Muskie Fishing in the Chicago area
travelingfisherman
Posted 9/8/2016 4:59 PM (#829824)
Subject: Muskie Fishing in the Chicago area

Hello everyone. My name is Angel and I am going to visit the Chicago area in the end of October of this year. I am from Florida and always wanted to fish up north, so I am looking towards to fishing in the State of Illinois. I am going to be in the Chicago area for 3 days and will have a car, so I am willing to make a drive for a decent chance at catching my first muskie or first northern pike. Any help that you guys can give me on locations to fish for muskies on shore close to Chicago and muskie fishing tactics will be appreciated. I will return the favor and take anyone that helps me fishing in the Miami area.
OnceBit
Posted 9/8/2016 6:03 PM (#829827 - in reply to #829824)
Subject: RE: Muskie Fishing in the Chicago area

Check out lake Shabbona in Dekalb county just west of Chicago. That time of the year offers great opportunities at catching muskies by shore. Seek out the central to northwest side of the lake for casting from shore. There is a handicap pier located right on a steep edge off the main channel. You can hang a sucker from a float while you cast around. Check out their website for more information.
fish4musky1
Posted 9/8/2016 6:16 PM (#829829 - in reply to #829824)
Subject: Re: Muskie Fishing in the Chicago area

Drive 2 hours to Pewaukee lake in southern Wisconsin. You can rent a boat/motor at smokeys for around $50 I think. I used to do that when I was in college and caught fish.

Edited by fish4musky1 9/8/2016 6:22 PM
kdawg
Posted 9/9/2016 9:29 AM (#829895 - in reply to #829829)

From shore, three places come to mind. The fox river about an hrs. drive west has numerous dams you could try from shore. Also look at Mallard lake in northern dupage county and busse woods in cook county. Both forest preserve lakes with shore fishing possibilities. As for tactics, if you do any big bas fishing in Florida, try some of those same tactics up here. Kdawg
travelingfisherman
Posted 9/9/2016 2:29 PM (#829949 - in reply to #829827)

OnceBit - 9/8/2016 6:03 PM

Check out lake Shabbona in Dekalb county just west of Chicago. That time of the year offers great opportunities at catching muskies by shore. Seek out the central to northwest side of the lake for casting from shore. There is a handicap pier located right on a steep edge off the main channel. You can hang a sucker from a float while you cast around. Check out their website for more information.

I have read lots of good reports on Lake Shabbona for Muskie, thank you for suggesting it. How do you catch the sucker fish and what size do you recommend? I have never fished up north so it will be a new experience for me to catch many of these fish.
travelingfisherman
Posted 9/9/2016 2:31 PM (#829950 - in reply to #829829)

fish4musky1 - 9/8/2016 6:16 PM

Drive 2 hours to Pewaukee lake in southern Wisconsin. You can rent a boat/motor at smokeys for around $50 I think. I used to do that when I was in college and caught fish.

Thank you for suggesting Lake Pewaukee, I researched it and its a good lake for Muskie. Its a little further than I would like to drive so I might stay within 1.5 hours of Chicago.
travelingfisherman
Posted 9/9/2016 2:36 PM (#829951 - in reply to #829895)

kdawg - 9/9/2016 9:29 AM

From shore, three places come to mind. The fox river about an hrs. drive west has numerous dams you could try from shore. Also look at Mallard lake in northern dupage county and busse woods in cook county. Both forest preserve lakes with shore fishing possibilities. As for tactics, if you do any big bas fishing in Florida, try some of those same tactics up here. Kdawg

Thank you for suggesting these areas, which one would you recommend the most for a new muskie fisherman? I will be happy with any size muskie or northern pike I can catch. I am going to bring some of the lures I use to catch big bas to try out for muskie and northern pike, and I will consider buying new lures when I am visiting since I am sure muskie lures will work well down here for big bas.
OnceBit
Posted 9/9/2016 7:45 PM (#829995 - in reply to #829949)

There is a bait shop inside the park, contact them to check availability. A 12-15" sucker will be fine. You would be better off hiring a guide for a day since your stay is so short. A guide will provide all the necessary gear and put you on fish. This will cut the learning curve greatly and up your odds on catching a muskie. Muskies can be very elusive. The bait shop can suggest a guide.
ToddM
Posted 9/9/2016 8:44 PM (#830006 - in reply to #829824)

If you fish shabbona with a sucker know there are alot of cribs and trees and the suckers will swim right into them. Better off with a circle hook there. Its a state park so there are good facilities. No pike in shabbona though.

