LED Headlamps
Baitwasher
Posted 6/7/2016 4:17 PM (#819720)
Subject: LED Headlamps

Looking for some recommendations on a decent LED headlamp that won't break the bank for night fishing. The 2 main things I am looking for is a brighter light and one that you can easily turn on once you have a fish on. What lumen rating do you guys consider bright enough?
btfish
Posted 6/7/2016 4:33 PM (#819726 - in reply to #819720)
Subject: RE: LED Headlamps

If you do a search for (Head Lamps) there was a post last year that has 23 very good replies.
wallydiven
Posted 6/7/2016 4:39 PM (#819730 - in reply to #819720)
Subject: Re: LED Headlamps

Just did a Google search because I'm curious as well. Seems like the options are endless. Guess it comes down to what your price point is.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 6/7/2016 4:45 PM (#819732 - in reply to #819720)

Just get a regular energizer one they work great. Bright, low profile, single switch operation.
allegheny river kid
Posted 6/7/2016 5:34 PM (#819742 - in reply to #819720)

Boruit RJ-3000 is the one I have. I've used it for a little over a year with no problems. Believe I got it thru ebay and was fairly inexpensive. Rechargeable batteries seem to do ok, not as good as traditional batteries. I think it came with 2 chargers also.

milje
Posted 6/7/2016 6:18 PM (#819746 - in reply to #819720)

Best I've found is a Browning Nitro. I have went through a lot of cheap ones, his blows them all away.

http://www.browning.com/products/flashlights/headlamps-and-caplight...
rangerr83
Posted 6/7/2016 8:27 PM (#819759 - in reply to #819720)

I just asked this recently somewhere else and most said the 15$ energizers
Muskiemetal
Posted 6/8/2016 7:54 AM (#819816 - in reply to #819720)

Here's an Energizer with 200 lumens. I have one with 135 and it's bright enough to light up my outside planer board.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/911046-energizer-vision-hd-200...
BNelson
Posted 6/8/2016 9:27 AM (#819832 - in reply to #819720)

I have or have owned $150 Petzls to $10 cheapies... things I have found to be an advantage... easy to turn of and off... finding the button on some when you have a fish on is not easy... having small led lights that you can turn on to change baits etc that won't blind the other guy in the boat.... I prefer a big flood light... some beams were much to narrow... out of say 10 that I have or have owned this one is the one I wear the most... it has a button on each side on top, one for the dimmer led, and one for the bright halogen, it has a flood adjustment too and is very bright. I have recommended it to a few guys and they have bought it as well...
I recently bought one of the 200 lumen energizers people recommended and I like my Browning better....

not sure how lumens are rated but this one says 85 and it seems just as bright as the 200 lumen energizer I just bought...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Browning-Pro-Hunter-Maxus-85-Lumens-Headlam...

I'd also recommend getting at least 1 like the energizer for back up as at one time or another your fishing partner will forget theirs...I carry about 5 in the boat but I like having a lot of extras !
Rotorhead
Posted 6/8/2016 6:39 PM (#819926 - in reply to #819720)

I bought a Browning Night Seeker Pro Caplight. It has 60 Lumens which I find plenty for night fishing. It all depends on what you need as there are a lot of choices. What I like about this one is that it clips on my ball cap brim. A big plus is that it takes 1 AAA battery which is much easier than buying a pocket full of disk batteries. I always keep a few extra batteries in the boat, but I find one lasts plenty of time. I only turn it on when I need to. It has a hinge and can be adjusted to the perfect angle for fishing or working on equipment. The downside is that it has two green LED's along with the white. You must click 3 times to get the white - 1 click is one green, 2 clicks is 2 green, and the third is the white LED. That's the only downside. After using it for 3 years, I just bought 2 more on Amazon. I use it for hunting too. My brother loves his too.
Reef Hawg
Posted 6/11/2016 3:13 AM (#820207 - in reply to #819720)

I night fish a lot, year round, and really like my 205 lumen Princeton Tech Vizz Industrial. It differs from the retail Vizz in that all of the lights are white, whereas the retail has two red led's. The Vizz Ind has one max bright LED and 4 'regular' led's. I run the max bright for flipping on when a fish is hooked or when looking for navigation cans, or tracking deer. Pushing and holding the button once gets the bright setting. Pushing and holding the button turns on the 4 smaller LED's and slowly dims them until you release the button. I use that feature so much, as the lowest setting is achieved in a couple seconds, and is great for retying or finding your beer.

I use a little Princeton Tech Aurora 3 led for reading heavy metal magazines in the camper or tent after the fishing day is complete.
mseybert
Posted 6/11/2016 8:12 AM (#820216 - in reply to #819720)

If you are looking for bright, nothing compares to hunting lights. One of my other hobbies is raccoon hunting. Once I saw what these lights do, I was spoiled. I have belt lights, pocket lights, and a little guy called the k-bob. While my belt lights are a little brighter, they are bulky. The k-bob below comes with a headstrap and let me tell you, it is awesome. Rechargeable too.

http://shop.kelleysk-lightsupply.com/product.sc?productId=66
Booch
Posted 6/15/2016 12:21 PM (#820661 - in reply to #819720)

I've always had PrincetonTec lights. Their lifetime warranty is fantastic. I've had my Quad replaced 3 times in 10 years, due to things breaking unrelated to the light itself (plastic parts, etc).

Be aware that some of them (such as the Fred) will start flashing if you leave it on too long and you've then got to click the button to keep it on. That'd be a little annoying when you were fighting a fish! The Quad doesn't do this, it'll stay on as long as you like.