Advancements in Electronics
BrianF.
Posted 2/12/2016 10:38 PM (#804551)
Subject: Advancements in Electronics

Some suggest that advancements in electronics could be sucking some of the enjoyment out of fishing and being in the out of doors, turning fishing into yet another video game. Others say the new waves of electronics increases their enjoyment and keeps their interest level higher as they explore new ways of becoming more productive fishermen. Whether we like it or not, technology will continue to advance in this sport. 

What are your thoughts about the ever-improving fishing technologies being made available to us anglers? Has it increased your enjoyment on the water?  Or taken something away from the experience?

horsehunter
Posted 2/13/2016 7:24 AM (#804561 - in reply to #804551)
Subject: Re: Advancements in Electronics

I actually like it both ways Big water all the electronics we can fit especially GPS/ chart , VHF radio and cell phone 2 0r 3 boats can sort things out much quicker.

I still like to fish a couple of times a year out of a tinney and a canoe with nothing but a rod and 3 or four lures and in complete solitude.

I know a guy who fishes bass tournaments who prefishes with his sounder on and competes with the sounder turned off just using his chart and waypoints.
RandalB
Posted 2/13/2016 8:57 AM (#804573 - in reply to #804551)

I really enjoyed last year's fishing with my Humminbird/autochart/Ipilot link system. Took a lot of the pressure off while fishing with the family. Was definately nice to let the system navigate while I was doing my one armed guy at the wallpaper hanging contest imitation...
I can't see why something like that would remove enjoyment. It made me enjoy fishing with the family and made it less frustrating. Put us on a heck of a lot more fish than we'd normally have seen.

RandalB
tolle141
Posted 2/13/2016 2:33 PM (#804621 - in reply to #804551)

Side imaging, ipilot, mapping, and GPS make me a better angler. I don't understand how that makes it less enjoyable.

The only bit of technology that makes fishing less enjoyable is the cell phone. That's why I wear a mechanical watch - so I can check the time without being tempted to check my email/FB/texts.