Bait Storage in Canoes/kayaks?
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 12/4/2020 7:14 PM (#971414)
Subject: Bait Storage in Canoes/kayaks?

Planning on getting a canoe to chase the big toothy critters, and I'm looking for compact bait and tackle storage. Feel free to post pictures of your's or to just describe it, thanks.
TCESOX
Posted 12/4/2020 10:32 PM (#971416 - in reply to #971414)
Subject: Re: Bait Storage in Canoes/kayaks?

Plop a half dozen baits into a Plano box and call it good. That's about all the baits your going to throw anyway.
Muskyrookie
Posted 12/5/2020 12:58 AM (#971419 - in reply to #971416)

Get yourself a cheap bookbag for like $5 somewhere like Amazon, get a couple plano or flambeau boxes 1 for dry lures 1 for wet lures to keep separate. You can easily pack for the trip with that. Fill both boxes with whatever you want for the day and when you are done just transfer from 1 box to the other and put the wet ones in 1 box, when you get home hang to dry and repeat. I wouldn't do a crate style with that type of vessel in case u tip over or knock it in the water it will all be together instead of being everywhere. If you want to spend a little more, you can get a bass type bag. Plenty of different sizes and styles. I bought an Okeechobee fats from Dunham's $40 that holds 6 plano 3700 boxes, 2 plano 3600 boxes 1 each side pockets, front zipper pocket, open back pouch, double sided zipper top pouch, and sunglasses holder zippered plus can hold my release tools. Fully loaded its heavy as hell and I still left the bait they are biting at home. Hahaa. They make smaller ones though. If you do buy a bass type bag definitely pick up a cheap bookbag too. For the last month or so I've been just taking that instead of my heavy bag. If you just toss medium to small lures the 3700 work fine. I've been tossing bigger cranks and rubber so I also picked up some double deep boxes and open 1 compartment boxes. Unless you need those for fitment I wouldn't get those. Everything gets tangled and hooked together. Good thing about the bags is you can organize and have storage all in 1, until you need another 1, and another 1,,,, lol

Good luck
fishdawg
Posted 12/5/2020 7:34 AM (#971421 - in reply to #971414)

I never take more than one Plano box into the canoe. It forces me to think about which baits are most effective and there is, to be honest, no need for more than a few baits. If you find a hungry fish, it will eat just about any of them if properly presented.

It is important to be a minimalist in the canoe, especially on the river when there is a lot of current. Nothing goes into the boat that is not necessary.
Scottinva
Posted 12/5/2020 10:41 AM (#971426 - in reply to #971414)

I take two 3700 boxes that are double deep as mentioned above in my kayak. One with lures for the day and one with pliers, hook cutters, extra hooks and leaders, etc. no need for much more.

Scott
Tackle Industries
Posted 12/6/2020 8:27 AM (#971445 - in reply to #971414)
Subject: RE: Bait Storage in Canoes/kayaks?

Here is a perfect backpack. It can take up to 4x 3700 series tackle boxes in the bottom and still have room for more. Also had an LED light you can Velcro to the front straps or back of the backpack as a work light. Great for hunting and camping too.
https://vexan.com/product/backpack_tackle_box_fishing/

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(T1.JPG)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(T2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments T1.JPG (75KB - 345 downloads)
Attachments T2.JPG (74KB - 344 downloads)
sworrall
Posted 12/9/2020 6:05 PM (#972533 - in reply to #971445)
Subject: RE: Bait Storage in Canoes/kayaks?

Tackle Industries - 12/6/2020 8:27 AM

Here is a perfect backpack. It can take up to 4x 3700 series tackle boxes in the bottom and still have room for more. Also had an LED light you can Velcro to the front straps or back of the backpack as a work light. Great for hunting and camping too.
https://vexan.com/product/backpack_tackle_box_fishing/

I use this bag soft and hard water. Well built and plenty of gear fits in there.