Fat Bastard
btfish
Posted 1/12/2017 5:05 PM (#845855)
Subject: Fat Bastard

I honestly don't like the name of this lure so I will call it a FB. But does anyone know how I can get one? Rollie and Helen's will not take any orders because they have no commitment of when they will get them. I am not able to attend the shows. I get ZERO response to E-mails or Facebook at Lake X which to me is very poor. I have a hard time paying $80 for a muskie lure, it's probably a principle thing for me.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Brad

Stay warm and have a good day.
NathanH
Posted 1/12/2017 5:12 PM (#845856 - in reply to #845855)
Subject: RE: Fat Bastard

Wait for retails to get them maybe a buddy can pick one up at a show. There will be plenty of stock this year I'm sure after the shows Thorne and the musky shop and Rosses will have plenty. I just got to from the musky shop seem like a nice lure but I wouldn't pay over retail. Lots of other options.
tolle141
Posted 1/12/2017 6:29 PM (#845863 - in reply to #845855)
Subject: Re: Fat Bastard

Hype kind of seems to be fading a bit. Just hold out. First day of the shows, go into stores, or post in the BST section.

Alternatively I'd check out the big mama twisted sist'r
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 1/12/2017 10:26 PM (#845903 - in reply to #845855)

Option 1 ) trade a desirable bait on the BST
Option 2 ) pre-order somewhere
Option 3 ) pay the big bucks

For what it's worth I have a FB and a dr evil and my pacemakers move more fish. Something about that tick tick tick.
miket55
Posted 1/13/2017 3:28 AM (#845913 - in reply to #845855)

They had some left at the Chicago show on Sunday... perhaps the hype is subsiding..
tkuntz
Posted 1/13/2017 6:29 AM (#845921 - in reply to #845855)

While I do own a CBJ and a FB, I'm still convinced that topwaters, along with ALL muskie lures are self fulfilling prophecies. A bait you have confidence in will therefore be used most often, therefore it will show/catch more fish, therefore you will be more confident in it, therefore it will get used more, repeat.
MartinTD
Posted 1/13/2017 6:47 AM (#845923 - in reply to #845855)

Get yourself a TopRaider and forget about the FB.
mnmusky
Posted 1/13/2017 7:08 AM (#845925 - in reply to #845855)

Any bait that goes viral, is already past its prime effectiveness.
Muskie Gal
Posted 1/13/2017 7:13 AM (#845926 - in reply to #845925)

If you want one that badly, pay 70-80 on ebay. It will still be cheaper than going out of your way to attend a show with admission & gas.
John at Ross's
Posted 1/13/2017 7:31 AM (#845928 - in reply to #845923)

The demand is not going down, Lake X has a new shop and they have been working long days 7 days a week getting baits out. They had more then they have ever brought to any show in Chicago, Baits were available in the Lake X Booth, Team Rhino Booth and Thorne Brothers Booth. A Stupid amount of Lake X was sold there. As far as the email thing goes, I'm one of Lake X's dealers and I get thousands of emails, pms, and calls a week on lake x myself. I can't even begin to imagine how many he gets. I can't even answer all of the questions that I get. John K is a really good guy who wants to help everyone out but is just spread way to thin right now. If you want to see more baits out there just let him work. I am really confident that if you just wait there will be all kinds of Lake X at the retailers by spring.
talmooner
Posted 1/13/2017 8:23 AM (#845933 - in reply to #845855)

Check out Blue Ribbon Baits

Looks like they may have some based on the site info.

http://blueribbonbait.com/shop/musky-tackle/topwater/lake-x-lures-f...

Talmooner

muskyroller
Posted 1/13/2017 8:49 AM (#845938 - in reply to #845933)

talmooner - 1/13/2017 8:23 AM

Check out Blue Ribbon Baits

Looks like they may have some based on the site info.

http://blueribbonbait.com/shop/musky-tackle/topwater/lake-x-lures-f...

Talmooner

Nope...go and click on what you might want and you get the "Out of Stock." I was in two weeks ago and talked with Josh and he said he did not know when he would have any in stock and when he does they'd be gone within a couple days.
danlaboucane
Posted 1/13/2017 8:54 AM (#845940 - in reply to #845855)

last year i contacted him on his facebook page with a question and he responded and ansewred a question and was helpful so be patient .
Dirt Esox
Posted 1/13/2017 9:00 AM (#845941 - in reply to #845940)

Had the opposite experience last year. Never replied to any of my emails. The whole thing is annoying.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/13/2017 9:17 AM (#845945 - in reply to #845855)

I've had plenty of action on a Psycho Sister, which is comparable. I don't own a FB, but I do own a cannon ball jr. I like the bait but honestly, I find myself throwing a Klack over any prop bait unless I need to go slow, in which case I throw a flaptail or hawg wobbler. Lot's of great topwater baits out there that don't cost an arm and a leg. Maybe just an arm or a hand. I know the FB and Cannon Balls do a lot of fish catching though.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 1/13/2017 9:23 AM (#845946 - in reply to #845945)

Kirby Budrow - 1/13/2017 10:17 AM

I've had plenty of action on a Psycho Sister, which is comparable. I don't own a FB, but I do own a cannon ball jr. I like the bait but honestly, I find myself throwing a Klack over any prop bait unless I need to go slow, in which case I throw a flaptail or hawg wobbler. Lot's of great topwater baits out there that don't cost an arm and a leg. Maybe just an arm or a hand. I know the FB and Cannon Balls do a lot of fish catching though.

