Weighting Jerkbaits
NathanH
Posted 4/11/2016 7:39 PM (#813724)
Subject: Weighting Jerkbaits

I picked up a pair of unweighted intimidators I didn't known it at the time. I'd like to add weight to them using a screw in weight system. How do you determine the location to place the additional weight? Do you add weight to more then one place? The most common thing I have seen is to add weight some where just behind the first hook hanger but I'm unsure why?
spoonpluggergino
Posted 4/11/2016 10:02 PM (#813748 - in reply to #813724)
Subject: Re: Weighting Jerkbaits

Use a bucket of water, or your sink, than start to attach weights at the bottom of your bait, you can use masking tape it will work, but you have to dry the bait every time you add additional weight or new location. I like to put the weight were the bait is leaning slightly head down, so when you jerk the bait it will dive. I use a more sophisticated method with screw pins and different weights that have hangars. I also use a 3 inch by 22 inch cylinder graduated in ml, I fill the cylinder with water that i put the bait with all the hardware and hooks on and I start to add weighs until I sink the bait the way I want it, Than I go to large pan and i distribute the weight on the belie until I get the angle or the attitude angle of the bait I want. Also keep in mind the rise of the bait that you want, lesser weight faster rise and so forth. some time you have to pick two spots depends on the amount of lead and and size of the bait. You can make a lead mold by using two pieces of really hard wood drill some holes and pour the lead in the mold works great. If you like additional help feel free to PM
Gino
Stranger2bluewater
Posted 4/13/2016 6:19 AM (#813910 - in reply to #813724)

Use tape and move them around until you like the position. Make sure you have the same leader, hooks, and split rings on the bait. Don't forget the leader!

When you add the weight to the bait add a little less because you will drill a hole in the bait so you will lose some buoyancy. Once the weight is in I like to cover the hole with epoxy putty. It dries to waterproof very quickly so you can retest the job quickly. If you put too much drill a little lead out, cover with putty and retest.
NathanH
Posted 4/13/2016 6:43 AM (#813911 - in reply to #813910)

Thanks guys I'm going to use a weight system to avoid extra work of melting lead and sealing the bait again. I might poly it again since it's not epoxied.
Brad P
Posted 4/13/2016 9:42 AM (#813929 - in reply to #813724)

Great tips in here, I'm going to try this as well. AS an aside, Musky Buster makes an Aluminum Lipped Intimidator that has a nice hang to it. I only see it at the shows though.