Spinning Rod for Muskie
dward
Posted 12/4/2020 12:26 AM (#971389)
Subject: Spinning Rod for Muskie

Ok, this is definitely not for me, but someone I know is looking for a spinning rod that would work reasonably well for muskie? I’m guessing maybe something guys fight catfish on?

Can anyone recommend heavy duty rod ( make and model) for them to look into?

I spent a bit of time looking into it but kind of came up empty.....

They have a 4000 size spinning reel with 40 lb braid they want to use.....

Any help would be appreciated
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 12/4/2020 1:28 AM (#971390 - in reply to #971389)
Subject: RE: Spinning Rod for Muskie

I personally wouldn't want a spinning rod for any mid size or even large musky baits. In any case, I have a Penn Fierce II 7'0 fast action with a lure weight rating of 3/4 to 2 oz. I've caught a few 10-20lb carp in the river on it, as for muskies, I think this rod would be up to the challenge.
dward
Posted 12/4/2020 1:48 AM (#971391 - in reply to #971390)
Subject: RE: Spinning Rod for Muskie

I agree, but I can’t convince him to go with bait caster....so researching reasonable options.

Must be some spinning rods rated for lures up to 4-6 oz I would imagine.

This guy will mostly be throwing small buck tails 7’s, 6” cranks, 6” phantoms, spring dawgs, etc... smaller stuff
RJ_692
Posted 12/4/2020 7:32 AM (#971392 - in reply to #971389)
Subject: Re: Spinning Rod for Muskie

Inshore saltwater stuff is good. Not a musky big enough you cant catch on spinning gear. Mostly a presentation limit.

I also recall people talking about a St. Croix to fit this bill but i dont have any experience with.
miket55
Posted 12/4/2020 8:52 AM (#971395 - in reply to #971389)

Several years ago I picked up a couple of Big Water Ugly Sticks (BWS1102) in 7' & 8' lengths, for a niece, and youngest brother.. Neither of them fish muskies much, and have no inclination to learn how to use a baitcaster.

Probably not the best tool for the job, but it's better than bringing a knife to a gun fight. They're labelled as "heavy" action, but no lure weights are shown on the label.
Muskyrookie
Posted 12/4/2020 9:42 AM (#971396 - in reply to #971395)

Earlier this year I was looking for a multi species ( catfish, carp,striper,musky )big fish spinning setup and looked for weeks. I never had a baitcasting setup at that point. I came across (catch the fever) " big cat fever" rods and once i saw some videos of them strapping one to a forklift and deadlifting a guy that weighs 140lbs I bought one. I bought the 7'6" mh that has a rating of 1-10oz, either 50 or 60lb line and started with that for musky. I paired it up with a GIANT of a reel daiwa bg 8000 and put 100 lb braid on it. Looking back now I should have bought the 5000 size. With.that combo I was throwing a double showgirl and snagged a porcupine crib, long story short, I broke off a significant tree branch from the crib and it was my only catch of the day. Lol they have a reward of $10,000 for new state records ( catfish) when caught on their rods!!! Little company in North Carolina. They cost like $80. In my opinion they are the best option out there for a big fish spinning rod especially for that price! I haven't used it since getting baitcasting setup just for that ease that comes with them. I also need to get some heavy duty rod holders before I will catfish with it ( not wanting a biggun to steal it from the bank) . Tell your buddy to check them out, they also have a medium which might be better for smaller lures.

Ps I tossed a bulldawg (5oz) with it and it performed fine. Heaviest bait i had at the time
mikie
Posted 12/4/2020 9:44 AM (#971397 - in reply to #971395)

I started muskie fishing using a St Croix 7' Heavy power fast action graphite rod with a Penn 4500SS spinning reel. I think it had the advantage in shallow water vs bait casters, in that you can start the bait moving toward you as it hits the water, since there's no reason to change hands. Worked great for Mepps size bucktails and rattle baits, smaller crankbaits. You'll not cast pounders with it but it certainly is a viable tool for at least certain applications. m

I also worked 6 inch gliders fairly well with this set up. m
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 12/4/2020 10:02 AM (#971398 - in reply to #971396)

Muskyrookie - 12/4/2020 9:42 AM

Earlier this year I was looking for a multi species ( catfish, carp,striper,musky )big fish spinning setup and looked for weeks. I never had a baitcasting setup at that point. I came across (catch the fever) " big cat fever" rods and once i saw some videos of them strapping one to a forklift and deadlifting a guy that weighs 140lbs I bought one. I bought the 7'6" mh that has a rating of 1-10oz, either 50 or 60lb line and started with that for musky. I paired it up with a GIANT of a reel daiwa bg 8000 and put 100 lb braid on it. Looking back now I should have bought the 5000 size. With.that combo I was throwing a double showgirl and snagged a porcupine crib, long story short, I broke off a significant tree branch from the crib and it was my only catch of the day. Lol they have a reward of $10,000 for new state records ( catfish) when caught on their rods!!! Little company in North Carolina. They cost like $80. In my opinion they are the best option out there for a big fish spinning rod especially for that price! I haven't used it since getting baitcasting setup just for that ease that comes with them. I also need to get some heavy duty rod holders before I will catfish with it ( not wanting a biggun to steal it from the bank) . Tell your buddy to check them out, they also have a medium which might be better for smaller lures.

Ps I tossed a bulldawg (5oz) with it and it performed fine. Heaviest bait i had at the time

Have you ever tried to throw gliders on this setup? Wondering because I been looking for a glider rod and they have a casting version so if it has a soft tip I might buy it because it is so budget.
Muskyrookie
Posted 12/4/2020 10:33 AM (#971399 - in reply to #971398)

When I was using this rod I didn't have any gliders. That i remembered at least, I forgot that I had a couple rapalas so never used them. These rods ( mh) have a more parabolic bend to them, ( think ugly sticks) they are not stiff just strong. They could handle 6" phantom and hellhoundz and smaller. Personally I think stiffer rods are better for gliders. Thats why I just bought an xh for my glider rod. Some folks like soft rods for them though. Its all personal preference, they do have heavier versions in baitcasting that I didn't do any research on because I wasn't looking for them. Contact them and and talk to them to see how much stiffer those would be.

Edit; they are s glass rods so they inherently more flexible
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 12/4/2020 10:40 AM (#971400 - in reply to #971399)

If I'm completely honest, I don't know my preference for gliders considering I've never used them before. What rod do you think would be best for me as a beginner to gliders?

EDIT: Please PM me, because I don't want to gunk up this thread with unrelated replies.
Scottinva
Posted 12/4/2020 12:43 PM (#971402 - in reply to #971389)

Not sure what the budget is, but he could have a rod builder build a rod on any blank he desires. The same blanks that are used for casting rods can be used for spinning rods.

Scott
Tackle Industries
Posted 12/4/2020 5:07 PM (#971412 - in reply to #971389)

Tackle Industries has them. 86 Spinning rods for musky fishing in MH, XH and XXH pounder rods:
https://tackleindustries.com/shop/musky_pike_bass_walleye_crappie_fi...

Also, Vexan Fishing has them too in 86 and 9ft.
https://vexan.com/product/vexan-inshore-rods/

We also have TANK rods in spinning for trolling.