TFO big fish rod
Magoo
Posted 9/18/2019 11:14 PM (#946997)
Subject: TFO big fish rod

Rollie and helens has the TFO bigfish on sale for 129.00. I bought one but have not tried it yet. I have used their flu rods and they are pretty good. Not sure how these will be but for the price I was willing to take the gamble. Has anyone else tried these rods?

Mike
Magoo
Posted 9/23/2019 12:37 PM (#947170 - in reply to #946997)
Subject: Re: TFO big fish rod

I got the rod, it is pretty nice. A deep blue color and feels solid. I have the 9’6 2oz to consult your doctor weight. Not sure how it will cast pounders but it seems pretty nice. Hoping to go fishing next month when the temp drops and put it through it’s paces.

Mike
supertrollr
Posted 9/24/2019 8:33 AM (#947189 - in reply to #946997)

are you okay ?
Magoo
Posted 10/1/2019 8:36 AM (#947461 - in reply to #946997)

Yea I’m fine, although I mostly use sage flyrods I have a friend that fishes TFO and I have a Slower action TFO flyrod and they work great. I don’t see how this rod won’t perform. For the price I figure it’s worth a try. I have other rods I’ve used for years as a backup. If it wasn’t for the warranty change I would have bought another legend tournament. I have rods that I use for years as years and just get used to them, especially my flyrods. I am willing to pay more for a lifetime warranty if st. Croix still offered it. Even it it cost me a chunk of money to get the same rod back. For a while safe stopped making the 000wt flyrod I had. But if anything ever happens to the rod and it breaks I can still send it in and they will get it back to me with the same action and hopefully identical feel.
Alumacraft89
Posted 10/24/2019 4:52 AM (#948756 - in reply to #946997)

Would you say the call your dr rating is close to a xh? They look like a nice rod but when lures are giant and heavy the rating 2oz- call your dr is unacceptable. That absolutely makes no sense for the fact guys want to know it’s limits especially with big rubber. I’m interested in buying one because of the price.
Magoo
Posted 11/1/2019 1:03 PM (#949293 - in reply to #946997)

Well I have not taken it out yet, but will in the spring. It is pretty #*^@ stout but not like a pool cue like an old st.croix premier XXh I had years ago. Just from playing with it a little in the garage. It is a little forgiving at the tip, but it loads kind of like a fast flyrod where it progressively loads up to help do the work. All I know for now is I’m getting another one. Compared to my sling blade and big dawg. The real seat and grip is nicer, seems just as nice. The tip is a little stiffer than my sling blade but the back bone down the rod seems more stout than my big dawg. If I get some time before the lakes freeze I’ll take it to the park and cast some 10’s and pounders.
Magoo
Posted 11/1/2019 1:30 PM (#949295 - in reply to #946997)

Well I have not taken it out yet, but will in the spring. It is pretty #*^@ stout but not like a pool cue like an old st.croix premier XXh I had years ago. Just from playing with it a little in the garage. It is a little forgiving at the tip, but it loads kind of like a fast flyrod where it progressively loads up to help do the work. All I know for now is I’m getting another one. Compared to my sling blade and big dawg. The real seat and grip is nicer, seems just as nice. The tip is a little stiffer than my sling blade but the back bone down the rod seems more stout than my big dawg. If I get some time before the lakes freeze I’ll take it to the park and cast some 10’s and pounders.