Weird day...
Schuler
Posted 9/4/2003 7:43 PM (#80644)
Subject: Weird day...

Well, after work today I figured it wouldn't be worth taking the boat anywhere so I went to a lake and brought an ice rod to go crappie fishing and a muskie pole to put the crappie on for bait. (I do this a lot) So I catch a crappie and put it on my muskie pole then my Ice rod is pulled into the lake and I lost it. (Probobly a bass, almost had that happen a few time)

And I'm using another guy's pole with a treble on it trying to find my ice pole. I notice my musky bobber is a couple inches under the water. The crappies do that a lot themselves, but I just had a weird feeling so I set the hook. Boom I'm on and in the biggest fight of my life. I think it literally lasted 5 minutes! I don't play the fish out either. It was crazy. Anyway It was a 45-46" fish and I got it to me and got my berkley lip grip on it. It feel off 3 times before I had it on and it stayed on, then i got the hook out and then it pulled away with the lip grip attached. (no picture) I'm a little worried about the fish. A 5 minute fight in warm water with a lip grip attached. Will it be easy for the fish to get the grip off? I feel pretty bad about that. Although I thought about how the pin comes loose when its just sitting and it came off 3 times on the fish. But I dont' know for sure, I"m still worried.

sworrall
Posted 9/4/2003 7:45 PM (#80645 - in reply to #80644)
Subject: RE: Weird day...

I would bet the lip grip will fall off pretty easily as the fish head sheaks. If it was falling off all the time, it shouldn't stay clamped for long.
MikeHulbert
Posted 9/4/2003 11:41 PM (#80663 - in reply to #80644)

I would say that anytime you are musky fishing, you need to have a musky net. The Frabil Big Kahuna will do the job.

Also, if you are so worried about the fish, then why fish for them when the water temps are to high???????

Use a net and forget about the grip. And don't musky fish if the temps are to high.

Pretty simple

Mike Hulbert

Sponge
Posted 9/5/2003 4:06 AM (#80667 - in reply to #80644)

Fear not young Jedi; like Worrall said, no do

Edited by Sponge 8/22/2006 7:35 PM
Schuler
Posted 9/5/2003 9:51 PM (#80744 - in reply to #80644)

I've never had a fish die to hot water, but I've always had a chance to revive them good. But it was really thrashing so It should be ok

I have a good net, but dont' bring it with when I'm just fishing off a dock, plus its a pain in the butt to fight a fish and deploy the net.

stephendawg
Posted 9/5/2003 11:50 PM (#80747 - in reply to #80644)

Zach, congratulations on a really great fish! Even the pros make a blunder once in a while so move on to the next fish. Crimeny, anyone who knows you at all knows what a musky nut you are. It doesn't make you exempt from unexpected trouble even though I have a hunch you've played all kinds of scenarios in your mind trying to be prepared for the "unexpected". Just keep doing your best and as was said before, "Chalk it up for experience."

My advice... Lay about 10 rods and a big net in your boat and practice the "Al Lindner 2-step!" Doesn't it crack you up sometimes to see such a seasoned angler fumble around all the tackle laying in his boat? I wonder how many rods he's trashed.(lol) As I recall, the biggest pike he ever caught was on an outing when he forgot his net. Hmmmmm?  Surely not Al.......!

sworrall
Posted 9/6/2003 7:14 PM (#80766 - in reply to #80747)

It was 82 degrees in Rhinelander today, about 12 degrees higher than the average this time of year. Makes for weird days, it felt like July here.