Tarpon Fishing
goose
Posted 12/20/2017 10:29 PM (#887642)
Subject: Tarpon Fishing

Hey guys, anyone been Tarpon fishing in Florida? I am Thinking about giving it a shot in April. Anyone out there have any suggestions on locations and guides? Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts....
Dan111
Posted 12/21/2017 12:12 AM (#887646 - in reply to #887642)
Subject: Re: Tarpon Fishing

nope but they look awesome
Fish4muskie
Posted 12/21/2017 5:54 AM (#887651 - in reply to #887642)

On my bucket list...if you do go make sure to post back please.
burningdubs
Posted 12/21/2017 6:58 AM (#887655 - in reply to #887651)

If you do a search you will find a lot of guide suggestions as well as prime times.
Pepper
Posted 12/21/2017 8:16 AM (#887661 - in reply to #887642)

Jason Hamernick guides for tarpon in Florida 612-209-0608
jaultman
Posted 12/21/2017 8:19 AM (#887662 - in reply to #887655)

I think it's "detroithardcore" (or something like that) who's our resident MuskieFirst expert on tarpon fishing in Florida.

I spent a few days fishing with my uncle in Boca Grande Pass and Charlotte Harbor (Fort Myers area). Non-guided, hooked a few, landed one, awesome time. Boca Grande is a premier spot, especially in May - June if I recall. But since that trip, I've seen a number of youtube videos on different styles of tarpon fishing that look incredibly fun.

I do believe the best area is SW Florida - Keys up to maybe Tampa?
Slamr
Posted 12/21/2017 8:44 AM (#887666 - in reply to #887642)

Lots of info on tarpon fishing for us northerners on the site: http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/search/query.asp?fid=0&action...

I've done it a few days...thinking Puerto Rico in May with my cousin for his college graduation trip (kid is so crazy spoiled and doesn't even see it). Barely rebuilt island, gotta be good for cheap prices.

AND, if you go...try to find a place that fishes shallow waters versus deep. If it's deep water they will bulldog on you forever. More fun when they're up higher.
jheminva
Posted 12/21/2017 8:58 AM (#887670 - in reply to #887666)

I have fished a lot with Magic Tarpon in PR, would recommend them.
Top H2O
Posted 12/21/2017 9:30 AM (#887673 - in reply to #887670)

Bobbie is the Tarpon expert here !
Ben Olson has guided him a few years down around Marco Island in April.
Shallow Water Tarpon has to be a total Rush.... Some Day, Some Day....
Hamerneck would be fun to fish with.

Jerome
Copper Thunder
Posted 12/21/2017 9:47 AM (#887675 - in reply to #887642)

I've done tarpon fishing in Florida annually since 1986 with it being a three week trip for the last decade. ALL of it was flyfishing, however. It's perhaps the only thing I enjoy even more than musky fishing. Before you go you have to decide if catching at least one tarpon is your priority. If so, then fishing in areas like Boca Grande in deeper water areas makes the most sense. So does bridge fishing in the Keys proper (fishing around bridges in a boat) and night fishing. The other option is sight fishing for them which is just about all I do. There one has to be able to spot fish in the shallow water and make a precise cast. To me that makes it more of a challenge with a bigger reward, much like casting baits to musky as opposed to trolling or sucker fishing. Many of the flyfishing guides will take out gear fishermen, but you're better off with a guide who does all gear fishing, and for that I do not have any names. Tarpon are available all along the Florida coasts both up to the panhandle and on the other coast up at least to Jacksonville. On the Atlantic coast it becomes almost exclusively a deeper water gear fishery north of Jupiter.
tomcat
Posted 12/21/2017 10:52 AM (#887681 - in reply to #887642)

I have fished for tarpon in April in florida several times now. my favorite april tarpon fishing in near Marco Island. Stay on marco, and fish the area called "1000 Islands" and some bigger bays that are really close to 1000 Islands. the Bay will be filled with huge tarpon. you'll see them jumping and eating while you are fishing. not guaranteed to land a big one..but pretty freaking close. Marco Island..then just south of Marco is 1000 Islands. get out of all the little cuts into a biggger bay...
Nomadmusky
Posted 12/21/2017 11:34 AM (#887685 - in reply to #887642)
Subject: RE: Tarpon Fishing

I loved Boca Grande and would go back there in a Heart Beat. It's a great little town with no franchises, little shops, and lots of water. Yes it has the deep water and a flotilla of boats, but you can hit sight fishing spots just as easily, or even take a break and go way off shore and fish wrecks, (Try Amberjack if you can)!

