Big Kahuna vs. Predator XXl Net Bag
timhutson1
Posted 7/9/2016 2:33 AM (#823073)
Subject: Big Kahuna vs. Predator XXl Net Bag

I currently Have the Big Kahuna but my fishing partner complains about how difficult it is to move the bag through the water. Is the predator net better at this? Would the bag fit to do a swap? Any other considerations?
pklingen
Posted 7/9/2016 3:04 PM (#823120 - in reply to #823073)
Subject: Re: Big Kahuna vs. Predator XXl Net Bag

your partner needs to catch more fish and work out a little. two handed operation of the kahuna shouldn't be a problem.
NPike
Posted 7/10/2016 8:45 AM (#823147 - in reply to #823073)
Subject: RE: Big Kahuna vs. Predator XXl Net Bag

My big ranger conservation series net works fine for when I one handedly net large fish.
tolle141
Posted 7/10/2016 5:49 PM (#823177 - in reply to #823120)

pklingen - 7/9/2016 3:04 PM

your partner needs to catch more fish and work out a little. two handed operation of the kahuna shouldn't be a problem.

i'll echo this unless its some sort of permanent health thing. I can one arm a drifter XXL while fighting a fish, and the closest thing to working out that i do is yard work and double 10's
timhutson1
Posted 7/11/2016 12:56 AM (#823206 - in reply to #823120)

I am with you guys. I think it is fine. I think his frustration comes because he is a bit too eager of a net man and expects to be able to sneakily net a boat-side fish before it is truly time. It is certainly not due to weakness or health issues.
MuskyMidget
Posted 7/15/2016 2:08 PM (#823776 - in reply to #823073)

With many years of experience with the Kahuna on LOTW it comes to one thing, the net man cannot "scoop" up a fish by dragging the net through the water. It's too heavy and has too much drag.

The net man simply lays the net in the water when they think it's time and the fish on guy must drag the fish into the net and the net man then lifts up.

I may be short, but I'm pretty strong and it's not easy to drag the kahuna through the water. Drag the fist and lift the net technique is a must.

The kahuna is in my buddy's boat and I personally just bought a Predator XXL net that I haven't gotten to use yet. I will say this, the whole set up is much lighter than the kahuna, that is for sure. Not sure on the net drag in the water yet. Hopefully next week on LOTW I will get to net the girlfriend's first musky.

timhutson1
Posted 7/15/2016 5:48 PM (#823802 - in reply to #823776)

Let me know what you think of the predator. It is definitely an issue of net drag. We are experiencing what you are describing; learning to guide the fish in the net rather than scoop at it. The bad side of that is you have to wait until the fish is more worn out since any attempt too early runs a risk of the fish turning on you and getting the lure caught on the net, etc. since the net is not maneuverable. My partner is used to scooping at the fish, which has not worked out well with the Kahuna.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 7/15/2016 9:53 PM (#823813 - in reply to #823802)

I have used both, I would go with the Predator. It is easier to net with for sure.
My PB went in one.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com