How do I purchase the "top-end" lures?
muski_n00b
Posted 1/16/2016 1:27 PM (#799884)
Subject: How do I purchase the "top-end" lures?

I finally have a good amount of money saved up to outfit my tackle box for the summer. Sadly I am a sucker for the "top-end" lures I hear everyone talking about. I've tried so hard to find dadsons, Lake X, and supernaturals, ect. I seem to have no luck as they are always sold out. Surely there has to be someone that has these things? I'll be going to the Minnesota Musky Expo this spring.. Will I have any luck there?
Ryan_Cotter
Posted 1/16/2016 1:41 PM (#799888 - in reply to #799884)
Subject: Re: How do I purchase the "top-end" lures?

If you say you're a sucker for "top-end" lures, it sounds like you've lost all hope already. The guy on your should screaming BUY IT! WELL YEA! BUY IT! BUY IT! will guide you to them. Check tackle websites, check classifieds here, check that crazy world called Musky Flee Market on facebook. All day, every minute, every hour, every week. And you'll find some.
Outfit yourself with some "top-end" release tools too
RandalB
Posted 1/16/2016 1:50 PM (#799894 - in reply to #799888)

Right time of the year for ordering those lures, with luck you'll have them by the season. Just ordered several kinds you mention from the manufacturer and/or the shops myself.
Call them and get on the list. Keep calling back and bugging them. Should have a pretty good chance at getting what you want in time. Lots of these guys spend the off season making lures.
HTH,
RandalB
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/16/2016 2:08 PM (#799897 - in reply to #799894)

Join one of the flee markets on Facebook. Fairly easy to find the baits you're seeking. I've picked up 2 cannonballs, 2 fat bastards, and a handful of other "top" end baits simply by trading some stuff I don't use. Haven't paid a dime for them.
FAT-SKI
Posted 1/16/2016 2:14 PM (#799898 - in reply to #799894)

Trust me, You will get more luck at the expo then your wallet needs to have. just keep one thing in mind with painted lures ...

the top of the bait is 90% for the fisherman and 10% for the fish

the bottom of the bait is 90% for the fish and 10% for the fisherman

the sides of the bait are an even 50% - 50% split

Beautiful painted baits are meant more to catch you then the fish - though usually they do a great job at both
mnmusky
Posted 1/16/2016 2:32 PM (#799900 - in reply to #799898)

some headlocks at thorne last week.
muski_n00b
Posted 1/16/2016 4:16 PM (#799916 - in reply to #799900)

Thanks everyone. And just to clarify the first things I bought when I started muskie fishing last year was a $170 net, knipex hook cutters, and long reach pliers. Thanks to the wealth of information on this site I realized these were the most important things. Now I just need to figure out how to put more fish in that big stinking net!

Thanks for the information. I never knew about the facebook group for muskie stuff. Sounds like the musky expo will take me for everything I got anyways.
T.Carlson
Posted 1/16/2016 5:36 PM (#799928 - in reply to #799884)

I started throwing those Apache triple bucktails late last season. I would pick up a couple of those!! I know musky tackle online has them, I was in Thornes yesterday and they were pretty picked over
they did have a few Lake X baits though!
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/16/2016 5:38 PM (#799930 - in reply to #799884)

LOL good luck Best bet for the "hot" lures is to go to the shows on a Friday!!! I watch Lake X almost sell out on Friday at the Chicago show. Line of up to 20 people buying.....

Just a suggestion but here is what I tell my son when he wants video games... Of course the new ones are $80 so I tell him to just was one year and then buy them for $40. Same thing for most "hot" items. I wanted the new 50" TV years ago but they were $6000, so I waited 2 years and got a 65" for $999. LOL now the 65" TVs are $400 on black Friday and are 2x better than the 65" I bought for $999

Or even better yet, take that $500 you were going to use to buy 4-6 lures, buy a few pcs of wood working equipment and build 40 for yourself for the same $500. But watch out....this is what I did 12 years ago and I now have over 15,000 sq feet of rods and lures in 2 huge pole barns....

