Spark Plug issue
North of 8
Posted 4/22/2020 11:08 AM (#958643)
Subject: Spark Plug issue

Just changed the spark plugs in my Suzuki 90 hp tiller. It is a 2003 4 stroke, fuel injected motor. Runs great, starts easily. But, I noticed as I have a couple times before, the bottom plug of the 4 plugs was more fouled than the others. I vaguely remember the dealer service guy saying something about that on my 2008 Mercury 90 hp on my pontoon when I took it in for a minor service issue under warranty.

Any insight on this? Again, runs good but just wondering about this issue.
mikie
Posted 4/23/2020 6:34 AM (#958681 - in reply to #958643)
Subject: Re: Spark Plug issue

As with any motor, "it's either fuel or fire."
If the coil and spark check out equal with the others, perhaps the valve is not allowing spent fuel to exit properly? m
VMS
Posted 4/23/2020 9:17 PM (#958720 - in reply to #958643)

Hiya,

The only thing I can think of is the plug maybe wasn't gapped the same as the others causing it to burn less efficiently?

I know some engines like the Evinrude E-tec engines need their plugs indexed correctly to run efficiently. I believe they are set to have the open side of the plug's electrode facing the injector port for the cylinder.

I've not heard of needing that on any 4-stroke engine, so it's a shot in the dark as to whether this would be the case or not..

Being a fuel injected engine, I would say it definitely is not a fuel related unless the injector was a touch dirty. If the engine is running well, I doubt it would be that issue...

Steve
North of 8
Posted 4/23/2020 9:36 PM (#958725 - in reply to #958720)

Thanks for the replies. As I said, runs well, starts immediately, idles smoothly. Just seems odd the for the second time in a row the bottom plug was "dirtier" than the other three. I had the motor checked by a dealer last year and they said everything was running fine. I had taken it in to get the impeller replaced, while they cleaned the carb on the kicker and had asked they just give it a check. I thought as long as I was hauling the boat to the dealer, have both motors checked out. (VMS had diagnosed the problem with the kicker as dirty carb and that was it. Runs great now.)
ToddC
Posted 4/24/2020 6:22 PM (#958767 - in reply to #958643)

If it starts great, runs and idles smooth, I wouldn’t worry about it. Just get out there and fish!!! Good luck!!!
kjgmh
Posted 4/25/2020 9:16 AM (#958785 - in reply to #958643)

Are you letting the motor sit tucked in? Oil can settle in the cylinder if you are and can foul the plugs a little. When the motor is sitting, not running, have it tilted just out from vertical when sitting.
North of 8
Posted 4/25/2020 10:50 AM (#958795 - in reply to #958785)

kjgmh - 4/25/2020 9:16 AM

Are you letting the motor sit tucked in? Oil can settle in the cylinder if you are and can foul the plugs a little. When the motor is sitting, not running, have it tilted just out from vertical when sitting.

This could be what happened. It spends the summer on the lift and I don't typically tilt the motor because there is no need, but will try that this summer. And that is what it seems like I am seeing, a little oil on the plug. Thanks, can't hurt and while not a big issue would like to see what the cause is.