Need help on choosing my First musky reel
DaN-
Posted 1/5/2018 4:49 PM (#888994)
Subject: Need help on choosing my First musky reel

Never been out to personally target musky. This year will be the start of something new. I have been bass fishing for 25years+ and over the past couple years have been branching out to other "bucket-list" species. Currently I plan on buying only one combo for this year and see where is goes from there as most of the time giant smallmouth will be my focus... But when I get the itch I want that musky rod on standby.

I'm not getting a reel to solely focus on burning bucktails. I want a quality, capable reel that can pretty much do everything "well" and could care less about having the perfect reel for every application, 65 or 80lb capacity doesn't matter to me for the most part, I will use which suites the reel best. To start I will be throwing #8 or 9 Bucktails and 4-6oz swimbaits / topwaters.

Here are the list of what I'm considering and what I can get them for:
Shimano Calcutta D 401 : $280
Shimano Tranx 301 : $252
Shimano Tranx 401 : $270
13Fishing A3 : $202

Anyone hear actually try the A3? I've heard good things, but don't know how it stands up to the competition.
I have the normal Concept A which is a good reel, but normally I fish Daiwa with a couple Shimanos thrown in for bass fishing.
14ledo81
Posted 1/5/2018 8:30 PM (#889010 - in reply to #888994)
Subject: Re: Need help on choosing my First musky reel

Not sure if you are interested in any other reels that are not on your list, but if so, you may want to look at the Revo Toro S. Very good reel, and fits your criteria for a "do everything".
Clammer
Posted 1/5/2018 9:03 PM (#889011 - in reply to #888994)

I'm a big fan of the D401, and D301, so much so that I sold all my other reels. I don't care for the low profile reels, as my hand is just uncomfortable with them. Good reviews from others on the tranx 400 series, so I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. Really comes down to your preference.
DaN-
Posted 1/5/2018 9:25 PM (#889012 - in reply to #889011)

Clammer - 1/5/2018 10:03 PM

I'm a big fan of the D401, and D301, so much so that I sold all my other reels. I don't care for the low profile reels, as my hand is just uncomfortable with them. Good reviews from others on the tranx 400 series, so I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. Really comes down to your preference.

Do you use either of the Cal Ds for #8 and #9 bucktails? If so, how do they handle it? Do you feel it is fast enough?

I feel like I would rather be a little slower on the bucktails than use a high speed and wear myself out after a couple hours, lol
Clammer
Posted 1/5/2018 9:56 PM (#889013 - in reply to #888994)

Yes, I throw dbl 8s and 9s quite often. (I do throw some 10s but not much, as it really is not the reel for them). The 401 has more power than the 301, so it is a bit easier. I wouldn't go all day throwing them, it would wear you out over time. I generally use the 301 for twitch baits and 8s.
For many years the 5.3 gear of a abu Ambassador was THE reel. That gearing is very versatile, and similar to the 401. Since its heyday, many larger baits with more drag have been introduced, along with the fairly new concept of burning lures. Those are the retrieves that some of the newer reels do much better.
Ciscokid82
Posted 1/5/2018 10:18 PM (#889014 - in reply to #888994)

I think the Tranx 400A or the Revo Toro S would be ideal for a do all reel. If you like round reels, I can speak for the Calcutta B. Mine is still going strong after nearly 15 years.
DaN-
Posted 1/5/2018 10:21 PM (#889015 - in reply to #889014)

Ciscokid82 - 1/5/2018 11:18 PM

I think the Tranx 400A or the Revo Toro S would be ideal for a do all reel. If you like round reels, I can speak for the Calcutta B. Mine is still going strong after nearly 15 years.

Tranx would be my only option then... I don't care for Abu all that much.

I never had a round which is why I was thinking about getting one. Problem with the B is I'm left handed and the only one in lefty is the 200 series. But with the Calcutta D I can get the 300 or 400 in Lefty which is nice.
Ciscokid82
Posted 1/5/2018 10:27 PM (#889016 - in reply to #888994)

If you’re going to throw 10s a power handle will make it much easier to retrieve, but power handles make it more difficult to manipulate walk-the-dog baits or other baits that require cadence. Sooooo.... you should probably buy two setups!
DaN-
Posted 1/5/2018 10:53 PM (#889018 - in reply to #889016)

I probably won't be throwing 10s just for that reason. I bought a couple Handlebarz #8s and a #9 bucktails. Got a couple nice 9" swimbaits and I'm going to get a couple topwaters... probably stick with that for the year. I have too many smallmouth trips to pay for this year to keep buying musky baits, lol.
Beastly Backlash
Posted 1/6/2018 12:24 AM (#889019 - in reply to #888994)

I don't see a point to even consider the A3 when you have legit and proven reels like the Komodo SS and Lexa HD.