I found it to be a great hub for a wide variety of ways to chase them. You can also find some great guides down there, and we also found some off the beaten path guides that knew the water well. They have a great little fly shop in town and they weren't too biased, but the little restaurants also had good input as to who they would recommend for guides.

You won't regret the trip!

Nomad.
Junkman
Posted 12/21/2017 1:57 PM (#887696 - in reply to #887642)

I’m getting into fishing the Matlacha area pretty heavy now that I’m even sporting a Florida drivers license. Boca Grande pass is about twenty or twenty-five minutes north west and I’m told the fish are just starting to hit there in early May and it’s June before it’s a zoo there. I’m pretty sure you are going to want to be well south if it’s April and you wish to target Tarpon. Sure they can be caught all year there but it’s all about what you want your chances to look like.
MuskyTime
Posted 12/21/2017 3:15 PM (#887702 - in reply to #887642)

Jon Sebold
SFP Outfitters inc.
Marco Island, FLA

If your looking for a great trip and great guy and catching tarpon with musky gear and taking beautiful boat rides through the everglades!

This is for you!

Ed
musky1969
Posted 12/21/2017 5:46 PM (#887714 - in reply to #887642)

I second Jon Sebold with SFP outfitters it was awesome fitting Tarpon with musky gear.
Darren
muskie-don58
Posted 12/22/2017 10:08 AM (#887768 - in reply to #887642)

Bucket list , for sure
Andy Myers Lodge
Posted 12/22/2017 3:04 PM (#887801 - in reply to #887642)

if going to be in marathon or islemorada fla google capt Kilgore.
fished with him 4 times. hardcore expereinced and produces.
steve herbeck
JoeP
Posted 12/22/2017 3:27 PM (#887802 - in reply to #887642)

Is March too early?
Copper Thunder
Posted 12/23/2017 10:11 AM (#887844 - in reply to #887802)

JoeP - 12/22/2017 3:27 PM

Is March too early?

Depends on where you're headed. Some areas have mostly migratory poons and then catching fish only happens during the "season" which varies from area to area. Other areas, Florida Bay and the Everglades for example, have mostly residential fish. Those areas are mostly weather dependent and can produce at least some fish year around if the weather is reasonably stable. Florida still gets some nasty cold fronts in March and it can also be one of the windiest months of the year. Wind is a real curse for the fly fisherman, but still affects the visibility of fish even if using gear and sight fishing.
muskyhawk66
Posted 12/23/2017 2:07 PM (#887872 - in reply to #887642)

I've been to Costa Rica Tarpon fishing many times. I highly recommend Rio Parismina. Excellent facilities, location and food! So many tarpon and so little pressure. I caught 10 in 3 hours once. Exhausting but fun
Big Rock
Posted 12/24/2017 10:41 AM (#887966 - in reply to #887642)

Went to ft myers last april and fished with Keith from Crooked rod guide service. Fished Boca grand and another bridge. Those things fight like 3 muskies at once. Not much at all like musky fishing unless you are using live bait. Casting jigs around the bridges with lighter gear is the way to go earlier in spring. Line capacity is key. The big fish show up in april - october. BTW. Jumped 3 landed 0. One was longer than me.

Edited by Big Rock 12/24/2017 10:49 AM
bobbie
Posted 12/25/2017 2:46 PM (#888037 - in reply to #887966)

I got Jason and Ben booked in April. I have fished with SFP also You can't go wrong with any of them. Marco is great place in April
Rotorhead
Posted 12/26/2017 9:53 AM (#888081 - in reply to #887642)

I don't see the point in hiring a guide - lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdnHGm5VGwM
detroithardcore
Posted 12/26/2017 11:40 AM (#888085 - in reply to #887642)

Happy to help if needed. April in some areas is epic Tarpon fishing. So many factors involved in what your planning? Lived 7 years fishing down in Florida and been chasing Poons for many years with any method possible. Most has been with SFP flying down 3-5 trips a year with 4 day trips. We've hooked so many fish on fly, plug, live bait, lures and finding active Tarpon when it's tough can be a real challenge. So much water to cover its mindboging. And trust me...there's a HUGE difference between finding 5-20 Tarpon and finding 500 Tarpon. It can make or break your day. You find 20, you might be lucky to jump one, that is if you made the perfect cast. If you find 500, you've got room for error and can hook and jump 10-20, maybe land more if luck is on your side. PM me if I can help...happy to help. Just a warning...it will change your entire aspect on fishing any species. It will make you wanna pick up a fly rod, will make you only feel good when you sight fish and you'll realize that some species you thought you loved and were so cool truly aren't that special like a Tarpon. Tarpon, Permit have so far have challenged me beyond mental capacity at times. Just a warning...I picked up a fly rod years ago specifically to catch Tarpon on Fly and that's all I think about even after I've hooked, jumped and landed a bunch. So many factors involved on truly earning a fish catch.