Enjoy the wicked addiction my friend... and stop by the Tackle Industries booth in Minnesota and say hello.

James
Owner, Tackle Industries
teddy b
Posted 1/17/2016 10:17 AM (#800070 - in reply to #799884)

I'll second James' advise. Try to get to the expo on Friday, ideally when the doors open, and you will be able to get the 'hot' lures that will having em jumping in that net! Day 2 will still have a ton of great lures but they may be out of the 'click-pop-wiz-bangs' and your season could be a rousing failure.

TB
rodbender
Posted 1/17/2016 10:43 AM (#800076 - in reply to #799884)

if I had the hottest selling baits for each year, for the last ten years, I should be a muskie catching machine...right?
or......is it all "monkey see, monkey do" buying hype? hmmmm i dont know what to think.
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/17/2016 8:29 PM (#800160 - in reply to #799884)

LOL Nothing better than a 20 yr old Suick bought on eBay and put a fresh coat of paint on it That is my hot lure!
Sam Ubl
Posted 1/18/2016 8:50 AM (#800195 - in reply to #799884)

The number one Suick of mine is one I found snagged to a stump on Escanaba back when I was a kid. Still have that old warrior bait, although not much paint left on it.
muskie! nut
Posted 1/18/2016 10:53 AM (#800213 - in reply to #799884)

"I wanted the new 50" TV years ago but they were $6000, so I waited 2 years and got a 65" for $999. "

Im betting that the Rodgers to Janis Hail Mary was awesome on that TV, but the Carson to FitzGerald not so much.
tolle141
Posted 1/18/2016 9:41 PM (#800289 - in reply to #799884)

Dadsons = spankys. They're the exact same thing. Hit the spanky wall at the show and you'll see what we're talking about.

Lake X - I haven't found one that sounds quite like it, but with all the money you save on dadsons you could prob buy a couple Lake X, or experiment.

Or get ahead of the next craze and order barfighters....

Sorgy
Posted 1/19/2016 8:25 AM (#800315 - in reply to #800289)

Just getting started?

Get some good solid baits that are known fish catchers.

If you can get to George's MN Muskie Expo on Friday do it. You will get your Lake X lures, Dadsons and Headlocks at the show prices -if you must have them.

I would attend the Tackle swaps- You may not find the top end Dadson's, Lake "X" but you may find a Headlock or 2. Bring cash and get there early. Lots of great baits that work and can catch you a ton of fish.

I have heard that Dadson's can catch 15 fish before they fall apart- a handful of Musky Mahem Cowgirls, JR's and Showgirls should cover you; you can get 5 for the price of 1 Dadson(at the flee market prices) at swaps. They catch fish..... If they fall apart after 5 fish I am happy to buy 2 more to replace them.
Topraiders and Big Mama's can be had for half of what a Fat Bastard goes for on Flee Market.

Don't just get caught up in the "Hot Bait" of the year. Join your local M.I. chapter, Get talking to other muskie fishing guy's/gals. Develop some friendships and trust of the other muskie fishermen(Network). Be willing to share info- but be careful of being used. Don't share info that was shared with you to others- common courtesy.

Good Luck

Steve

Slamr
Posted 1/19/2016 8:50 AM (#800324 - in reply to #800315)

Cool lures are cool...but dont believe the hype too much yet, young Padawan. New fangled sexy cool home made cranks with metal lips are cool...but at $50+, you MIGHT want to consider cool OLD lures like cisco kids (also metal lipped, if you want a bigger lip, spend a few bucks at Rollie's and get lips to replace the stock metal lips), which you can get for a lot cheaper. The "hot" popular bucktails are great, but again if you're just starting out, might be a good idea to get a variety of sizes and colors for much cheaper, versus one for the cost of 3. Super rare topwaters are cool, too...but not many people would tell you that you can't catch a lot of fish on boring baits like topraiders and weagles.

