The Hot Bait Meme
GOCmuskiesWV
Posted 1/22/2017 6:02 PM (#847119)
Subject: The Hot Bait Meme

I just got back from the Ohio Muskie show where Thorne Brothers had a booth and was selling Lake X surface lures. I bought a Fat Bastard and a Canon Ball Jr. I'm a surface bait junky and I couldn't resist the opportunity to add to my collection. When I left the show there were still quite a few of the Lake X lures that hadn't been purchased. I think the hype around these baits is probably beginning to die down. I heard one of the Thorne Brothers sales staff talking about how one of the vendors at the Chicago show was limiting sales of these baits to two per person. Furthermore, he said that there were people buying them, having them repainted, and selling them on the internet for $150 a pop. I laughed out loud. Out of curiosity I went on Ebay and looked up Lake X lures. I saw a few of these baits. One was priced at $102.00 and it had 17 bids on it. It left me scratching my head wondering why anybody would pay more than 3X the retail cost of a surface bait. It's a decent looking bait, but not remarkable in any way.

I saw this same phenomenon with a bucktail last year. Every vendor was completely sold out of them and they were commanding as much as $175 on the internet. I don't remember the name or maker of the bait, but it was a flashabou style bucktail. It was no different than any of the dozens of flashabou bucktails out on the market. To the best of my knowledge it wasn't sprinkled with magic dust that increased its fish catching ability ten fold.

I guess I'm just wondering why someone would pay enormously inflated prices for a bait that is not terribly different than numerous other baits of the same style, size, and construction that could be had for normal retail prices.
gtp888
Posted 1/22/2017 6:57 PM (#847129 - in reply to #847119)
Subject: RE: The Hot Bait Meme

See P.T. Barnum, that's why.  

NPike
Posted 1/22/2017 7:02 PM (#847131 - in reply to #847119)

I don't jump at new or difficult to find baits. There's so may time proven baits out there (Suicks, DDD's Grandma's, Hellhounds, jigs, Savages, etc., etc. that are readily available. The same goes for spinners. I usually wait to see how the newer baits fairs before I consider buying one. Also I get some custom painted baits and all they do is jump up the price by say 3 or 4 dollars.

I would never pay > $25 for any bait. There are just to may cost effective bait $(15 to 25) great baits out there.
Zib
Posted 1/22/2017 7:44 PM (#847136 - in reply to #847119)

Some people have a lot of disposable income that they need to get rid of before their wife finds it. People that pay these inflated prices must have it burned in their head that they can only catch fish with Brand X lures & not with Brand Y.
Bondy
Posted 1/22/2017 7:48 PM (#847137 - in reply to #847119)
Subject: Re: The Hot Bait Meme

Chatterbaits we're going for $100 on Ebay when they first came out...
muddymusky
Posted 1/22/2017 8:20 PM (#847138 - in reply to #847119)

Stuff is worth what people will pay.
Slamr
Posted 1/23/2017 9:44 AM (#847184 - in reply to #847138)

muddymusky - 1/22/2017 8:20 PM

That pretty much sums it up.
mm3
Posted 1/23/2017 10:31 AM (#847191 - in reply to #847138)

muddymusky - 1/22/2017 8:20 PM

Maybe it's worth it if you are impatient or in a hurry for it (really need it for a trip or something). Just like a premium you would pay for something like shipping. However, its not worth it if you can wait because you can get that same bait for less than half the cost by researching, calling around, waiting list, waiting for shows, restocking etc.