Edited by detroithardcore 12/26/2017 11:47 AM
bobbie
Posted 12/28/2017 5:12 PM (#888310 - in reply to #888085)

Last April

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 5129 (Copy).jpeg (42KB - 599 downloads)
Slamr
Posted 12/29/2017 8:53 AM (#888350 - in reply to #887642)

Really dying to do this again!

(guide estimated this fish at 125lbs...but lost one MUCH bigger shortly afterwards)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Tarpon1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Tarpon1.JPG (388KB - 544 downloads)
sworrall
Posted 12/29/2017 1:25 PM (#888379 - in reply to #887642)

That looks fun.
ToddM
Posted 12/29/2017 1:50 PM (#888381 - in reply to #887642)

Slamr, you're using a gaff, I'm te-e-e-lling! Nice fish btw, congrats!
Slumpbuster
Posted 1/1/2018 1:51 PM (#888633 - in reply to #888381)

ToddM - 12/29/2017 1:50 PM

Slamr, you're using a gaff, I'm te-e-e-lling! Nice fish btw, congrats!

I’ve got no problem with the gaff but I don’t see a bump board!! Gonna need a pretty big one for an accurate measurement on a 125lber!
travelingfisherman
Posted 3/27/2018 7:27 PM (#900294 - in reply to #887642)

I am very grateful for the help I received in this forum so I am going to give you some advice on tarpon fishing based on my +20 years experience in catching tarpon.I live in South Florida and catch tarpon often so I hope what I am going to write helps you or someone else that wants to visit Florida to catch a tarpon. With that said here are some of my recomendations for those that want to fish for tarpon in South Florida;

1. You do not need to hire a guide to catch a tarpon, they are very plentiful and can be found thoughout the shoreline, backcountry, and even in 100% freshwater canals of South Florida. You do need to bring good tackle to fight these powerful fish and do your research in advance so you can have a good chance at catching a tarpon from land.
2. Use at least 50 pound mono leader if you want to catch a tarpon, and even heavier leader( 80-120 pound test mono leader) if your goal is to catch a big tarpon. These fish have very hard bony mouths and the corner of the mouths can easily cut lighter lines. You can catch baby tarpon up to 30 pounds with 30-40 pound mono leader but it is risky and you might lose more fish than you will catch.
3. A tarpon is much more powerful and has more endurance than a muskie of equal size so make sure you bring good gear to fight these fish. Your reel needs to have a reliable, smooth drag. Your guides need to be in excellent condition with no nicks. You can use a piece of cotton and put it though the guides to see if the guides are good. A typical muskie rod can be a good tarpon rod, but you might need a stronger rod depending on what technique you are using. Make sure that your line is in good condition as well and check it often for damage while tarpon fishing.
4. You must ''bow to the king'' when a tarpon jumps or you will most likely lose the tarpon. Tarpon are masters at throwing the hook out and using this technique increases your chances at landing a tarpon. Strong, sharp hooks are a must in tarpon fishing, so its worth spending a little more money for quality hooks.
5. Inshore tarpon can be caught on spooks, poppers, Yo Zuri jerk baits, jigs rigged with a soft plastic trailer , and Flair hawk jigs in areas with current. Freshwater tarpon will hit the same lures a bass will hit, especially poppers, jerkbaits, and swimbaits.
6. Mullet, pinfish, and live crabs are good live bait for tarpon in saltwater. Bluegills and other types of sunfish are good live bait for freshwater tarpon.

You mentioned that you will be visiting South Florida in April, that is a excellent time for land based tarpon fishing in the Florida Keys. There is plenty of tarpon on the channel 2, channel 5, long key,seven mile fishing bridge, and the bottom of the old and new Bahia Honda bridges. There is lots of current there but lots of tarpon so its worth fishing these locations. I prefer to fish under these bridges on the land based spots. Live bait works very well in these locations, but you can catch the tarpon with the lures I mentioned earlier. Let me know if you need more help. I might not check this forum often so you can email me if you have further questions. Good luck and hope you catch a tarpon in your Florida vacation.

