LOTW August vs September
muskyaddict
Posted 9/2/2003 2:39 PM (#80379)
Subject: LOTW August vs September

Hi all,

I ususally go to Canada during the 2nd or 3rd week of August. Next year, I'm thinking about the first week in September. Does anybody have any experience up there at this time of year? Is the musky fishing just as good then as in August. Any help would be appreciated.
sworrall
Posted 9/2/2003 3:13 PM (#80382 - in reply to #80379)
Subject: RE: LOTW August vs September

As with anything, it depends on weather patterns. If the weather is 'normal' for that period, then yes, the first week September can be and usually is really good. The water temps will be falling into the 60's, but no turn will have happened yet, and the topwater bite should stil be on. If you get to the very Northern reaches of LOTW, it can be Fall already,  and that can be a very good thing.
mikie
Posted 9/3/2003 6:55 AM (#80432 - in reply to #80382)

For what it is worth, the lady at the Sab Bay Lodge told us that the bigger fish tend to come up mid-September but the late August dates seem to produce more in numbers. m
muskyaddict
Posted 9/3/2003 7:09 AM (#80433 - in reply to #80379)

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it alot.
Rich Gallagher
Posted 9/3/2003 7:46 PM (#80528 - in reply to #80379)

Pat,

The last 4-5 years we have been going up the last week of August so we would gain an extra day home with the labor Day Holiday to recoup from 9 days of banging hard for muskies on LOTW.  We have caught the algae bloom every year which turned the Monument Bay area into pea soup. Daily runs of 30 miles each way were common to find clear water!  The bloom is probably not bad for the muskies, but impossible for anglers to see follows & fish.  Personally I'd be wary of making a trip up there during this time, as many of the guys in our group are opting for mid-July or October trips as a result of the bloom.  My .02 cents!  Hope it helps.