Leech lake hazards?
Fishysam
Posted 9/4/2016 3:36 PM (#829435)
Subject: Leech lake hazards?

So I have fished leach lake a couple times mostly in walker bay to the south end of steamboat bay. And I guess what my question is are there hazards like boulders out there that aren't makes by buoys or on lake chips? I run v5 lakemaster in my 999 and navionics in a hds 9 side by side on my dash. I have seen boats ripping around but am not quite comfortable running in shallow water in a new boat on water I don't know. I'd like to go from walker to the north end of steamboat, walker narrows to the main lake, and the other two large bags north, is that doable on plane at 50+??? If anyone can help me grasp what's going on out there I'd enjoy to know more thanks.

Edited by Fishysam 9/4/2016 3:45 PM
djwilliams
Posted 9/4/2016 4:47 PM (#829439 - in reply to #829435)
Subject: RE: Leech lake hazards?

Sam- Going where you want to go from Walker Bay will not be a problem. I'm sure most of our mapping technology has the lake pretty well laid out. I can think of a few places not marked where one would have to be careful. At Pelican Island there are quite a few really large boulders on the west side but anyone who boats ought to know when you get closer to shore to be on the lookout. In other words nothing suddenly pops up out of 11 feet of water on this lake. Most points on Pelican have a marker. There are places in Kabekona Bay that go from 30 to 4 feet immediately. Little Pipe Island isn't lit like it used to be and I'd hope no one goes thru there high speed at night. Literally everything is marked, including the Red Rocks and Submarine. The access entrance at the Brevik Access on the east side isn't marked- my nephew snapped off the skeg of his mom's and my wife's boat going between the wrong rocks. Worst I ever saw was a rental Crestliner from one of the Anderson resorts go over the West Bar close to Pelican and bounce the prop/skeg the entire 20 yards across the rocks. By the way you might want to give the Grand View Flats a shot on the way out of the Walker Narrows. Good Luck!
Fishysam
Posted 9/5/2016 1:03 AM (#829460 - in reply to #829435)
Subject: Re: Leech lake hazards?

Thank you