The fox chain offers boat rentals and has both pike and musky. Another option.

Edited by ToddM 9/9/2016 8:45 PM
AndrewR
Posted 9/11/2016 11:11 PM (#830131 - in reply to #829824)

Busse Lake in the northwest suburbs. Offers up some pike and a surprisingly healthy and developing musky fishery.
Musky Brian
Posted 9/12/2016 9:31 AM (#830148 - in reply to #830131)

Looking forward to fishing in Illnois?

That's a first....
jonnysled
Posted 9/12/2016 10:07 AM (#830150 - in reply to #830148)

find a salmon charter ...
travelingfisherman
Posted 9/12/2016 4:07 PM (#830177 - in reply to #830150)

jonnysled - 9/12/2016 10:07 AM

find a salmon charter ...

I don't mind catching a salmon, but I honesty rather catch a Muskie or Northern pike during my trip. Thank you for the suggestion!
travelingfisherman
Posted 9/12/2016 4:10 PM (#830179 - in reply to #830148)

Musky Brian - 9/12/2016 9:31 AM

That's a first....

Illinois has good Muskie/Pike fishing so its definitely a good place to visit.
travelingfisherman
Posted 9/12/2016 4:12 PM (#830181 - in reply to #830131)

AndrewR - 9/11/2016 11:11 PM

Busse Lake in the northwest suburbs. Offers up some pike and a surprisingly healthy and developing musky fishery.

How's the shore fishing for Muskie and Pike in Busse lake in late October? Would you say its a lake better for numbers or size?
travelingfisherman
Posted 9/12/2016 4:17 PM (#830183 - in reply to #830006)

ToddM - 9/9/2016 8:44 PM

If you fish shabbona with a sucker know there are alot of cribs and trees and the suckers will swim right into them. Better off with a circle hook there. Its a state park so there are good facilities. No pike in shabbona though.

The fox chain offers boat rentals and has both pike and musky. Another option.

I am thinking about fishing in Shabbona lake, but there's no Northern pike in there which makes it harder for me to catch both Muskie and Pike. It might be worth it though since I have read many reports of big muskie caught there. What do you think about shore fishing for Muskies in Heidecke lake or Kincaid Lake?
travelingfisherman
Posted 9/12/2016 4:24 PM (#830187 - in reply to #829995)

OnceBit - 9/9/2016 7:45 PM

There is a bait shop inside the park, contact them to check availability. A 12-15" sucker will be fine. You would be better off hiring a guide for a day since your stay is so short. A guide will provide all the necessary gear and put you on fish. This will cut the learning curve greatly and up your odds on catching a muskie. Muskies can be very elusive. The bait shop can suggest a guide.

A 12-15'' sucker is one big bait, is this specifically for trophy muskies or would smaller Muskies eat it as well? If I go to Shabbona lake I will consider a guide, but I am most likely going to do shore fishing for Muskie and Pike.
Musky Brian
Posted 9/12/2016 8:33 PM (#830220 - in reply to #830179)

travelingfisherman - 9/12/2016 4:10 PM

That's a first....

Who told you that ?
RandalB
Posted 9/12/2016 9:58 PM (#830231 - in reply to #830187)

travelingfisherman - 9/12/2016 4:24 PM

A 12-15'' sucker is one big bait, is this specifically for trophy muskies or would smaller Muskies eat it as well?.

Absolutely, I've had low 30's grab suckers that size...

Then again, I've had a 14" Muskie chase a dyin dawg, nipping and flaring at it...