Yes, alot of that was a commercial for site sponsors...
anderj85
Posted 1/19/2016 9:46 AM (#800333 - in reply to #799884)

I was able to find a new dadson 9mm on ebay for retail. Mainly i just wanted to see what they are all about, but as mentioned above, spanky's are readily available and i think they have better colors.
adubs
Posted 1/19/2016 10:37 AM (#800341 - in reply to #799884)

A LOT of this has already been said but I was in your position just a few years back (getting back into musky fishing for the first time as an adult). I took the advice of most of the guys on here and thought about what type of lakes I'd be fishing and what style fishing I liked best. I then made a list of proven baits and bought a few of each style (blades, jerks, cranks, topwaters, etc) and then bought those. I don't have hundreds of baits and don't feel I need them. I have about 125 baits all together and although I do own a couple dadson's and lakeX they are there to compliment my other lures. Don't go crazy on buying the Hottest lures especially when you are just trying to get a tackle box full. Save your money and buy more baits that are less expensive until you figure out what baits you prefer (style, color, etc...) Most of my hottest baits look like crap now (after a few fish each) and the muskies don't seem to care at all. If you have an unlimited musky budget by all means go for it, but if your like most guys, save where you can! This sport gets expensive enough without buying the highest priced option!
Cloud7
Posted 1/19/2016 11:10 AM (#800342 - in reply to #799884)
Subject: RE: How do I purchase the "top-end" lures?

PM'ing you.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 1/19/2016 11:23 AM (#800346 - in reply to #800324)

Slamr - 1/19/2016 8:50 AM

Yes, alot of that was a commercial for site sponsors... ;-)

Brought to you by... should be your signature.
JKahler
Posted 1/19/2016 12:35 PM (#800360 - in reply to #799884)

Just stick with 2 contrasting colors of each. 2 big bucktails, 2 small bucktails, a couple gliders, couple jerkbaits, etc. Instead of buying 10 baits at an expo now, I buy one nice one like a Headlock. But if you don't like to troll, don't waste your money on an $80 crankbait.

Lots of lures just breeds more confusion and wasted time on the water. Keep it simple. Too much hype and fads in fishing, just get what you like and go catch fish. Let everyone else trip over each other to pay $100 for a bucktail. Ha!
Jeremy
Posted 1/19/2016 12:38 PM (#800363 - in reply to #800160)

Tackle Industries - 1/17/2016 8:29 PM

LOL Nothing better than a 20 yr old Suick bought on eBay and put a fresh coat of paint on it That is my hot lure!

^ this.

Or that - plus- call AHL and talk to Phil. Worked for me...

edit -- also bought a new little tackle box, you know, just to hold the next 15 Suicks I bought! ....:-))

Jeremy.
muski_n00b
Posted 1/20/2016 11:36 AM (#800502 - in reply to #799884)

Thanks for all the help everyone. Peoples attitude and willingness to share information when it comes to muskie fishing is a big reason I got into it. I realized I don't need the "craze" lures to catch fish but there's something about having exactly what I want that I like (this attitude gets very expensive). I think I'll pick up a couple headlocks in contrasting colors and get my hands on a few Lake X topwaters. At this point I don't see any reason to spend 100+ on a single bucktail. Thanks for the help again.
achotrod
Posted 1/21/2016 10:36 AM (#800634 - in reply to #799884)

Fat Bastards are awesome, but some days they get no action and a hawgwobbler will. I swear my Dadsons are busted, they work well but other then a couple follows I have boated 0 fish with them and gave them a plenty of time. Put on another brand and all the sudden Im seeing or catching. Lol

So you dont need the hottest baits and they are not magic, but if you really want them hit the Expos early on day one for retail $$ or Musky Flea Market on FB and you will find everything but pay dearly for them.
Natureboy
Posted 1/21/2016 11:45 AM (#800647 - in reply to #799884)

Talking about cool lures...hey James, the nibbler looks pretty sweet!