

I'm betting you'd have no issue my friend...

The board will most likely use spade connectors. If you can hook up a depth finder, you'd be able to replace the main board without issue...

djwilliams
Posted 2/14/2021 5:08 PM (#975265 - in reply to #975187)

About how much does a main board cost?
Baby Mallard
Posted 2/15/2021 10:06 AM (#975285 - in reply to #975265)

Are you using auto-pilot when this spinning occurs? Mine would spin when the auto-pilot was going out. I replaced auto-pilot and it fixed the spinning..
djwilliams
Posted 2/15/2021 2:59 PM (#975308 - in reply to #975187)

Powerdrive...Co-Pilot...universal sonar. No auto pilot on board. I am THE auto pilot.
VMS
Posted 2/17/2021 11:45 AM (#975449 - in reply to #975187)

I bought my new main board from Capra's sports in MN... I don't recall the cost as it has been a few years. A local dealer/repair shop should be able to get you a price.