Both the Lexa 400HD and Komodo 471SS reels are built like compact, light weight tanks. The drive train it virtually impossible to kill on either reel, I have tried and failed to put a hurting on either reel. The stainless steel gearing just gets smoother and smoother with time. Both reels are tops in my book as far as 400 sized low profile bait casters go for cranking power.

The other two that would be worth considering are the Abu Garcia Toro Beast 60 and the Shimano Tranx 400.

For the price and how it compares to the competition, I really don't see the Toro Beast as being worth getting over a Komodo SS or Lexa HD for musky. The reel does feel more refined right out of the box, actually it is one of the smoothest bait casters I have ever used in its size class, but for some reason I just didn't feel as confident fishing the reel as hard as the first two reels I mentioned.

I haven't tried the Tranx 400 yet, but I have heard very good things about it. I have considered getting one just for kicks and giggles, but haven't found a real reason too get the reel beyond simply trying it out. Just as a note, the main gear of the Tranx 400 is smaller then the Lexa 400HD and Komodo 471SS reels, which can effect cranking power; something you should keep in mind.
Ciscokid82
Posted 1/6/2018 8:05 AM (#889028 - in reply to #888994)

No left for Lexa 400hd except 8 gear which is too fast to be good for all-around use. Komodo has lots of lefty choices but I have zero experience with Okuma. I still say stick to a Shimano in a 5 gear or low 6 and put a power handle on it. You’ll still reach for that setup when using buck tails even when you acquire more gear!
seanitolee
Posted 1/6/2018 8:28 AM (#889029 - in reply to #888994)

I'm going to second the Okuma Komodo SS. I used the original LEXA, and I have the LEXA HD. I've broken both in a season. The Okuma has taken everything i've thrown at it without a hiccup. I'm a die hard Daiwa guy, but the Okuma really made its mark on me. I've been snagged on a wreck in a 5mph current, burning drag as i drifted down stream, and its held up. The tube dragging style we do on the Niagara river has become a benchmark test for me with reels. The Okuma is the only one to last a season.
Also, as far as Do-All reels are concerned, It has more line capacity than an A3, and a bait clicker in case you decide to try trolling down the line. I'll recommend to anyone, novice or seasoned pro, the Komodo SS.
seanitolee
Posted 1/6/2018 8:34 AM (#889030 - in reply to #888994)

FWIW i'm a lefty as well. Some of the choice might come down to how you hold the rod and reel. I used a Lexa HD with power handle and 8 gear ratio for the jigging style we do around here, just because I've had a fish beat me to the boat and come off when i couldn't pickup line fast enough. When i'm casting however, I reach for the Okuma Komodo SS. the sideplate just fits so nicely in my hand when i'm palming it, it's mounted on a St Croix Legend Elite with the palming reel seat. Feels way better whether i'm moving big rubber baits, bucktails, or suicks dive and rise. It does it all, and well. The Lexa is only on my hand if i'm jigging, and not casting; hand placement is more on the rod than the reel, ready for the big hookset.
DaN-
Posted 1/7/2018 12:43 AM (#889089 - in reply to #889030)

So at this point I've narrowed it down to:
Komodo 364LX
Shimano Tranx 401

(Actually surprised I removed the Calcutta D from my finally 2, lol)

The Komodo sounds great, I'm just having a lot of trouble going away from Daiwa/Shimano reels because that is what I have trusted for years.

With that being said, I do own a Okuma Helios flipping stick that is pretty sweet and I know they make good stuff as a company.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 1/7/2018 3:47 AM (#889090 - in reply to #889089)

DaN- - 1/7/2018 1:43 AM

Komodo 364LX
Shimano Tranx 401

The Komodo sounds great, I'm just having a lot of trouble going away from Daiwa/Shimano reels because that is what I have trusted for years.

With that being said, I do own a Okuma Helios flipping stick that is pretty sweet and I know they make good stuff as a company.

