Quantum Iron Reels
MikeHulbert
Posted 9/3/2003 12:25 PM (#80467)
Subject: Quantum Iron Reels

How are the Quantum Iron IR 320's, 420 CX and the 430 CX?

Or are there other Quantums that are better? I am getting tired of blowing up all of my 6500's and 6600's Garcia's after about 3 weeks of use.

Thanks,
Mike Hulbert
nwild
Posted 9/3/2003 12:36 PM (#80469 - in reply to #80467)
Subject: RE: Quantum Iron Reels

Mike,
I had three quantum Iron CWL400. I bought the first and thought it was awesome. It was incredibly smooth, so I bought two more. After a year of use they were junk--all three of them. Quantum discontinued the reel that year, no longer offered replacement parts and had no other left handed reels to offer me. I was not very pleased to say the least. My past experiences with Quantum leads me to stay away from them now.
Ranger
Posted 9/3/2003 12:57 PM (#80472 - in reply to #80469)

I ditto the idea that "Quantums are junk" as that was my experience, too. Mike, check out the Hatterras Outfitters website to purchase tricked-out Abus in the 5000 and 6000 series.
MikeHulbert
Posted 9/3/2003 1:09 PM (#80475 - in reply to #80467)

Ranger,

I know those reels on the Outfitters site are pretty cool, but I have 2 of them and they lasted me the month of June, then junk.

Hulbert
nwild
Posted 9/3/2003 1:12 PM (#80478 - in reply to #80467)

Mike,
After having to superglue one of your reels back together in my boat this summer I am beginning to think maybe your a "little rough" on your equipment.
Slamr
Posted 9/3/2003 1:19 PM (#80482 - in reply to #80467)

What reels AREN'T junk? My Garcias are falling apart, I've heard less than stellar things about the longevity of Shimano (except the $300 TEs), only a few people are fans of Daiwa or Penn...where to go with reels?
I stick with Garcia personally because for the cost of shipping, they pretty much fix or replace all my reels with a very fast turn around time.
Troyz
Posted 9/3/2003 1:28 PM (#80487 - in reply to #80472)

Mike

I would agree with Norm on the Quantums with the left handed models, I have had 2 lefties for 4 years now, both have been sent back once for repair, one right out of the box. They have been holding up, but they are mostly used only by my wife and do not see alot of water time. But when it come to the the right handed models, it has been my most reliable reel that I have owned besided an old garcia 6000. I have had 2 Iron 400CW Right Handed going on my fifth season, these reels have never seen a repair shop yet. I cannot say that about the 5500 or 6500 that I have owned. This year I am trying the morrum 6500 and truly like this reel, and have not had any problems with this reel until last week, and the pawl?? is worn out in the level wind. Mike I do not know if there is truly a reel out there that will ever live up to the demand we put on them, but once someone designs one the will be selling the @#%# out them to us nuts.

Good Fishing

Troyz

CiscoKid
Posted 9/3/2003 1:44 PM (#80491 - in reply to #80467)

Mike,

I'm a bit confused by you. You stated that the Okuma's are great, so why are you looking at the Quantums?
jt
Posted 9/3/2003 5:28 PM (#80516 - in reply to #80467)

The reel discussion...Quantams are pretty much crap. I have no idea how many Abu's I've smoked. The last one I bought lasted 3 months. I have 2 calcutta 400's and for all intents and purposes they are solid and reliable and handle the punishment. They have their ticks like any other reel. When your thumb bar won't engage the spool,you can open them up,dry/
clean them up and oil em',ready to go. I get made fun of when I'm taking apart and fixing reels and maintaining boat position but I'll take that anyday than another dissappointing garcia purchase. It is a shame when a company that used to build killer reels in their day cheapen up on parts
to save a few and you end up with a pile for a reel if it lasts you a season you don't fish hard enough or one of the lucky ones that has an ol'reliable . There is n't a reel a n avid musky angler won't break,it's a rough sport man. Tricked out or not, it's not a calcutta. I am going to check out the Okuma (hope that's right) reels for sure but until then ,no
more crappy reels for me and maybe some day some where on some planet a reel will be made, a reel like no other that has sparkles bells and whistles and will make excuses for getting off the water late!

Someday

JonTorok

EAT FISH TATTOO
Tahoe
Posted 9/3/2003 7:12 PM (#80525 - in reply to #80467)

Mike, My Garcia's are all falling apart. I too would like to know what to do: Short term: I'll stick with Garcia. I sent in my 5600C4 2 weeks ago. It came back repaired or so it was suppose to, everything I sent it in for went wrong. So I sent it back and got a new reel within days. I can live with that...But.....These reels should not do this every year.

ToddM
Posted 9/3/2003 9:47 PM (#80542 - in reply to #80467)

I bought a quantum iron 400acs on ebay brand new, really cheap. So far so good. it's the only reel I own that I have not backlashed. I have it on my cranking rod and throw heavier stuff with it. So far so good. It's not the wide reel, has a spool the same width as a shimano calcutta 250. Spooled with 65lb power pro. For 49 bucks i could not go too wrong, it's 100 bucks in the catalogs.