Lexa 400hd xs 8:1:1
Alumacraft89
Posted 7/14/2016 1:06 AM (#823580)
Subject: Lexa 400hd xs 8:1:1

Anyone using the highest gear ratio Lexa? Looking for a good review from someone who put it threw the ringer.
Tigerhunter
Posted 7/14/2016 8:45 PM (#823715 - in reply to #823580)
Subject: RE: Lexa 400hd xs 8:1:1

I bought a Lexa 400 HD XSL-P 8.1:1 the week they came out. I can't say that I put mine through the ringer but I have used it a fair amount.

I will start off by saying that I typically fish gliders, jerkbaits and dive and rise baits. I rarely throw blades, cranks or any other high resistance baits. I am attempting to throw more topwater this year but my confidence baits are the first ones I mentioned.

I absolutely love the reel WHEN it works (see below for the negatives). It took a while for me to get used to the larger size as I had always used a 300 size reel or smaller previously, this year it feels normal in my hands. I enjoy the power handle, it's very comfortable to fish with all day. My favorite aspect of the reel is the line pickup. It has totally changed the way I fish lures that I have been fishing for years. Depending on the lure, I can use the reel solely to impart action on the lure, where before I would have to pump the rod or twitch in conjunction with cranking the reel.

Take the hellhound for example; I used to use soft twitches in some sort of combination of reeling/cranking to have it glide back and forth. With the 8.1:1 I can simply point my rod at the lure and give a quick crank (1/3 - 1/2 revolution) and it will glide just as wide if not wider than I can with a lower "speed" reel. The same thing happens with the jerks and dive and rise lures I use. I haven't had many opportunities (bites) to really test this "theory" I have but I am thinking if I can keep the rod pointed at the lure, I have a better shot at hooking up rather than if a fish hits at the end of a twitch or sweep.

I have also used it briefly with a tube and topwater, the reel is great for picking up slack.

One thing I have noticed and maybe it is just a coincidence but the few fish that I have caught felt much bigger than they were (they felt a foot longer than they measured....haha). Maybe they were feisty but I suspect it is a lack of power due to the higher gear ratio?

I was plagued out of the box with a "rough" feeling bearing. It was light enough that once I put my braid on, I could no longer feel it. Fastforward 4 trips (roughly 20 hours), and mid-trip the line guide keeps getting stuck on the left side of the reel. The line would pile up on the left and start hitting the frame of the reel rendering it useless.

I sent it in to Daiwa for repair ($20+ to ship/insure). They returned it after replacing a bearing and part of the line guide system. I played with it for a while before putting line on it and it seemed like a brand new reel. Right before I put line on it, the line guide got stuck on the left again. Back it went, this time with a pre-paid shipping label. They replaced the entire line guide system and it has worked great since with the exception of a screaming bearing on the cast (from what I've read it just needs a drop of lubrication).

My final thought on the reel is that it is nice and for certain applications it really shines. If you need the 40"+ IPT in a low profile lefty then this is a good reel for you.
If I were to buy another reel in the future I would look into the new Komodo 450 SS, similar specs/build to the 8.1:1 HD (less IPT) but with a non-disengaging level wind.
Alumacraft89
Posted 7/15/2016 2:57 AM (#823721 - in reply to #823580)
Subject: Re: Lexa 400hd xs 8:1:1

Thanks for the info. I'm torn between the Komodo and the Lexa. I really like then looks of the Komodo and the redesigned cast control. I don't fish many blades and when i do they are mainly double 8s or singles. I wouldn't think it would be a huge problem with either reel. I'm going to see what the street value of the Komodo is and decide. I can get the Lexa off eBay new for 199 I would assume the Komodo will probably be around the same price with Msrp being 270.
sworrall
Posted 7/16/2016 4:34 PM (#823849 - in reply to #823721)

I looked over the Komdo at ICAST and was impressed!

tyler k
Posted 7/17/2016 2:29 PM (#823908 - in reply to #823580)

Any word on the pickup per crank on the new Komodos? It does not specify on their website.
Tigerhunter
Posted 7/17/2016 8:34 PM (#823936 - in reply to #823580)

Steve posted this link in the Icast thread last week...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iay5wlY0qY0&feature=youtu.be&list=PL...

350: 6.4:1 @ 31 IPT
450: 6.3:1 @ 33.5 IPT
450: 7.1:1 @ 37.7 IPT