Then dont go away from them..... shimano and daiwa offer proven musky reels. A Daiwa Lexa would be a great entry reel at s great price.
the tank
Posted 1/7/2018 8:47 AM (#889096 - in reply to #888994)

I've got 4 400tranx. 2pg 2 higher geared. I burn 8s 9s and 10s with the higher geared ones. never a problem.
Sidejack
Posted 1/7/2018 10:12 AM (#889104 - in reply to #889089)

DaN- - 1/7/2018 12:43 AM
Komodo 364LX
Shimano Tranx 401

I got away from Daiwa, Abu, and Shimano once they started making reels with disengaging level winds. Kept some TE's and older Revo Toros but sold the rest and replaced them with level winds that move back and forth when the spool release is pressed for the following reasons:

With disengaging level wind reels, when the cast release button is pushed and the line guide is all the way to one side of the spool, that's where it will stay. When you cast, line races out at incredible speed until it starts across the other side of the spool and begins to cut in against the grain. The spool has momentum so it keeps going and line starts to raise up in loops until it crosses over again to where the line guide is. This dramatic angle across the spool also creates large spikes of drag that cut down on casting distance and frays the first 40-50 feet of braid in short order due to the braid cutting in and ripping against itself across the spool.

Not surprising as most of the disengaging level wind reels were designed for harder/rounder lighter line like mono or flouro, not 80-100lb braids. I tried several of the tighter/rounder 8 or more weave braids thinking it might help but it didn't. Best way to reduce it is to make sure the line guide is close to center before every cast. If you prefer not to babysit your line guide position before each cast, pick up a non-disengaging level wind reel.

Also, don't rule out the 463 Komodo SS. It's noticeably smaller in hand and lighter than the Lexa 400 series.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 1/7/2018 11:50 AM (#889108 - in reply to #888994)

I highly Recommend the ABU Beast, S and the
Shimano Tranx 300, 400, and 500 Reels !!!
Beastly Backlash
Posted 1/7/2018 4:26 PM (#889124 - in reply to #889090)

JakeStCroixSkis - 1/7/2018 4:47 AM

Komodo 364LX
Shimano Tranx 401

Then dont go away from them..... shimano and daiwa offer proven musky reels. A Daiwa Lexa would be a great entry reel at s great price.

Sorry, but the smaller Tranx reels are not what I would call proven as of yet.

How long have they been out compared to the Lexas and Komodos?
Beastly Backlash
Posted 1/7/2018 4:28 PM (#889125 - in reply to #889089)

Komodo 364LX
Shimano Tranx 401

Regardless of your choice, it would be better to stick with the 400 sized reels just for the added cranking power. JMHO
DaN-
Posted 1/7/2018 6:46 PM (#889136 - in reply to #889125)

Beastly Backlash - 1/7/2018 5:28 PM

Komodo 364LX
Shimano Tranx 401

Regardless of your choice, it would be better to stick with the 400 sized reels just for the added cranking power. JMHO

Reason I was looking at the Komodo 364LX is because it basically holds the same amount of line that the Calcutta 400D and Tranx 400 hold, not to mention I would prefer to not have a reel that basically weighs a pound.
DaN-
Posted 1/7/2018 6:51 PM (#889137 - in reply to #889104)

Sidejack - 1/7/2018 11:12 AM

DaN- - 1/7/2018 12:43 AM
Komodo 364LX
Shimano Tranx 401

I got away from Daiwa, Abu, and Shimano once they started making reels with disengaging level winds. Kept some TE's and older Revo Toros but sold the rest and replaced them with level winds that move back and forth when the spool release is pressed for the following reasons:

With disengaging level wind reels, when the cast release button is pushed and the line guide is all the way to one side of the spool, that's where it will stay. When you cast, line races out at incredible speed until it starts across the other side of the spool and begins to cut in against the grain. The spool has momentum so it keeps going and line starts to raise up in loops until it crosses over again to where the line guide is. This dramatic angle across the spool also creates large spikes of drag that cut down on casting distance and frays the first 40-50 feet of braid in short order due to the braid cutting in and ripping against itself across the spool.

Not surprising as most of the disengaging level wind reels were designed for harder/rounder lighter line like mono or flouro, not 80-100lb braids. I tried several of the tighter/rounder 8 or more weave braids thinking it might help but it didn't. Best way to reduce it is to make sure the line guide is close to center before every cast. If you prefer not to babysit your line guide position before each cast, pick up a non-disengaging level wind reel.

Also, don't rule out the 463 Komodo SS. It's noticeably smaller in hand and lighter than the Lexa 400 series.

I know what you are saying, but with the newer reels that have a deeper/thinner spool the levelwind has less impact on the cast. This is the same argument for the TWS system that I have on a lot of my Daiwa baitcaster bass reels. I actually don't buy into the TWS thing where it is supposed to increase casting distance due to less friction and angle of line stripping off spool. About the only thing I think it makes a difference in is skipping jigs because the reel is just more consistent. As far as cast distance I have a Steez EX that has a normal round line guide that out casts every TWS reel I own, including a Steez A TW.