I know your a bigtooth man and all but I find the Klack very annoying to fish. At least the one I have anyways takes a couple feet to get it on top, and I'm starting it a half second before it hits the water lol.. and I have to keep my rod tip up for it to stay in the sweet spot. I wouldn't be without my juice spinnerbaits tho.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/13/2017 9:43 AM (#845948 - in reply to #845946)

JakeStCroixSkis - 1/13/2017 9:23 AM

I know your a bigtooth man and all but I find the Klack very annoying to fish. At least the one I have anyways takes a couple feet to get it on top, and I'm starting it a half second before it hits the water lol.. and I have to keep my rod tip up for it to stay in the sweet spot. I wouldn't be without my juice spinnerbaits tho.

I had the same problem initially. To be honest, I hated the bait when it first came out. I actually made the first prototypes for Jeff Anderson. The one that you see in In-Fisherman catching a 54...that was the first one I tied up. I couldn't believe it actually worked! That's my claim to fame! Lol. But that's a horn tooting tangent.

There are a few things to try to make this bait work better. First is to cup the blade a little more. That makes it ride higher. Second is having a 9' rod or better. Most people have this anyway. 3rd is a high speed reel. And the last thing is having a line that doesn't collect much water. I find that the Revo Beast, paired with a heavy action 9'er and 80lb powerpro slick works perfect. Also, I use 180lb flouro Thorne Bros leaders. The bait isn't for everybody. I will admit that. And it's high maintenance with a lot of tuning during the day. But last year I had so much action on it that it became my go-to bait from August through September.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 1/13/2017 10:16 AM (#845954 - in reply to #845948)

Kirby Budrow - 1/13/2017 10:43 AM

I had the same problem initially. To be honest, I hated the bait when it first came out. I actually made the first prototypes for Jeff Anderson. The one that you see in In-Fisherman catching a 54...that was the first one I tied up. I couldn't believe it actually worked! That's my claim to fame! Lol. But that's a horn tooting tangent.

There are a few things to try to make this bait work better. First is to cup the blade a little more. That makes it ride higher. Second is having a 9' rod or better. Most people have this anyway. 3rd is a high speed reel. And the last thing is having a line that doesn't collect much water. I find that the Revo Beast, paired with a heavy action 9'er and 80lb powerpro slick works perfect. Also, I use 180lb flouro Thorne Bros leaders. The bait isn't for everybody. I will admit that. And it's high maintenance with a lot of tuning during the day. But last year I had so much action on it that it became my go-to bait from August through September.

I moved fish on it for sure, and it's a loud SOB. But a High maintenance bait that doesn't cast into the wind well(in my experience). I still keep mine with me because it's something different for the fish. And that tick tick tick I am a firm believer in this. I have moved more fish on a pacemaker then any other surface bait and I chalk it up to the tick tick tick.

I admit I have only tried the small one for fishing the st Lawrence river tributaries (smaller rivers) but how do you stack the performance of the larger up against the smaller??
Schultz345
Posted 1/13/2017 11:29 AM (#845973 - in reply to #845855)

I thought it was all hype too and stuck to my big mamas until I got a cbjr and fb early fall. Let's just say I won't be throwing other topwaters in 2017.
RunNGun
Posted 1/13/2017 11:56 AM (#845984 - in reply to #845973)

Schultz345 - 1/13/2017 11:29 AM

I thought it was all hype too and stuck to my big mamas until I got a cbjr and fb early fall. Let's just say I won't be throwing other topwaters in 2017.

^^Same - never seen fish attack a topwater like they do with a FB.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/13/2017 1:15 PM (#845999 - in reply to #845954)

JakeStCroixSkis - 1/13/2017 10:16 AM

Kirby Budrow - 1/13/2017 10:43 AM

I moved fish on it for sure, and it's a loud SOB. But a High maintenance bait that doesn't cast into the wind well(in my experience). I still keep mine with me because it's something different for the fish. And that tick tick tick I am a firm believer in this. I have moved more fish on a pacemaker then any other surface bait and I chalk it up to the tick tick tick.

I admit I have only tried the small one for fishing the st Lawrence river tributaries (smaller rivers) but how do you stack the performance of the larger up against the smaller??

I actually use the larger one primarily, so that could be the difference. The 2 treble hooks work better for me because I am not fishing the bullrushes and weeds as much. But that's a tool for a lot of people around MN waters when the fish move super shallow. I personally don't have as much of a need for the smaller weedless one.