Late winter/ pre spawn tactics?
Jkrauz80
Posted 3/5/2017 5:35 PM (#852249)
Subject: Late winter/ pre spawn tactics?

Plan on taking advantage of the warmer weather we're having in SE Michigan and making some casts this coming Saturday. I'm mainly going out to play with my new beast before next season opener but would definitely like to try to contact fish as well. I'll be fishing a lake Erie tributary that sees most muskie action during the spawn. There's also a dam and the reservoir above has been stocked although it's a relatively young population. They started in again in 2012, the last time before that was was in the 90's I believe. Anyways, does anybody fish this late in the season? I've searched online and within these forums but all I can find is relating to southern reservoirs and rivers. Should I try those same techniques? I'm fishing from shore but usually stick to the river but I also have plenty of shoreline access on the lake side of the dam and the water is deep. About 15' to 30'. Any advice is much appreciated.
Will Schultz
Posted 3/6/2017 7:52 AM (#852313 - in reply to #852249)
Subject: Re: Late winter/ pre spawn tactics?

Only 9 more days of the season, take advantage!

- 6-8" glider

- 6-8" suspending minnow bait

- suick

- rattle bait if shad present (they are below the dam)

Edited by Will Schultz 3/6/2017 7:54 AM
Jkrauz80
Posted 3/6/2017 10:35 AM (#852344 - in reply to #852313)
Subject: Re: Late winter/ pre spawn tactics?

Will Schultz - 3/6/2017 7:52 AM

Only 9 more days of the season, take advantage!

- 6-8" glider

- 6-8" suspending minnow bait

- suick

- rattle bait if shad present (they are below the dam)

Pretty much splurged on the HS beast to have better control of gliders and suicks in the current. Even in the slack water with little current can be tough properly fish certain baits.