Slamr
Posted 9/13/2016 6:18 AM (#830243 - in reply to #830181)

travelingfisherman - 9/12/2016 4:12 PM

How's the shore fishing for Muskie and Pike in Busse lake in late October? Would you say its a lake better for numbers or size?

I would slow your roll on the Busse Lake thing....definitely NOT a "destination" type lake. It's a series of super shallow ponds that have only been stocked with muskies for around the last 5 years. Though its cool to pas a muskie lake on the way to work everyday...

Here is the IL DNR report:

In 2015, 26 muskie were “rescued” below the spillway and returned to the boat launch in the Main Pool; fish ranged in length from 22.8” to 36” long. To date the largest muskie reported measured 42” long. Site Regulation: 1 fish daily limit, 36" length limit (quick set rig for bait over 8"long).

Yeah...go to the Chain, S.WI or Shabbona. Regardless, Illinois does NOT have great muskie fishing so I'd keep my expectations exceedingly low. If you have a day or two to fish and really want to get one or two, call Chris Taurisano with T-Bone Guide service. He works the chain and can put you on fish.
Fish4muskie
Posted 9/13/2016 8:47 AM (#830256 - in reply to #829824)

I e Muskie fished Illinois for a few years off and on. All I can say is I drive north now. Lol. Shabbona is ok...but expect to not see a fish. Especially from shore. Op Illinois sucks..Hire a guide and/or drive further north. Best of luck.
jonnysled
Posted 9/13/2016 11:21 AM (#830278 - in reply to #830256)

if you are making the trip to Illinois there is really only one thing to do there that stands out ... Eat ...

or catch a game, Cubs fans think they have a season going, Sox Suck, Bears have renewed hope (It's September) and the Hawks are early enough so that the bandwagons haven't loaded with fans yet.

i'd suggest taking in a game and getting fat ...

if you want to fish, you picked the wrong state ...

although in January a bunch of guys get together and fish in a swimming pool ... i'm sure that would be exciting.

Edited by jonnysled 9/13/2016 11:39 AM
mm3
Posted 9/13/2016 1:49 PM (#830297 - in reply to #829824)

I live around Chicago and face this question for myself all the time. Yes, the others that have mentioned that Illinois is not a muskie destination are correct. It does have good bas fishing though at many of its small lakes and rivers. There are greatly appreciated efforts to stock some of its lakes with muskie to provide action for the local addicts. However, no one in their right mind would plan a sole purpose muskie trip to Illinois.

I can't really say much about the Fox Chain since I don't fish there, but Shabbona is a real crap shoot for muskie (especially from shore). It's possibly the most pressured muskie lake, per square foot, in the entire world. While possible, you should really temper your expectations if that is your choice. I'm not saying don't go, or that you won't catch one, I'm just saying... Facilities and overall outdoor experience is good there though.

When I need a fairly local muskie fix I'm thinking two things: Pewaukee or Madison chain. Smokeys rents boats on Pewaukee I believe into November depending on the weather. You would also have a shot at a really good fish there as well.

Edited by mm3 9/13/2016 2:04 PM
travelingfisherman
Posted 9/13/2016 1:56 PM (#830299 - in reply to #830220)

Musky Brian - 9/12/2016 8:33 PM

travelingfisherman - 9/12/2016 4:10 PM

That's a first....

Who told you that ?

I have read several articles of people catching +50'' Muskies in the State of Illinois. I honestly would be happy catching a Muskie or Pike of any size, so I am sure I am going to have a good time.
travelingfisherman
Posted 9/13/2016 2:00 PM (#830302 - in reply to #830231)

RandalB - 9/12/2016 9:58 PM

travelingfisherman - 9/12/2016 4:24 PM

A 12-15'' sucker is one big bait, is this specifically for trophy muskies or would smaller Muskies eat it as well?.

Absolutely, I've had low 30's grab suckers that size...

Then again, I've had a 14" Muskie chase a dyin dawg, nipping and flaring at it...

