Who actually "obeys" the lure weight recommendation on your rod
Musky_Mo16
Posted 1/13/2017 11:36 PM (#846068)
Subject: Who actually "obeys" the lure weight recommendation on your rod

I never really knew how much magnum bulldawgs weighed until I just recently looked at them on the musky shop website. The magnum bulldawg apparently weighs 8oz. I have one rod that the "recommended lure weight" is 2-6 oz. I'm new to musky fishing and this rod I have been using more for pike than Muskie. But anyway, I am able to throw lures as light as 1oz and I've even strapped on a husky medussa (which easily weighs more than the mag bulldawg) and have thrown it without a problem. I was wondering what you guys think about this, do you guys also push your rods a little further than their "recommended lure weight"? I'm specifically talking about musky rods because With my bass rods I wouldn't even go 1oz over the rating let alone 4,5,+. It just seems like with the Muskie rods obeying the lure rating is MUCH LESS important. Just give my your opinions on this and if you guys ever do it too. I mostly do it because I don't musky fish that much, like I said it's more of a pike rod, and I just can't bring myself to buy a ton of rods for something that I'm only lucky enough to do 4 or 5 times a year. What do you guys think/do.

Edited by Musky_Mo16 1/13/2017 11:37 PM
25homes
Posted 1/14/2017 9:00 AM (#846095 - in reply to #846068)
Subject: Re: Who actually "obeys" the lure weight recommendation on your rod

Well in this instance if you look at st croix the use to rate one rod at 2-6oz didnt change rod at all but changed rating to 3-8oz so I think they go conservative..think also depends how much you throwing dont think I would make that a dedicated mag or pounder rod but can it handle to extend Im sure....i was curious to same question to cause Bigdog st croix is their pounder rod and it only rated to 12oz and obviously a pounder heavier than that so this confuses me to extend too....This why I am having Thorn Bros build me a custom pounder Rod...
Jeremy
Posted 1/14/2017 12:03 PM (#846120 - in reply to #846068)

Matt, not bad query at all!! Imho and it is "humble"...you can use the ref. of the rod as a basic "conservative" suggestion. It's always a good idea to follow the makers guideline but I've found that if I'm careful on the cast, meaning I don't need to really "snap" a cast out, rather "heave" it a bit you can go heavier than the rod suggests.

Common sense plays a big role here. You'll feel what a rod will allow!!
danlaboucane
Posted 1/14/2017 1:17 PM (#846126 - in reply to #846068)

a st-croix rep told me you can go heavyer no problem and i agree with my st-croix i did , up to 3.5 OZ over without probems. and a pounder is supposed to be 13 OZ.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 1/14/2017 1:43 PM (#846133 - in reply to #846068)

Thank you for your feedback! I just wanted to make I wasn't causing to much of a oribalem with the rod because I mostly do throw smaller baits but I do like to throw the occasional mag dawg.
NPike
Posted 1/15/2017 10:14 AM (#846241 - in reply to #846133)

My rods are rated 1/2-1 OZ to 3 OZ which is great for most spinners, DDD's, DD's DepthRaider's, Savages, Rapalas, etc. Baits between 3/4 oz. and 3.6 OZ (more towards the upper end). After that the rod doesn't feel right bows to much on the cast and it seems I lose the ability to make an accurate cast. I was told by St. Croix not to exceed the rated limit by more than 10% and not to cast 4 OZ baits. Called x2

Pls ignore duplicate post
NPike
Posted 1/15/2017 10:16 AM (#846242 - in reply to #846133)

