Outboard motor covers
tomcat
Posted 9/14/2016 2:29 PM (#830427)
Subject: Outboard motor covers

Does anyone have a favorite brand or maker of outboard motor covers?
I'm not looking for a vented cover just for the cowling while fishing. i'm looking for a full, zipper cover for storage and trailering (from top to prop)
thanks
TC.
Slamr
Posted 9/15/2016 9:40 AM (#830469 - in reply to #830427)
Subject: Re: Outboard motor covers

This is NOT meant to be a snotty response, because I really don't know the answer: what is the benefit of a outboard motor cover?
tomcat
Posted 9/15/2016 10:22 AM (#830476 - in reply to #830427)

my new boat, Skeeter WX 2190, does not fit in my garage like my old boat. So, i have to park it under my carport. Well, part of the outboards stick out from the back of the carport roof, and i just want to protect them from the sun, rain, bugs, snow, debris..etc.. I dont really want bees building a nets in my propellers. I dont like my motors to have bird crap on them when i get to the lake..i dont like water spots, dust and dirt collecting on my motors. I ordered two today. full zipper. full covers from cowling to props. I wipe my boat and motors down when i put them away for the week, and when i get back to the lake, i just want my rigs looks as good as when i put them away.. Just like a boat cover. keep it clean and protect it from mother nature all her inhabitants. (spiders, birds, bees, rain..etc). Benefit: keeps motors looking new, for sell value. Also, makes me feel better when my boat is clean and i also install a white mooring/anchor light on the top of my cowling so i dont have to use my light pole (wired directly to my navigation light switch) and i want to keep that protected, even though it's made to withstand the elements of being outside 365 days a year.
I know you are not being snotty. But those are the benefits for me. others might not care about that care about that stuff, so wouldnt be beneficial to them.
jonnysled
Posted 9/15/2016 10:43 AM (#830478 - in reply to #830476)

not to hijack, but can you show a picture of the cowl light? was it easy install, how do you like it??
tomcat
Posted 9/15/2016 10:55 AM (#830480 - in reply to #830427)

i LOVE the cowl light. super awesome. totally legal too. i was checked by the coat guard. I was turned on to these when tarpon fishing in the Puerto Rico about 6 years ago. I had one on my last boat too. I can only asume it's easy to install, because when i had my marina install it, they charged less than 1 hour of labor to do it. i did not install it myself.
i dont have a picture of mine. just looked through my phone.
mine are NOT like this one:
https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=cowling...

mine is kind of like this one: (kind of..., not exact)
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/attwood--5500-series-led-all-round-wa...

you dont want one that sticks up into the air. My entire light is only 2.5 inches tall. mabye 3.
Fishysam
Posted 9/15/2016 11:04 AM (#830483 - in reply to #830480)

That may be subject to who checks the boat. If your sitting down it is legal in my eyes but if you stand up and it's lower than you, you can block the view. In my neck of the woods it must be the highest part as to ensure a 360 visibility. If I still had a tallon I would totally put this on top of it. But now I have power poles. I'm not not saying I don't like it just pointing out a possible issue. Sorry on the thread hijack.
Slamr
Posted 9/15/2016 11:26 AM (#830486 - in reply to #830427)

Thanks for the info. Makes total sense.
partlycloudy
Posted 9/15/2016 1:29 PM (#830504 - in reply to #830427)
Subject: RE: Outboard motor covers

Attwood makes full motor covers for Mercury motors, very good quality, there the ones in the Merc catalog. Both Attwood and Carver make plain gray motor hoods that don't cover entire motor. Any marine dealer can get these for you. Bill
Paul S
Posted 9/15/2016 6:12 PM (#830524 - in reply to #830483)

Fishysam - 9/15/2016 11:04 AM

That may be subject to who checks the boat. If your sitting down it is legal in my eyes but if you stand up and it's lower than you, you can block the view. In my neck of the woods it must be the highest part as to ensure a 360 visibility. If I still had a tallon I would totally put this on top of it. But now I have power poles. I'm not not saying I don't like it just pointing out a possible issue. Sorry on the thread hijack.

I was checked by the Coast Guard recently and I asked about putting my navigation light on top of my Talon. He said it would be acceptable. It would be nice not to carry that pole.
DonPursch
Posted 9/15/2016 7:45 PM (#830532 - in reply to #830427)
Subject: RE: Outboard motor covers

You can also get a cover that has a solar panel on it and charge your battery's at the same time great idea
scmuskies
Posted 9/16/2016 11:58 AM (#830577 - in reply to #830483)

Fishysam - 9/15/2016 11:04 AM

The white light must be at least 1.0 meter (3.3 ft) above the red/green lights

Page 28 here: http://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF
gregk9
Posted 9/16/2016 8:48 PM (#830608 - in reply to #830469)

Slamr - 9/15/2016 9:40 AM

This is NOT meant to be a snotty response, because I really don't know the answer: what is the benefit of a outboard motor cover?

What tomcat said plus the sun will bake your decals in time...