If this was on an older, very wide spool I would agree with your comment, but don't think it would be a big deal on either the Tranx or Calcutta.
Sidejack
Posted 1/7/2018 8:27 PM (#889142 - in reply to #888994)

My comments are based on my own experience owning and using the products i referred to, not speculation.
Not concerned about anyone agreeing with me, just sharing experiences that may be helpful to others.
NPike
Posted 1/7/2018 8:35 PM (#889143 - in reply to #889142)

A thought if your beginning Musky fishing. Perhaps start out with Shimono Stadic 5000 spinning reel. This would couple up well with an 8' Mojo Musky rod by St. Croix. Could save on the learning curve? The combo cast a mile, holds up to some very nice fish and is well suited for the weight baits you mention.
DaN-
Posted 1/7/2018 9:43 PM (#889145 - in reply to #889143)

I thought about that, but I don't use spinning all that often. I have one ML 7'2 spinning combo for dropshotting on the great lakes, and only super light baits. Most of the time I'm even drop shotting with a baitcaster. I just don't enjoy using them anymore.

I'm pretty sure I'll end up with the Tranx400 and a 3-10oz rod.
T3clay
Posted 1/8/2018 10:59 AM (#889173 - in reply to #888994)

Another vote to the Toro S, awesome reel
DaN-
Posted 1/8/2018 12:15 PM (#889180 - in reply to #888994)

So today I stopped dwelling on what I wanted to do and picked up a Komodo SS 364 lefty with a power handle for $180. Feels good to get it out of the way. Thanks for help and mentioning the Komodo, it wasn't on my list of the ones I was looking at to begin with. Plan on putting 80lb Maxcuatro on it so I can get a little extra capacity on it since it's closer to most brands 65lb. Even with backing I should be able to get the whole 150yrd spool on it.
seanitolee
Posted 1/8/2018 12:44 PM (#889182 - in reply to #889180)

Nice! a little word of advice, get the brakes set where you want them before you take it out on the boat. Turning the screw by hand to set the brake system is a little tricky, and the side plate has to be aligned just right to get it back together. It's alot easier to manage in your lap on dry land, than it is on a pitching boat standing up.
Also, nice choice on the MaxCuatro. I had terrible issues with PowerPro for my first season, then i went to MaxCuatro and have been satisfied for the past two.
Clammer
Posted 1/8/2018 3:29 PM (#889207 - in reply to #889180)

DaN- - 1/8/2018 12:15 PM

So today I stopped dwelling on what I wanted to do and picked up a Komodo SS 364 lefty with a power handle for $180. Feels good to get it out of the way. Thanks for help and mentioning the Komodo, it wasn't on my list of the ones I was looking at to begin with. Plan on putting 80lb Maxcuatro on it so I can get a little extra capacity on it since it's closer to most brands 65lb. Even with backing I should be able to get the whole 150yrd spool on it.

Nice! Hope it serves you well.
DaN-
Posted 1/9/2018 1:01 AM (#889258 - in reply to #889182)

seanitolee - 1/8/2018 1:44 PM

Nice! a little word of advice, get the brakes set where you want them before you take it out on the boat. Turning the screw by hand to set the brake system is a little tricky, and the side plate has to be aligned just right to get it back together. It's alot easier to manage in your lap on dry land, than it is on a pitching boat standing up.
Also, nice choice on the MaxCuatro. I had terrible issues with PowerPro for my first season, then i went to MaxCuatro and have been satisfied for the past two.

Sufix 832 is what I usually use for bass, but for that extra line capacity i had to go with Max, which is usually my second choice anyways. Only time I use regular PP is the 15lb stuff on my drop-shotting rods because I like to use the Vermillion red color
25homes
Posted 1/9/2018 9:00 AM (#889279 - in reply to #888994)

I have the A3 its a sick reel and built like a tank. That being said if your a Daiwa guy go buy a LEXAHD or the LEXA Winn those are sick reels you can pick up online for $150ish...cant go wrong man I own 4 beasts A3 2 toro S max toro few round abus and the LEXA 300 got 5 of the lexa 300s and that's my favorite go to...have couple lexa 400s as well but the 300 is my money reel
DaN-
Posted 1/9/2018 10:29 AM (#889292 - in reply to #889279)

I already ordered a reel yesterday. Got a Komodo SS 364L with a power handle on eBay for $180.