My rods are rated 1/2-1 OZ to 3 OZ which is great for most spinners, DDD's, DD's DepthRaider's, Savages, Rapalas, etc. Baits between 3/4 oz. and 3.6 OZ (more towards the upper end). After that the rod doesn't feel right bows to much on the cast and it seems I lose the ability to make an accurate cast. I was told by St. Croix not to exceed the rated limit by more than 10% and not to cast 4 OZ baits. Called x2
danlaboucane
Posted 1/15/2017 10:27 AM (#846243 - in reply to #846068)

yes too much is too much ! what i meant is depending on the rod you can do it ! my heaviest rod now is a mojo heavy rated 2-6 oz and casted a 9.5 oz bait easely with it . and i had a big dawg 4-12 OZ and found it too stiff for me with 9.5 oZ baits (heaviest baits i own ).
NPike
Posted 1/15/2017 10:58 AM (#846249 - in reply to #846243)

danlaboucane - 1/15/2017 11:27 AM

yes too much is too much ! what i meant is depending on the rod you can do it ! my heaviest rod now is a mojo heavy rated 2-6 oz and casted a 9.5 oz bait easely with it . and i had a big dawg 4-12 OZ and found it too stiff for me with 9.5 oZ baits (heaviest baits i own ).

It does vary on the rod. I cast 1.5 OZ bait with a 1 OZ rod for pike for years never had a problem. However Bass Pro the manufacturer advised against it.
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/15/2017 11:07 AM (#846251 - in reply to #846068)

Tackle Industries rods are rated for the "sweet" spot for casting. I have one guide who loves my 2pc 9' MH rod (1-4oz rated) for throwing pounders. He just takes the lure back and when he feels the lure coming forward he follows through with a gentle cast and he states he can cast further with the MH rod vs a dedicated pounder rod. Lots to do with how you cast. If you snap cast a MH rod with a pounder on it you will break the rod sooner or later. Let the rod do the work for you and you will work a lot less...
NPike
Posted 1/15/2017 12:24 PM (#846260 - in reply to #846251)

Tackle Industries - 1/15/2017 12:07 PM
If you snap cast a MH rod with a pounder on it you will break the rod sooner or later. Let the rod do the work for you and you will work a lot less...

Sorry to sound ignorant but I never heard the term snap cast. What is a snap cast?
Thx.
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/15/2017 1:38 PM (#846264 - in reply to #846260)

NPike - 1/15/2017 12:24 PM

If you snap cast a MH rod with a pounder on it you will break the rod sooner or later. Let the rod do the work for you and you will work a lot less...

Sorry to sound ignorant but I never heard the term snap cast. What is a snap cast?
Thx.

Home run swing, back and forth really fast while casting, etc... in short you are not letting the rod blank load up properly and the rod will load up unevenly and after time, it may break. Another good way to break a rod is to grab it about half way up when netting a fish. Seen this many many times.
Jeremy
Posted 1/15/2017 7:25 PM (#846292 - in reply to #846251)

Tackle Industries - 1/15/2017 11:07 AM

Tackle Industries rods are rated for the "sweet" spot for casting. I have one guide who loves my 2pc 9' MH rod (1-4oz rated) for throwing pounders. He just takes the lure back and when he feels the lure coming forward he follows through with a gentle cast and he states he can cast further with the MH rod vs a dedicated pounder rod. Lots to do with how you cast. If you snap cast a MH rod with a pounder on it you will break the rod sooner or later. Let the rod do the work for you and you will work a lot less...

This is exactly what makes a fly rod work so nicely. Let that rod do the work for you...
I can just feel it when I read your post!!
tolle141
Posted 1/15/2017 9:59 PM (#846318 - in reply to #846260)

NPike - 1/15/2017 12:24 PM

Thx.

Think "punching" a bait out there. With rubber a good way to cast is to let out a couple feet of line and lob it out there.

I find the ratings are a sweet spot. Deviate from them and you'll probably blow it up eventually.
SummerSchool
Posted 1/16/2017 6:41 PM (#846416 - in reply to #846068)

I was wondering the same thing, most economy XH rods are limited to 10oz. I'd like to be comfortable getting one, but not scared that a pounder is going to snap it.
25homes
Posted 1/17/2017 9:33 AM (#846453 - in reply to #846068)

SO a Rod Rated at 12oz really should have no issue handling a 13oz pounder especially a St Croix or Preadtor (st. croix i kno) ...given the fact that if Im throwing a pounder on rod like this will only do this for 40-60min max and im done casting that huge thing..