Ok,I may have a line out with a 12-15' sucker and actively fish a Muskie lure while waiting for a bite. Do you catch your own suckers or do you buy them?
travelingfisherman
Posted 9/13/2016 2:03 PM (#830304 - in reply to #830243)

Slamr - 9/13/2016 6:18 AM

travelingfisherman - 9/12/2016 4:12 PM

I would slow your roll on the Busse Lake thing....definitely NOT a "destination" type lake. It's a series of super shallow ponds that have only been stocked with muskies for around the last 5 years. Though its cool to pas a muskie lake on the way to work everyday...

Here is the IL DNR report:

In 2015, 26 muskie were “rescued” below the spillway and returned to the boat launch in the Main Pool; fish ranged in length from 22.8” to 36” long. To date the largest muskie reported measured 42” long. Site Regulation: 1 fish daily limit, 36" length limit (quick set rig for bait over 8"long).

Yeah...go to the Chain, S.WI or Shabbona. Regardless, Illinois does NOT have great muskie fishing so I'd keep my expectations exceedingly low. If you have a day or two to fish and really want to get one or two, call Chris Taurisano with T-Bone Guide service. He works the chain and can put you on fish.

Thank you for posting the IL DNR report. I will be happy with any size Muskie or Pike I can catch, and anything big would be a plus.
travelingfisherman
Posted 9/13/2016 2:07 PM (#830306 - in reply to #830256)

Fish4muskie - 9/13/2016 8:47 AM

I e Muskie fished Illinois for a few years off and on. All I can say is I drive north now. Lol. Shabbona is ok...but expect to not see a fish. Especially from shore. Op Illinois sucks..Hire a guide and/or drive further north. Best of luck.

Ok, I am still fishing in Illinois for Muskie and Pike. I will consider the trip a success if I have a good time, which is extremely likely.
travelingfisherman
Posted 9/13/2016 2:09 PM (#830308 - in reply to #830278)

jonnysled - 9/13/2016 11:21 AM

if you are making the trip to Illinois there is really only one thing to do there that stands out ... Eat ...

or catch a game, Cubs fans think they have a season going, Sox Suck, Bears have renewed hope (It's September) and the Hawks are early enough so that the bandwagons haven't loaded with fans yet.

i'd suggest taking in a game and getting fat ...

if you want to fish, you picked the wrong state ...

although in January a bunch of guys get together and fish in a swimming pool ... i'm sure that would be exciting.

Thank you for your suggestions, I am planning on doing some sight seeing when I am in Illinois as well.
travelingfisherman
Posted 9/13/2016 2:13 PM (#830309 - in reply to #830297)

mm3 - 9/13/2016 1:49 PM

I live around Chicago and face this question for myself all the time. Yes, the others that have mentioned that Illinois is not a muskie destination are correct. It does have good bas fishing though at many of its small lakes and rivers. There are greatly appreciated efforts to stock some of its lakes with muskie to provide action for the local addicts. However, no one in their right mind would plan a sole purpose muskie trip to Illinois.

I can't really say much about the Fox Chain since I don't fish there, but Shabbona is a real crap shoot for muskie (especially from shore). It's possibly the most pressured muskie lake, per square foot, in the entire world. While possible, you should really temper your expectations if that is your choice. I'm not saying don't go, or that you won't catch one, I'm just saying... Facilities and overall outdoor experience is good there though.

When I need a fairly local muskie fix I'm thinking two things: Pewaukee or Madison chain. Smokeys rents boats on Pewaukee I believe into November depending on the weather. You would also have a shot at a really good fish there as well.

I have read good reports of Pewaukee and Madison, but it might be too much of a drive for this specific trip. Goal is to stay under 1.5 hours from Chicago, but might consider extending the distance I will drive if needed.
jonnysled
Posted 9/13/2016 2:21 PM (#830312 - in reply to #830309)

1.5 hours from Chicago gets you about to the Barrington Chain of Lakes ...
RandalB
Posted 9/13/2016 2:53 PM (#830316 - in reply to #830312)

2 Hours gets you into Hoosier Muskies too..
gregk9
Posted 9/13/2016 3:55 PM (#830327 - in reply to #830312)

jonnysled - 9/13/2016 2:21 PM

1.5 hours from Chicago gets you about to the Barrington Chain of Lakes ...

