lets talk big name lakes
T3clay
Posted 6/28/2016 7:35 AM (#822019)
Subject: lets talk big name lakes

hey everyone going to be upgrading to a bigger boat this year ( hopefully a 1750 fish hawk W/ 115hp) and am looking to start fishing a big lake and getting to know one but haven't fished any of them so I don't have a great idea where to start. I'm looking for a lake that is big enough to have great trophy potential and enough spots to not feel like your bumping into boats all the time. right now my first idea was vermillion. but have hear that that is not really a numbers lake, that's ok the big (name) lake thing is 100% trophy chasing.

Things to consider:
- trophy potential
- pressure
- accessible to a 1750 fish hawk
- travel time (I'm in SE MN)
-family friendly cheap campground
- maybe a spot I can just sleep in my truck for my own trips
- whatever els I need to consider

lakes that come to my mind I could be missing some of the best options.
LOTW
vermillion
Mille lacs
leech
Bemidji

let me know your thoughts and recommendations!

thanks
bucknuts
Posted 6/28/2016 11:43 AM (#822078 - in reply to #822019)
Subject: RE: lets talk big name lakes

Vermilion is heavily pressured, and surely isn't a numbers lake, but if your after big muskies, it's the place!
I picked Vermilion to spend five months a year, since I retired seven years ago.
It was to chase big muskies.
It is a beautiful lake, and a beautiful area!
I have a 1850 fish hawk. Your boat is big enough.
It can get really nasty on Vermilion, but there are areas you can go to get out of the wind.
You can go several days, and not even see a fish. You can go weeks, without even catching a fish.
Vermilion is a tough lake, but nothing comes easy in muskie fishing.
tkuntz
Posted 6/28/2016 11:46 AM (#822079 - in reply to #822019)
Subject: Re: lets talk big name lakes

LOTW is a phenomenal fishery, and not just for muskies. I took my 16' Lund to Miles Bay last year and had zero issues due to the protection from wind by islands and shore. Caught fish up to 48" my first time on the lake, easy fishing IMO. Some navigation hazards, but a GPS chip will help. Pressure was low to moderate at most.

Vermilion and Mille Lacs get absolutely pounded by fishermen, but have better potential for top end trophy fish than LOTW. Mille lac also has the disadvantage of being wide wide open which makes wind dangerous. Lower numbers than LOTW for certain.
Espy
Posted 6/28/2016 12:25 PM (#822084 - in reply to #822079)

Dont forget about Metro lakes as well, Waconia and Tonka both have giants. Yes, they're both usually busy lakes but they're also 3 hours closer.
sledman5
Posted 6/28/2016 2:04 PM (#822103 - in reply to #822019)

Really like Vermillion as it's an easy drive for me (about 7 hours), beautiful scenery, things for everyone in the family, and BIG fish. Might not get the numbers as some of the other lakes mentioned, but size of the fish there cannot be beat in my opinion.
jonnysled
Posted 6/28/2016 2:13 PM (#822104 - in reply to #822019)

if you're in SE MN you might want to put the St. Croix River on your list as it relates to travel time ... i love fishing there!
Gregoire
Posted 6/28/2016 8:42 PM (#822148 - in reply to #822079)

tkuntz - 6/28/2016 12:46 PM

Vermilion and Mille Lacs get absolutely pounded by fishermen, but have better potential for top end trophy fish than LOTW.

That is an interesting comment. While a lower density may mean that on a per fish caught basis Vermillion and Mille Lacs toss out more trophies, I would argue that LOTW is the only lake in the world where you can both catch numbers, and a monster (55"+) fish. At least the only lake that is fun to fish every day.
If all I cared about with catching 50 inchers I would only fish st clair.
WiscoMusky
Posted 6/28/2016 10:08 PM (#822160 - in reply to #822019)

just go to vermillion lol
muskyhunter47
Posted 6/29/2016 5:10 AM (#822171 - in reply to #822160)

