some input on new boat
spoonpluggergino
Posted 9/23/2016 9:04 AM (#831151)
Subject: some input on new boat

I am going to buy a new boat, selling my 2095 BT Yar-Craft tiller, just last week on the LOTW saw a Larson tiller boat and it's really a sweet rig, but also I like the new redesigned Yar-Craft boat, by looking at the brochure and videos seems like the back deck right side starboard not enough room in the rear to stand to cast for muskie , but the Larson has a huge casting deck front and back, right now I am leaning toward the FX2020 Larson tiller with a 200 Verado and here is my second dilemma I never had a Mercury motor, I have had a 60 hp Suzuki and now I have 150 Yamaha both 4 stroke and both motors I loved them, never a problem. The Larson dealer has the FX set up with a 200 Verado, they could install a 200 Yamaha, but they are not certified to service my warranty, most likely I could get a Yamaha dealer to service the motor
so here is my choice
200 HP Verado serviced by the Larson dealer
200 HP Yamaha serviced by another dealer certified by Yamaha
The only thing I need to verify is that the Larson boat has room for 9 foot rods, I know the Yar-Craft does
Thanks Gino
Fishysam
Posted 9/24/2016 12:51 AM (#831241 - in reply to #831151)
Subject: Re: some input on new boat

Well I have noticed Larson as well. Look good to me. But last year when I was sopping around with merc dealers. They all were insisting on L6 verodos over the four cylinder. Some analogy like 200hp peaked out on performance vs 200hp tuned lame on the same block as a 350hp makes for more reliable and bullet proof. Anyways if you want to check this one out here is a link http://touch.bismanonline.com/2013_larson_fx2020t
Mudpuppy
Posted 10/9/2016 9:03 AM (#832711 - in reply to #831241)

Go with Yamaha always......nuff said

Mudpup
Zib
Posted 10/10/2016 8:31 PM (#832927 - in reply to #831151)
Subject: RE: some input on new boat

Are you getting the new boat before your LSC trip?

I might be interested in buying your Yar-Craft.

Lundbob
Posted 10/11/2016 8:27 AM (#832957 - in reply to #831151)

I wouldn't buy a boat\motor from 1 dealer and expect a different dealer to service it. Yes they will\have to but that doesn't mean your even close to their highest priority. Go to bbcboards.net and there are many threads about this. Lots of nightmare stories. Guys have had boats sit for weeks during peak season.
Zib
Posted 10/11/2016 7:24 PM (#833051 - in reply to #831151)
Subject: RE: some input on new boat

spoonpluggergino - 9/23/2016 10:04 AM
The only thing I need to verify is that the Larson boat has room for 9 foot rods, I know the Yar-Craft does
Thanks Gino

According to the specs on their website the port side holds 4 9' rods & the starboard side holds 4 10' rods.
Further North
Posted 10/22/2016 12:52 PM (#834382 - in reply to #832957)

Lundbob - 10/11/2016 8:27 AM

I wouldn't buy a boat\motor from 1 dealer and expect a different dealer to service it. Yes they will\have to but that doesn't mean your even close to their highest priority. Go to bbcboards.net and there are many threads about this. Lots of nightmare stories. Guys have had boats sit for weeks during peak season.

I've been hearing this in one form or another for decades...about cars, trucks, boats...you name it...and have never, ever found it to be true. I buy virtually everything used, often from private parties hours from where I live, then have it serviced by local dealerships. Never run into any kind of problem, with one small exception, which I resolved as follows...

If a dealer is dealing in a product, they are most often bound by contract to service the product, regardless of where it was purchased. Should a consumer run into an issue where they think they are being given the runaround, a quick call the the company and a discussion with the right people gets the ball rolling. Every dealer of nationally sold brands touts the "national network" of places to get your product serviced...call their bluff...

Another thing: Dealers love service work. Very profitable. Why would they refuse it? It's easy money and jerking a customer around in the days of the internet is just stupid...

Were this true, if your car/truck/boat/outboard broke down on vacation, you'd have to have it towed home to get it fixed in a reasonable amount of time...that's just silly...

Edited by Further North 10/22/2016 12:54 PM
Randy
Posted 10/30/2016 5:04 PM (#835087 - in reply to #834382)

Further North - 10/22/2016 12:52 PM

Lundbob - 10/11/2016 8:27 AM

I've been hearing this in one form or another for decades...about cars, trucks, boats...you name it...and have never, ever found it to be true. I buy virtually everything used, often from private parties hours from where I live, then have it serviced by local dealerships. Never run into any kind of problem, with one small exception, which I resolved as follows...

If a dealer is dealing in a product, they are most often bound by contract to service the product, regardless of where it was purchased. Should a consumer run into an issue where they think they are being given the runaround, a quick call the the company and a discussion with the right people gets the ball rolling. Every dealer of nationally sold brands touts the "national network" of places to get your product serviced...call their bluff...

Another thing: Dealers love service work. Very profitable. Why would they refuse it? It's easy money and jerking a customer around in the days of the internet is just stupid...

Were this true, if your car/truck/boat/outboard broke down on vacation, you'd have to have it towed home to get it fixed in a reasonable amount of time...that's just silly...
I believe what he is saying is, if you buy a boat from a dealer and something g goes wrong, they want to make it right. So, they will often put you to the top of the list to keep you as a future potential buyer. I personally have witnessed both sides of this. My new boat with issues was made a priority. My used boat, when I got rearended, took almost 3 weeks to get fixed. Not good timing at the end of may, beginning of June.
Wimuskyfisherman
Posted 10/31/2016 7:06 PM (#835230 - in reply to #835087)

I bought my truck from one dealer and had it serviced at the dealer nearest my job. After I took it there for warranty work once, they were almost begging for my business. I agree they love the warranty work!
kevinj
Posted 10/31/2016 7:21 PM (#835232 - in reply to #835230)

Wimuskyfisherman - 10/31/2016 7:06 PM

I bought my truck from one dealer and had it serviced at the dealer nearest my job. After I took it there for warranty work once, they were almost begging for my business. I agree they love the warranty work!
'

plus 1
winchesterjack
Posted 11/1/2016 12:47 PM (#835326 - in reply to #831151)

Yamaha doesn't offer hydraulic tiller assist, so not sure how the Yamaha would work in the 200 tiller on a Larson. They work for Warrior with their system.