Tuffy 1760 T ?? / Owners input

Posted 9/14/2003 11:27 PM (#81533)
Subject: Tuffy 1760 T ?? / Owners input

Looking for some imput from you Tuffy owners on this boat. Am considering buying one. Looking for all plus's and any cons. Does it have dry storage? I'm looking for a boat that I can cast from and also will handle rough water. Recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks, PS
C.Painter
Posted 9/15/2003 12:52 PM (#81602 - in reply to #81533)
Subject: RE: Tuffy 1760 T ?? / Owners imput

I have been running the 1760 T Tuffy for a year two years now I think...time flies!

Love it. Was in a Magnum first. Wanted something for the bigger water and this boat is it!! I have had it out on lake Michican and Eagle lake and have had it in 4-5 foot waves with no problems. A friend of mine also runs the same boat and we both agree it is one of the best running hulls out there! And he use to have a Ranger.

Plus's:
TON of space...I fish three very easily. VERY wide standing areas
Rod locker holds 8"6' rods
Good live well
very stable ride
75 mer 4 stroke gets me 34-37 MPH Max...
Trailers very well with easy on off loading
TONS of floor space...
Love the higher gunnels vs. the magnums...nice to lean against in big water
love the battery storage.
Front Storage is HUGE and has been dry for me.

Neg:
Rod locker doesn't completely open just due to design...but very tolerable.
front compartment hinge is right were the foot pedal goes so slights a little. No big deal but a little annoying.
Thing is so stable could easily be rated for a 90 tiller...counsel rates at a 150!!

Drop me a line if you need more info!

Cory
pikiefriend
Posted 9/15/2003 4:11 PM (#81653 - in reply to #81533)

Cory,
Is there any difference between the esox deep v, and the osprey series tilers? The specs look the same, it must be the same hull.
Thanks for your imput!!
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 9/15/2003 10:05 PM (#81706 - in reply to #81653)

I have a 2001-1700T Esox Deep-V For Sale if you would consider a boat that is a bit [email protected]

Posted 9/16/2003 12:40 AM (#81718 - in reply to #81533)

I have a 99 osprey, I like it but would not purchase another one. First of all there is wood in this boat. Have trouble draining all the water out of the hull. the fornt hatch has nice storage, but things will get wet due to hte pedestal mount. Quality is questionable.
davep
Posted 9/16/2003 9:39 AM (#81755 - in reply to #81718)

I have a Esox deep v 1700 T and love it. It fishes 3 guys casting pretty easily. I have had no issues with the storage getting wet. Nice and roomy for a "smaller" boat.
C.Painter
Posted 9/16/2003 11:41 AM (#81780 - in reply to #81755)

Decks are now all fiberglass from what I remember when I went to see my boat being built.

1700 is a bit narrower than the 1760, and short of course. For bigger water I would definately go with the 1760.

Cory
Shep
Posted 9/16/2003 1:31 PM (#81807 - in reply to #81780)

While Tuffy used to, and still does, make a good boat, I believe they are no longer a real good value like they used to be.

I'd suggest you take a good look at some of the other lines out there, and compare VALUE. For instance, the Lund 1700 angler is a great boat, much wider, more stabil, probably faster, and has lots of storage. Same with the Crestliner Fishawk series, and perhaps Alumicraft. Patriot's 1710 Tiller looks to be a very nice boat, with a Muskie friendly layout. And you will spends thousands less!

Cory, and all other Tuffy owners, please take no offense. I wanted a Tuffy 1760 real bad last year. When it came down to it, I couldn't afford one. I have thousands less in my 1700 Angler SS, with all the motors, electronics, cover, rigging, upgraded Eagle Trailer, and other stuff, than the 1760, main motor and trailer would have cost me alone.
sworrall
Posted 9/16/2003 11:57 PM (#81884 - in reply to #81807)

I have to agree with Shep. The 1760 boat price continued to climb to the point where Tuffy's price(if bought through a dealer) is about par with Ranger on some models. It's a well built boat, and WILL take a beating, but WHOA it got spendy. BTW, the only wood is in the transom and minor bulkheads, sealed and laminated in so there is no rot. The floor, deck, and insert are composite.

BUT!!

I know of two Tuffy models that are brand new, 2001, in -the -showroom- new rigs. One is a Magnum C, the other a 1700 Osprey C. Either can be had for $9500 including Merc pre rig and Custom trailer. Email me if anyone is interested. I owe this dealer, big time. [email protected]

Mark H.
Posted 9/17/2003 12:49 PM (#81963 - in reply to #81533)
Subject: RE: Tuffy 1760 T ?? / Owners input

I'm not knocking Tuffy or any other brand in fact I ran three different Tuffy's over the years including a 1700T which was my favorite but I think Shep made a reasonable comment on "value" for the dollar. Price of everything is going up these days but when you consider resale, and what you get for the money...?

Only issue I ever had with all three of my tuffy's was that the storage leaked a few of the comparments unless you adjusted the locks to be super-duper tight. My current Ranger is 6 years old and last month in Canada it sat out for about 30 hours in the rain, some of which was heavy and wind blown and none of the compartments leaked a drop. Then again my buddy has a 2 year old Tuffy and claims his compartments are dry...."go figure"..????

Again...Tuffy is a nice boat and they have some nice models to choose from. The parent company Fiberdome is a stable company so as long as they want to be in the boat business they have the financial stability to do so. I would own another one if the right opportunity presented itself. There are a few little changes that could help them tremendously.
kevin
Posted 10/6/2003 6:46 PM (#84054 - in reply to #81533)
Subject: RE: Tuffy 1760 T ?? / Owners input

Supposedly Tuffy still has the molds for discontinued models and can make them special order. Boats like the Rampage line. I have a '83 Rampage and love the ride with a 40 tiller. I've recorded 30-32mph with a gps in that boat. Mine is the older style before the composite decks. Never covered until I bought it. Replaced the front deck, and have a soft spot or two on the main floor. Would I buy another one? Yes..a Rampage.. The deeper ones and the esox just don't appeal to me.