You can't have one without the other. If the lake puts out monster fish there will be people after them. If lake County started putting out big fish on a regular basis it won't take long before the news spread and clouds would gather there.
RJ_692
Posted 6/29/2016 8:50 AM (#822194 - in reply to #822019)

the Bemidji / Walker area is a good destination. Lots of lakes of all sizes close and opportunities for big fish in most water. Maybe not quite at the level it was a few years back, but still very good.
tbaatz
Posted 6/29/2016 8:55 AM (#822197 - in reply to #822019)

Vermilion would be an average sized bay on LOTW - I've fished them both extensively and you're comparing apples to oranges - If you don't mind waiting inline to show a fish her 10th / 12th / 148th / presentation of the day have at it - Spend the extra time and $$ and go to LOTW - - - -
muskiecurt
Posted 7/2/2016 11:41 AM (#822543 - in reply to #822019)

Eagle Lake is also a great lake for size and numbers. I've only fished the East end (Century Lodge) but I go every year and fish from a 1650 Crestliner. Ask around, I wouldn't rule out Eagle. You can fish all day and only see one or two other boats on the water. Century is only lodge on that end.
kdawg
Posted 7/2/2016 6:08 PM (#822565 - in reply to #822543)

From ur location, Lake Wissota, Holcombe Flowage, and of course the Chippewa Flowage. All have trophy potential. All will see pressure as well so schedule a trip accordingly. Early fall would be prime. Kdawg
Nick59
Posted 7/3/2016 7:04 AM (#822593 - in reply to #822019)

Lot's of Vermilion bashing here.
Doesn't matter how many lures they see...it's when they want to eat and if your presenting baits during that time.
Fished tournaments where folks were in line to fish a spot and fish were caught there.
So keep Vermilion as an option.
Might want to try one of the Muskie First outings at Spring Bay.

Good Luck,
Nick
djwilliams
Posted 7/8/2016 9:32 AM (#823017 - in reply to #822019)

Leech and the Longville lakes are a wasteland. No sense in going there.
Herb_b
Posted 7/8/2016 2:38 PM (#823043 - in reply to #822019)

I would take Leech over any of the lakes mentioned. I stuck three there Sunday and plan to get up there several more times this year. Lots of water, but the fish are there in both numbers and size. If it gets too windy, there are a number of smaller lakes in the area that hold good numbers of Muskies too. Just my opinion.
Mertot
Posted 7/10/2016 9:55 PM (#823194 - in reply to #822019)

If you're in SE MN and want a close day trip destination give Clear Lake Iowa a try!
Not in the same league as LOTW etc...obviously but close by (you Don't have to Drive through or near MSP--always a plus!) Not the Northwood's feel or scenery(it IS Iowa), obviously, but low to moderate fishing pressure and 50+ potential. The usual summer pests (jet skis, etc...) pressure is however high, so plan your trips accordingly.
djwilliams
Posted 7/10/2016 10:09 PM (#823197 - in reply to #823194)

Remember that Clear Lake has zebra mussels. Give French Lake near Faribault a try in the fall, and I hear Cedar near Faribault and Fox Lake nearer the border both have muskies.
Steveessie
Posted 7/16/2016 8:19 AM (#823824 - in reply to #822019)

I would say it all depends on what you are truly looking for. All the big name lakes, Leech, LOTW, Vermilion, and Mille Lacs all hold potential world records and a good, healthy population of 50" fish. However, if you want nice scenery, then you would want LOTW or Vermilion. If you want a shorter drive, then Mille Lacs or Leech. If you want little to no pressure, then LOTW (it's HUGE). So, besides just a chance at a huge fish, whatt else are you considering. Personally, I wouldn't want to drive hours and hours and hours if all I'm looking for is a big fish. All the above lakes have big fish...the more time I spend driving, the less time my line is wet..period. I think Vermilion and LOTW are much easier to fish than Leech and Mille Lacs but Leech is easier than Mille Lacs. You can find places to hide from the wind on all of those lakes except most of Mille Lacs...Vermilion and LOTW have endles bays, islands, coves where you can hide. Leech and Mille Lacs aren't really very senic...big bowls but lots of rock reefs and huge patches of cabbage..they are like fishing in an ocean. So, ask yourself what you are really looking for. All have big fish. All of at least some fishing pressure (Vermilion the most). Again, I would consider drive time because we all know that if you want to consistently put big fish in the boat, you gotta learn the lake. Good Luck