Custom Pounder muskie rod
meyer
Posted 10/9/2019 4:15 PM (#947902)
Subject: Custom Pounder muskie rod

So I was going to have a guy I know make me a custom 9 foot pounder rod. What rod blank would you recommend me to buy?
Ronix
Posted 10/9/2019 5:16 PM (#947906 - in reply to #947902)
Subject: Re: Custom Pounder muskie rod

TB predator XH
Tackle Industries
Posted 10/9/2019 6:18 PM (#947909 - in reply to #947902)

Tackle Ind blanks. We have a lot of them. PS St Croix stopped selling blanks as of 2019. You might find a source that has one left though if you search...

https://tackleindustries.com/shop/musky_pike_bass_walleye_crappie_fi...

Vexan Inshore Big Game blanks in 9ft also available...
James
Kirby Budrow
Posted 10/9/2019 7:54 PM (#947916 - in reply to #947902)

The xxh tackle industries blank will work well for you. I absolutely love my Thorne bros predator xh 9’6” though.
meyer
Posted 10/9/2019 8:20 PM (#947919 - in reply to #947902)
Subject: RE: Custom Pounder muskie rod

This rod well also be used for big jerkbaits and crankbaits and I'll be honest I throw alot more magnum bulldawgs and regular medusa's.....should I still go with tackle industries xx blank or thorne brothers xh? I also use a 8'6 premier heavy rod.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 10/10/2019 6:15 AM (#947927 - in reply to #947919)

Both can pretty much do it all except the predator is probably better at small stuff. I throw showgirls with it no problem but the TI struggles with that.
Zinox
Posted 10/10/2019 9:17 AM (#947943 - in reply to #947902)

If you like a softer action rod that loads deep, the TI xxh is fine for pounders, but i prefer a stiffer rod, if you have a change to cast them i would suggest to try them out before buying.

I have a, TI xxh, Big dawg, big nasty, and a Musky innovation Mark Lijewski XXXXH Rod that all is capable of casting pounders, but my go to for big rubber is 100% the Musky inovation,
happy hooker
Posted 10/10/2019 2:18 PM (#947971 - in reply to #947943)

Would this be a fall rod???
If so consider this,,I would put less guides on it and I would also double the size of the guides.
This will help prevent ice up on guides you don't need to worry about the rod loading with pounders or monster medussa s you can chunk them a mile nothing finesse

Somebody actually should market a late season rod with less guides but oversized ones I've actually heard of hollow grips you can put charcoal sticks in that heat the blank,I'd love to see one of those.
meyer
Posted 10/10/2019 6:43 PM (#947996 - in reply to #947902)
Subject: RE: Custom Pounder muskie rod

I would love to see something that had some sort of heating system to prevent ice up...I would say I would still use the rod throught year I like to throw big jerkbaits and crankbaits in the fall. I stuck a nice 47 incher today in northern michigan on the new frankensuick. I was using my big bait rod which is a TI industries xxh 9' rod that snapped a few years towards the top with a pounder now it's like 8'4 but it's really stiff and I feel I use my body to cast big baits like pounders and magnums and medusa's
Tackle Industries
Posted 10/11/2019 11:24 AM (#948048 - in reply to #947971)

Here is our new TANK rods. The XH can actual chuck pounders like no other rod!
Super backbone yet tons of action. Can't break these rods and they all have the new "Full Metal Jacket" guides on them. You can hit the guides with a hammer and they will not break!! They are for trolling, sucker rods and casting..all in one Tested out very well on some huge Florida Gators too... Check out the pics. Rods in pics were made up as spinning rods but the same TI TANK Blanks were used that you would get on a casting version...

TI TANK Rods:

happy hooker - 10/10/2019 2:18 PM

Would this be a fall rod???
If so consider this,,I would put less guides on it and I would also double the size of the guides.
This will help prevent ice up on guides you don't need to worry about the rod loading with pounders or monster medussa s you can chunk them a mile nothing finesse

Somebody actually should market a late season rod with less guides but oversized ones I've actually heard of hollow grips you can put charcoal sticks in that heat the blank,I'd love to see one of those.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(2019 small pic gator.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2019 small pic gator.jpg (68KB - 461 downloads)