Lund Vs Crestliner???
Randy Whiteman
Posted 6/24/2003 9:37 PM (#74162)
Subject: Lund Vs Crestliner???

I have narrowed my choices to two boats. 1700 Lund Angler or 16 Mr. Pike vs. a 1750 fishawk. I can sure get a lot more boat with a crestliner for the same money. The 1750 Crestliner w/90hp 4stk is 15350, either Lund package w/about same motor will be 1500 to 2000 more!!Is it worth it to buy a Lund. I plan on keeping this boat for at least 10 years so I want to get something that will last and be trouble free (for the most part). I am also having a hard time deciding between a Honda or Merc???!!! Help please!! Need a lot of input here. Thanks in advance.

Randy
Tyler Campbell
Posted 6/24/2003 11:58 PM (#74173 - in reply to #74162)
Subject: RE: Lund Vs Crestliner???

Hey Randy,

I ran a Mr. Pike 17 for a while and loved it. But I have to say that I'd be leaning towards the Crestliner. More space, more for the money, and they are very well built.

Lund makes great boats, but they are a bit overpriced. Built like tanks though.

As far as motors, I'd go with the Merc, as it's basically a Yamaha 4-stroke. But I'm partial to Yamaha engines and everone is going to have some brand loyalty. They are about the same weight at around 400 lbs. wet, and performance should be almost the same.

Good fishin', and good luck with the new boat!

Tyler Campbell

rpkoran
Posted 6/25/2003 3:04 AM (#74175 - in reply to #74162)

I bought a 1998 Crestliner 1750 Fishhawk. It has so much room and takes on big water lakes with no problem. I enjoy the width the most. Only problem it came with a 75hp Force. Really have had no problems yet. I will be looking into buying a Suzuki four stroke motor to replace Force. The best boat motor on the market. Only motor that comes close is the new Mercury 6 cycle.
Shep
Posted 6/25/2003 10:08 AM (#74201 - in reply to #74175)

I have a 2002 Lund Angler SS. It is a great Muskie boat. I looked at C'liners, and while the Lund was a little more expensive, in my opinion, it is worth it. It's wider, has the IPS hull, HP up to 140, and fit and finish is better. It has a great layout for fishing, and rides much better. As for the motor, I can't own another motor than a Merc. If you decide to go with the C'liner, take a good look at the 115 Opti or the 115 4 Stroke. The 90 and 115 4 Strokes have Yammy powerheads.

BTW, mine is for sale. Look in the classifieds here. Not selling because I don't like it, but I need to reprioritize my financial situation. This boat is loaded, and very Muskie friendly. NADA price figures to $24K+, so I have it priced right. If you want to go out for a test, give me a shout.
Phish Killer
Posted 6/25/2003 11:13 AM (#74206 - in reply to #74162)

Buy Shep's boat.......

If you're in for the long haul get a Lund. Built way better and like Shep said the finish is much, much better. Crestliner graphics suck and they fade and look like sh!t after a while. One positive about crestliner is they have more musky friendly live wells, lund's have smaller wells, I wish they would change that. I have a Lund and would buy another in a minute, plus the resale value alone is worth going with Lund.

Edited by Phish Killer 6/25/2003 11:24 AM
dpratt
Posted 6/25/2003 5:04 PM (#74230 - in reply to #74162)

Both boats are owned by the same company and you'll find that the quality is similar.  You just need to decide whether you want a riveted boat or a welded one and pick appropriately.  Both companies make a great boat.
Jay
Posted 6/26/2003 11:14 AM (#74307 - in reply to #74162)

I have a 2001 Crestliner Fishhawk which I bought used and am happy as can be with it. Previous owner was a musky fanatic so it was already set up as I would have.

It is powered by a Suzuki 70 4 stroke (tiller model boat is rated for 80 but I'm not into the go-fast part that goes with boating) and love the motor. I get 30.5 mph/gps which suits me fine but I sometimes wonder what I could have gotten with an 80hp motor. The thing barely uses any gas either.

Do go with a 24 volt motor troller up front as this boat has high sides and get's pushed around quite a bit.

The fit and finish isn't up to Lunds standards but like previous poster mentioned, the livewell is a full 60" should you need one (resuscitating muskies or holding suckers wet, or store stuff in a dry bag in there with the overflow and inlet plugged). I am not into how the thing looks on the water either as you could have told from my previous boat. Resale is not a consideration for me either for various reasons.

I look at it this way, it's a boat. Another tool used for fishing. It suits me just fine and fits the way I fish well. I am of the belief it's not the manufacture so much as it is the way it's laid out. I prefer the layout of the Crestliner vs. other boats of the same size that I checked out and the price was right!

Just my .02 worth

Jay
Lake Shelbyville Muskie Club www.shelbyvillemuskie.com (under construction)
and
Illinois Muskie Tournament Trail www.illmuskie.com

Posted 6/27/2003 1:33 PM (#74428 - in reply to #74162)
Subject: RE: Testing New Forum Format

I own a 1750 fishhawk with an 80 yamaha tiller model. Very roomy boat, which I like and that's why I selected it. The yamaha is a great motor too.
GregM
Posted 6/28/2003 11:50 AM (#74474 - in reply to #74162)

We sell both and get that question a lot....since this is a musky site and I assume over 75% of you and your partners fishing is done standing up and casting....

CRESTLINER, hands down!!

The back deck is so much roomier, you can toe up to the sides for figure 8's, have a wider stance for rougher conditions, etc......

The best Lund IMHO for Musky fishing would be the 1700 Angler because of it;s back deck, but it isnt close to the size of a 1750 Crestliner.

If this was a walleye site and you did most of your fishing sitting down, drifting,troling,etc..I would say Lund..again IMHO.
mossback
Posted 7/3/2003 10:28 PM (#74971 - in reply to #74162)

In reply to your question, both boats are very well built and are both made by Genmar. The main diffrence between the boats is that a Lund rides better and has great resale value. What you need to do is step in all the boats you have chosen and walk around, pick the one that feels best.

Posted 7/6/2003 2:44 PM (#75063 - in reply to #74162)

I have a Lund Pro-v 1800 the rod locker space is limited to 5 rods none over 6 ft. The motor is a Honda 90 tiller which is very nice.
MikeT
Posted 7/7/2003 11:15 PM (#75258 - in reply to #74162)

I went through the same analysis (Lund Angler or Crestliner 1750). I ended up buying the Lund Angler 1700 SS. I was impressed by the Crestliner storage and layout, and it had a bigger livewell. What sold it for me (IMHO) was the Lund fit and finish, semi-water tight storage, and lower side wall height (especially in the back...easier to release fish). The slight difference in width was a moot point to me. With respect to the livewell, the Crestliner's would have been nicer than the 44" livewell in my Angler, but I've only had to put one musky in my livewell over the past 18 years (out of 400+ caught and released). From a cost standpoint, it was a wash for me. I got a very good price on my Angler that actually ended up slightly cheaper than what I would of paid for the Fishhawk from my local Crestliner dealer.