rod position for working pounders/dussa?
adubs
Posted 6/13/2016 11:12 AM (#820412)
Subject: rod position for working pounders/dussa?

How do you guys hold your rod when working big rubber baits like pounders and husky dussa's? I have just started using these baits more and I tend to put the handle of the rod against my side/ribs and hold the foregrip. After a couple hours though my side starts to really feel it. I have a 9'6" shock n awe split grip with an HG on it. I just wrapped it with some tennis racket grips and that made it a lot more comfortable to hold but I'd imagine my side is still going to be fairly tender/sore by leveraging the rod against my side while rippin'. What do you guys do to avoid this or do you just suck it up and know its going to cause some discomfort.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(handle.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments handle.JPG (94KB - 383 downloads)
tkuntz
Posted 6/13/2016 11:29 AM (#820417 - in reply to #820412)
Subject: Re: rod position for working pounders/dussa?

I do the same thing, left hand on front grip with the rod butt between my upper arm and side. I use my latissimus dorsi muscle as a cushion between the rod handle and my rib cage. I fish with a slightly downward angled rod to keep the butt up against my lat muscle or else my ribs end up sore. There is no way to eliminate irritation completely, just minimize it.
curleytail
Posted 6/13/2016 12:12 PM (#820429 - in reply to #820412)

Split grips give the bruised rib feeling a little worse than a full cork handle, but either way you're going to feel it at the start of the season.

My experience is you have to suck it up for the first weekend or two but you'll get used to it quickly and it won't be uncomfortable for the rest of the year.
Nershi
Posted 6/13/2016 1:02 PM (#820440 - in reply to #820412)

I don't buy splits for this very reason. Ripping cranks will do the same thing. It still hurts with full grips but not nearly as bad. I've seriously considered building rib pads.

I typically palm the reel but I've had issues with hooksets palming with rubber baits. I don't like to hold the foregrip so I purchased an outdoor grip to mount on my rod. Tried it out this weekend and liked it other than the extra weight it adds.
dami0101
Posted 6/13/2016 2:04 PM (#820447 - in reply to #820412)

I also don't buy split grips for this reason. Started out with a mojo musky and learned I didn't like it. As has been said, you either tough it out or you can use things like tennis racket grips to add a little padding.
Zinox
Posted 6/13/2016 3:05 PM (#820459 - in reply to #820412)

I just fish, and after a couple of days on the water the pain stops. Both with split grips and full cork, but yes the ribs take a beating, and ive had some rather large bruises some times, from power ripping pounders.
mnmusky
Posted 6/13/2016 3:11 PM (#820460 - in reply to #820459)

Consume lots of bacon, beer and donuts. Padding.
lakecountryfisher
Posted 6/13/2016 3:17 PM (#820463 - in reply to #820412)

Yup, thats how I do it. I just work through it...that is the least of my pain out on the water for a day.

I have seen people wrap a pool noodle around the split grip for padding.
115hammer
Posted 6/14/2016 5:52 AM (#820523 - in reply to #820412)

I wrap mine with pipe insulation with a little electrical tape to hold it on the top and bottom. Works very well and softens the blow of long days jerkin rubber.