New Muskie Fisherman Lure Help
kamrynhalverson
Posted 12/28/2016 5:02 PM (#844361)
Subject: New Muskie Fisherman Lure Help

This was my first year muskie fishing and i didn't get one yet so i wanted to stock up on more lures and more knowledge over the off season! so i was wondering what lures you would recommend to someone who is just starting out? note: i am 17 and i live in Minnesota. thanks for your help!
7ovr50
Posted 12/28/2016 5:43 PM (#844370 - in reply to #844361)
Subject: Re: New Muskie Fisherman Lure Help

1 or two of each
9-10 in dive and rise jerk bait
6-8 in glide baits
6 in buck tails
double 8s
tail spin top water
6-8in. crank baits
Have faith in the established baits others have been using for years. They are winners and great starter baits. Time on the water and teaming up with a musky veteran are the best teachers. Remember there are no magic baits.
Davis23
Posted 12/28/2016 7:03 PM (#844387 - in reply to #844361)

My recondition is to find a lot either hear or Craigslist try and find 20 or so lure to get a verity of lures don't worry about name brand lures just a few different styles. If you already have a bit of lures and just looking for additions the easiest lures to work are prop style top waters like a top raider and bucktails and spinnerbaits are your next bet. Like the other reply you are going to want to learn how to use glide baits and dive rise baits. Other ones that are must haves are bulldogs and medusas. You will save money if you can find a package somewhere. Also musky fleet market is another spot to look.
ajrod88
Posted 12/28/2016 8:32 PM (#844402 - in reply to #844387)

+1 on the dussas and dawgs. And they don't need to be pounders either! Start with smaller ones.
Davis23
Posted 12/28/2016 10:22 PM (#844418 - in reply to #844361)

Also worth a note get good quality reels if you are serious about getting into musky fishing. Reels are probably the most important thing and you have to understand that what reels you have will determine what you can throw comfortably. So make sure you look at the reels because if you have cheep reels you can burn them out in a heart beat. Also it is very tiring to pull resistance baits with a high gear high line retrieve reel.
Mdamp104
Posted 12/29/2016 7:10 AM (#844430 - in reply to #844361)

Learning muskie patterns and structures of the lakes you fish and and the food base is the first step. After this then you can concentrate on what type of lures to buy, but most important is learning muskie patterns.
Ranger Rick
Posted 12/29/2016 3:15 PM (#844486 - in reply to #844361)

If you can afford it, hire a guide on waters you will likly fish next fall. (Remind mom or dad a trip is a great b day present).Your learning curve will be sped up greatly
Ranger Rick
Posted 12/29/2016 4:24 PM (#844493 - in reply to #844361)

Also, swap meet at O'garas on Saturday of mn. Muskie expo is a good place for cheap baits
Davis23
Posted 12/29/2016 6:02 PM (#844501 - in reply to #844361)

Great idea ranger Rick. It also helps if you tell the guide that you hope to catch a fish but the main thing is that you want to learn. Guide will put people on fish and say hear cast this but if you tell them that you want to learn they will say this is why fish like this spot and this is why I have you throwing this lure.
kevinj
Posted 12/29/2016 6:26 PM (#844505 - in reply to #844501)

"Great idea ranger Rick. It also helps if you tell the guide that you hope to catch a fish but the main thing is that you want to learn. Guide will put people on fish and say hear cast this but if you tell them that you want to learn they will say this is why fish like this spot and this is why I have you throwing this lure."

More good info here, I know it maybe hard to listen and comprehend the little nuggets of info instead of just buying WHAT YOU NEED.
I can take you out on lakes in my region and we could throw three lures and catch fish, big fish. Three weeks later you will not be able to fish the same area let alone use that lure. There are seasonal patterns that work but skills are where you need to focus not lures or the latest fade. you should develop skills that will help you anytime and anywhere, those can not be bought.
Feel free to PM me, I have way too many lures already and I learned a lot the hard way
KevinJ