LOTW July 22 tp 29th Not great
Mudpuppy
Posted 7/30/2017 7:32 PM (#872177)
Subject: LOTW July 22 tp 29th Not great

Fished with daughter and grandson, out of Morson. Sunday daughter tagged a 48, in coontail on a blue silver showgirl,her biggest and Monday grandson released a 40 his first top water on rocks. Tues. daughter caught a 41 on rocks. Thats it for the week. No wind, hot sunny, we fished till full dark every night. Few follows, to call it slow was being kind.
Talked to several skilled Musky guys, that know what they are doing long timers on LOTW. Same story. Heard a lot of should have been here last week comments as muskies were apparently very active. LOTW can be off too and was.

Mudpuppy
Propster
Posted 7/30/2017 9:34 PM (#872195 - in reply to #872177)
Subject: Re: LOTW July 22 tp 29th Not great

We were on a different part of the lake I would call it the middle section for 4 1/2 days from the 20th to the 25th. We had a decent trip that could've been a great trip. We caught 15 to 49.5 with a 48.5 and a 48. But between nippers and fish acting weird in the eight and six or eight hooked and lost fish including one over 50 on the last night, like I say it was at least a decent trip. We hope to improve upon that next week
curleytail
Posted 7/31/2017 8:02 AM (#872220 - in reply to #872177)

Propster, did you see any special patterns that you'd be willing to share? I've been next to cabins that had several multiple fish days there while I struggled. Lots of variables out there!
Propster
Posted 7/31/2017 8:23 AM (#872222 - in reply to #872177)

Unfortunately no. Had to check everything- weeds, slop, saddles, rocks. Downed trees in the water often held fish. Smaller bucktails seemed better this trip. Only two on topwater again, though had one other hit. Couple on cranks. All over the board really.
tswoboda
Posted 7/31/2017 10:12 AM (#872230 - in reply to #872177)

A buddy and I made a quick trip to LOTW this weekend, got up there 8 PM Friday night and left Sunday early afternoon. It wasn't on fire but I wouldn't call it slow either, I'd say the bite was pretty average overall but the odd thing was it was either ON or OFF. Very dramatic and obvious windows where we'd get a ton of action for an hour or two and then not see a fish for 3 hours after that. Topwater had the most follows and bucktails got the most bites, 5 of 6 fish caught came in the eight. Like always, we had some come unpinned, had a couple nippers, and had a pile of fish that would chase like crazy at the boat but not commit. Always a fun time up there even if it's only for a day and a half.
MuskyMidget
Posted 7/31/2017 10:27 PM (#872389 - in reply to #872177)

We got there Saturday 22nd and left Saturday 29th. First cast of the trip my buddy had a good follow. We saw 3 fish on the first 2 spots. He caught a little on Saturday night. Sunday was what I would call average with each of us catching 41's and several follows. But the fish were doing weird things in the 8 like mentioned above.

Monday all the way until Friday morning was the dead sea. We had some follows here and there but it was tough. Really tough.

My buddy didn't have a follow until after 9 pm on Tuesday. And we rotate between the front and the back of the boat. We thought that was impossible on LOTW, but I can tell you it's surely possible.

Friday morning out of the blue I popped a 50 and he caught 4 muskies on Friday with the largest being 43. Mind you I had about 50 hours on fishing between my 41 on Sunday and the 50 on Friday morning!!!

Saturday morning before we left we moved 2 giants a couple times, but no bites.

A very weird week on LOTW, that is for sure. Even though we caught our fish on a bucktails, it was slow slow slow, I wouldn't call it a buck tail bite. I consider a buck tail bite when every fish you see comes charging in hard in the front of the boat. As silly as that sounds the back of the boat with slow moving top waters and cranks, moved more fish that bucktails in the front, but no eaters.