Different strains...

Posted 9/3/2003 1:23 PM (#80484)
Subject: Different strains...

Hi all... I'm interested in muskellunge genetics and how to improve muskie fishing, etc. I was wondering if you cross two strains of muskellunge would that be considered a hybrid??? Like if you were to cross a Kentucky (Ohio River Basin) muskie with a spotted or barred muskie, what kind of muskie would you get and would it grow faster like a tiger muskie does???
Would it have more vigor and be able to tolerate warmer water conditions? Does anyone know if they have done research on this??? I've heard that if you cross a muskie with a chain pickerel you get a hardy fish that can handle different water conditions and such... It doesn't grow as big as a pure strain muskie, but looks really cool.
sworrall
Posted 9/3/2003 11:23 PM (#80556 - in reply to #80484)
Subject: RE: Different strains...

Hybrids are generally a mix with a pike and a muskie, pike male, muskie female. They are sterile, so do not reproduce. I'm not sure about crossbreeding Spotted muskies and barred fish, anyone know if that works?
ESOX Maniac
Posted 9/6/2003 8:52 AM (#80754 - in reply to #80484)

Hi Will- Pray tell, are you from Missouri? That question is not mean't to offend anyone. If this is a test, here are my test reponses in no general order.

I believe the majority of MF users are solely intent on the  pursuit & capture of these beasties. However,  some also like to dabble in the scientific side of the mighty Muskie, and I believe some may even work for the DNR (see- the "Muskie Research" forum) Yes- most of us know that there are five subspecies of Muskies- perhaps that is the the real answer to your question, i.e., they should be capable of of interbreeding. However, I cannot say that I have seen any of these deviates.

But,  as "sworrall" notes above, the word "hybrid' implies two different species, i.e., muskie & northern pike. Hybrids of muskie & northern pike (Tiger Muskies) do occur naturally where their ranges overlap, i.e., they occur in the same lake or river. Canada is a good example because there is no intentional stocking of hatchery Tiger's, i.e., artificially produced Tiger Muskies.  Why would one want to deliberately cross a pickerel with a muskie?  It seems like a counter productive endeavor. Why not just fish for pickerel's? Besides,  the pickerel fanatics would probably picket the hatchery.

As for your last statement- you might try here-> http://www.fishbase.org/home.htm

Good Luck

Al Warner

http://www.zaltnad.com

"Stupidity has a certain charm --ignorance does not." FZ

Posted 9/6/2003 10:01 AM (#80756 - in reply to #80484)

There are many advantages to crossing muskies with chain pike...

1. They grow faster, live longer.

2. More hardy, more vigor and better fighters.

3. Don't get as big as pure strains but just about, what they
lack in size they make up for in fight.

4. Can tolerate adverse water conditions much better, like
warmer water that they have down south, Arkansas, Illinois,
Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, etc.

5. They look really cool and make for pretty pics (lol).

Not from Missouri, but close. From Illinois where the department is doing research on different strains from great lakes and Kentucky stock.