Edited by travelingfisherman 3/27/2018 7:32 PM
gtaggart
Posted 3/27/2018 8:43 PM (#900308 - in reply to #887642)

I have fished for tarpon many times and have been lucky enough to land several. There is not a fish in fresh or salt water that I would rather fish for. I will be fishing for them again in May down in the keys. They are definitely a bucket list fish.
mtcook16
Posted 4/5/2018 3:19 PM (#901307 - in reply to #887642)

Mark Bennett knows his stuff and is about as good as they get. He is in the Tarpon capital, Boca Grande.

https://www.facebook.com/tarponsnook
http://www.tarponsnook.com/
R/T
Posted 4/6/2018 1:33 PM (#901432 - in reply to #887642)

Never fished tarpon and wanted to give it a try. Had a half day to go at while visiting my uncle down in Cape Coral. Came across Jeff Speros who owns Tiger Musky Resort on the Chippewa Flowage and booked him for a half day. We mostly anchored up and put out live bait. Nothing. Then moved to deeper water within sight of the Sanibel Causeway and we finally made contact with a very large tarpon. This fish spit the hook within seconds but as its entire body was out of the water close to the boat we got a good look. Only contact of the day. This was about 3 years ago so not sure if he is still at it.
Lake Of The Woods
Posted 3/30/2019 4:24 PM (#934167 - in reply to #887642)

My brother lives in the Sarasota area and I have been on his boat tarpon fishing almost every year for the last dozen or so. Boca Grande Pass between Gasparilla Island and Cayo Costa Island is by far the best area to fish as it has the highest concentration of Tarpon compared to other locations along the west coast. However , the boat traffic can be heavy especially on the weekends so to avoid the masses try fishing during the week. Try to fish during the Hill Tide times as they are some of the strongest tides of the year during spring. During a hill tide, the strong current flush crabs out from the Charlotte and Peace River Harbor to thousands of waiting tarpon. The season starts from the middle of April to middle of May and can stretch out as long as August to September with June being considered the peak time.

2019 Hill Tide Calendar
May 6th-10th & 16th-23rd
June 1st-7th & 14th-20th & 29th & 30th
July 1st-6th & 12-19th

We use crab as bait and they can be the purple legged, brown or blue. The ones we use 90% of the time are the blue crab as they are very abundant. Use a 6/0 or 7/0 circle hook and pierce the side wing of the crab from the underside then slowly work the hook through the shell being careful not to crack it. This allows the crab to swim freely, look natural and stay alive for very long periods of time and even to be used the next day. Make sure to remove the claws by taking pliers and squeezing them with medium pressure. The crab will automatically drop the claw from it's body at the base of the shell. If you do not remove the claws the crab will take hold of the leader line and not swim freely which in turn will not attract the attention of a feeding tarpon. Most bait shops sell the crabs de-clawed.

For gear we use 8 foot medium-heavy rods with ceramic guides and 5000 to 6000 size spinning reels loaded with 250 yards of 60 lb. test braided line and a 5 foot 80 lb. test fluorocarbon leader. Adding weight to get down deeper may be necessary depending on where the Tarpon are feeding on a daily basis. Watching a surface feeding frenzy when they are high is a rush and a great opportunity to drop your bait head on into the Tarpons face increasing the chances of hooking into one. When you do hook into a Silver King get ready for 30 minutes to 60 minutes plus of heavy weight fun depending on the size. A 100 pound fish is considered small as 200-250 pounders are lurking everywhere.

We have had big fish take us for a 45 minute slow cruise down the shoreline before it tired out enough to get it boat side for release,... that is a shark didn't get to it first,...which happens quite often.

There are plenty of public ramps and marinas to put your boat in and also purchase bait.

Aside from Boca Grande there are many other areas along the coast to fish.We have also had great fishing along Bradenton Beach, Siesta Key and Venice and the plus is low boat traffic.

Edited by Lake Of The Woods 3/30/2019 4:30 PM
bobbie
Posted 3/31/2019 9:42 AM (#934203 - in reply to #934167)

going in 3 weeks with Jason and SFP
UglyPike
Posted 3/31/2019 11:29 PM (#934262 - in reply to #887642)

Im in Naples FL right now. My wife lost a massive 125 lber boatside the other day. Call Peter Root and he will put you on tarpon. Great guide. Tell him Frank the Muskie podcaster from last week sent you.