Finding fish on a new lake
T3clay
Posted 3/7/2017 4:06 AM (#852451)
Subject: Finding fish on a new lake

Hey everyone, looking forward to fishing a few new lakes this year. I dont have alot of experience fishing big lakes, ive only fished small sized WI lakes in the past but plan to start fishing some big MN water this summer. I have been searching, reading, and more reading this winter and have researched the lakes i plan to fish. So my question is when you fish a new body of water how do you use water temps to find a starting point? I know how to read a map and find points and humps and what not, and i could take the easy way out and post a question about where to fish during the timeframe i will be there. We all see the posts constantly " headed to vermillion where should i fish, how deep, what lures, what colors how fast, what time?" Thats not my intention.

I would just like to gain knowledge on how water temps affect the fish throughout the season and how you use water temps to your advantage. I would love to have weeks on end to find the fosh and follow them as the season progresses but i have atleast a 5hr drive to get to any of the big MN lakes.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me out!

Edited by T3clay 3/7/2017 4:07 AM
FlyPiker
Posted 3/7/2017 9:56 AM (#852488 - in reply to #852451)
Subject: Re: Finding fish on a new lake

Search "thermal considerations". Its a thread that was going around last year that had some great insights on that topic.
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 3/7/2017 10:57 AM (#852502 - in reply to #852451)

Sent you a PM
Zib
Posted 3/7/2017 11:21 AM (#852505 - in reply to #852451)

I'm planning on fishing a few new lakes this year for musky (late June) & I've been studying the lake maps to give me a starting point but once I'm there I'll be more concerned on where the baitfish is than I will about the water temp. I'll also be checking areas of current from the feeder creeks.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 3/7/2017 11:52 AM (#852511 - in reply to #852451)

Water temps are really only important to me in June, and then again when the tullibees spawn in late fall.

Consider trolling. Trolling is a great way to learn new water. You can move a little quicker, and keep an eye on the temps as you go. Along the way you will mark weeds, rocks and bait to come back and cast to. It's sounds pretty basic but it's the best way I know to really learn water fast. If you dedicate a day to trolling, you can start to put the puzzle together very quickly.

Edited by Masqui-ninja 3/7/2017 11:59 AM
T3clay
Posted 3/7/2017 12:32 PM (#852525 - in reply to #852451)

Thanks everyone, i know that water temp isnt everthing. I guess wim mostly looking for how do you go about.selecting spots to fish based on current conditions. For example when generally are reefs better than weeds.or vice versa. I know that.all lakes are differant and that there are no rules. Just a general idea. I like the trolling idea (evwn though i hate trolling) and will give that a shot. Thanks everyone for the ideas.
nar160
Posted 3/7/2017 12:35 PM (#852528 - in reply to #852451)

Not super experienced in this regard, but here is what I have used:

DNR website/office - what and how many fish are in the lake (net surveys, stocking info, catch info), water clarity, dissolved oxygen, weeds and invasives

Navionics web app - easy to use depth map that you can zoom in or out.

Google Earth - you can see what structures look like from above, bottom composition in shallow areas (sand, weeds, etc), locations with current, as well as practical stuff like boat ramps/parking

MI Lunge Log - see recent catches and historical catches. How deep, what cover, what time of the day? What are the trends as the season progresses? Does it change a lot year to year? Do you see anyone repeatedly - if so, what are they doing, and do they have a history on that lake?

This forum - do a search and see what comes up. No guarantees obviously but it can't hurt.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/7/2017 12:39 PM (#852529 - in reply to #852525)

One thing I've learned from trying new big water lakes is that it's not as hard as it seems. Basically, go try some reefs, then some weeds or points and let the fish tell you what to do.

Something that I like to consider when figuring out a pattern is the wind. If there is a good chop, I check reefs out right away. Usually reef fish are more active when there is bait and waves crashing around on them. If it's calm, I will try weedy spots first. Shoreline spots can be better in early season especially when the water isn't that warm yet. The sun will heat them up and charge up the fish. And there are almost always fish using weeds if nothing else pans out.

Another point - If you have a good community spot with fish on it, fish that first thing in the morning when everyone else is still sleeping.

Edited by Kirby Budrow 3/7/2017 12:43 PM
Zib
Posted 3/7/2017 1:33 PM (#852535 - in reply to #852525)

T3clay - 3/7/2017 1:32 PM For example when generally are reefs better than weeds.or vice versa. I know that.all lakes are differant and that there are no rules.

As a general rule weeds are better in the summer & reefs are better in the fall. But it's musky fishing so the rules get thrown out all the time.