that would be the Fox Chain O' Lakes, not Barrington.

http://www.lakelubbers.com/fox-chain-olakes-1266/
kdawg
Posted 9/13/2016 5:55 PM (#830338 - in reply to #830327)

Wow, a lot of Illinois bashers here. Remember when most of us started musky fishing? Some got lucky and caught a fish and others it took some time. Give this guy a break man, he said Chicago area, he had 3 days, and he was able to drive a short distance. Slamr said hire a guide for a day on the Fox Chain. Great suggestion! If you choose not to, here is what I suggest. Mallard lake in Dupage county. I would first obtain a map of the lake, and since u still have a month to learn as much as you can about muskies, do so, esp. cpr. Late October should be a great time to try the lake, less pressure, water temps should be good and because the lake is 89 acres, the learning curve is small, especially for your 3 day time frame. Mark off all the areas on your map with a highlighter that you intend to fish from shore using tactics you learned during your month of preparation. One last thing- don't be discouraged if you do not catch a fish, we've all been there. Good luck. kdawg
jonnysled
Posted 9/13/2016 6:19 PM (#830342 - in reply to #830338)

^ true, then there is always the swimming pool but i think that's in Hoffman Estates ...
Musky Brian
Posted 9/13/2016 6:48 PM (#830345 - in reply to #829824)

Is Santas Village still open in Dundee? Used to have a great petting zoo and fantastic funnel cakes ....
Fishen-ski's
Posted 9/13/2016 7:12 PM (#830349 - in reply to #829824)

Slamr is right.... if you can take a day trip w/toro on the fox chain
do it. Catching a muskie from shore around here?? God bless, but you'd
be better off spending that money on lotto tickets. LOL.
5th lake Brad
Posted 9/13/2016 8:05 PM (#830360 - in reply to #830345)

Musky Brian - 9/13/2016 6:48 PM

Is Santas Village still open in Dundee? Used to have a great petting zoo and fantastic funnel cakes ....

It is. Probably looks exactly the same as you remember. Not much change except the admission price.
Slamr
Posted 9/13/2016 8:19 PM (#830361 - in reply to #830360)

5th lake Brad - 9/13/2016 8:05 PM

Musky Brian - 9/13/2016 6:48 PM

It is. Probably looks exactly the same as you remember. Not much change except the admission price.

But if you do go to Santa's Village, there's a great range and gun shop down the street (G.A.T) that even lets Democratic Libtards like me shoot there.
travelingfisherman
Posted 9/14/2016 3:11 PM (#830429 - in reply to #830316)

RandalB - 9/13/2016 2:53 PM

2 Hours gets you into Hoosier Muskies too..

Maybe for another fishing trip, thank you for the suggestion.
travelingfisherman
Posted 9/14/2016 3:17 PM (#830431 - in reply to #830338)

kdawg - 9/13/2016 5:55 PM

Wow, a lot of Illinois bashers here. Remember when most of us started musky fishing? Some got lucky and caught a fish and others it took some time. Give this guy a break man, he said Chicago area, he had 3 days, and he was able to drive a short distance. Slamr said hire a guide for a day on the Fox Chain. Great suggestion! If you choose not to, here is what I suggest. Mallard lake in Dupage county. I would first obtain a map of the lake, and since u still have a month to learn as much as you can about muskies, do so, esp. cpr. Late October should be a great time to try the lake, less pressure, water temps should be good and because the lake is 89 acres, the learning curve is small, especially for your 3 day time frame. Mark off all the areas on your map with a highlighter that you intend to fish from shore using tactics you learned during your month of preparation. One last thing- don't be discouraged if you do not catch a fish, we've all been there. Good luck. kdawg

Thank you, I will consider the Fox chain of lakes and Mallard lake along with the other recommendations I have been given so far. Have been researching Muskie/Pike fishing for a couple weeks now and will continue to do so. I do a lot of inshore/offshore saltwater fishing in South Florida, so I will bring some of that gear for my trip.