Yamaha 4-strokes

Posted 5/31/2003 12:55 AM (#71856)
Subject: Yamaha 4-strokes

I am thinking about upgrading to a Lund Pro-V with a Yamaha 225 4-stroke. Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with the Yamaha engines? Thanks. Dan

Posted 5/31/2003 1:19 AM (#71857 - in reply to #71856)
Subject: RE: Yamaha 4-strokes

yamaha's are worth buying, however if you want that much horsepower(225) I would go with a 225 hpdi. If you want a four stroke I would purchase the F-115, it has fuel injection.
FishMan
Posted 5/31/2003 3:33 PM (#71877 - in reply to #71856)

There is a good article in power boat magazine comparing 4 strokes to 2 stroke technology,it has some suprises in it,..I own a pro V 2025 mag and have a 200Hpdi yammy on it ,no problems yet, plenty of power,good fuel economy,also ZOOM ZOOOM ZOOM Artie
Tyler Campbell
Posted 5/31/2003 4:23 PM (#71879 - in reply to #71856)

Hey Dan,

I don't run a 4-stroke, but do run an HPDI 200. I can't say enough about the engine. I have no complaints whatsoever. It' smooth, fuel efficient, and good on oil. It's fires first turn of the key, even in very cold weather. The newer HPDI 200's, the V-Max line, are built from a bigger block and have a few tweaks from the 2001 I'm running. I've heard good things about them as well.

I have heard great things about the 4-strokes, but never run one. To help out more, what boat are you hanging this on? I assume you're looking into an multi-species hull, some kind of deep v? Probaly why you're looking at a 4-stroke?

Tyler Campbell

GregM
Posted 6/8/2003 7:08 AM (#72582 - in reply to #71856)

Yamaha won the 2002 J.D.Power Award for "Highest Customer Satisfaction" rating for both their 2 and 4 stroke motors, they make an awesome product!!!!!

To add to some of the conversation about 2 vs 4-strokes.........My personal experience has been with Direct Fuel Injected (DFI) motors...i.e. Merc Opti-Max,Yamaha HPDI,Evinrude Ficht.

As a salesman we sell a TON of 4-strokes, but they are 140 HP and less, mostly due to the market in this area looking for a size of boat that those smaller HP motors work well with. The larger boats seem to have been going out the door with 2 strokes, whether that have EFI or DFI motors on them.

4-stroke technology is here to stay and only getting better with fuel injection and manufactures making lighter motors.

shooting from the hip here, w/o a price book in front of me, but I believe the DFI's will be somewhat less upfront cost than 4-strokes, but repairs and maintenance are higher, i.e extended warranties, brain boxes,etc. At this time in the game DFI's in the 200 HP plus range have an advantage for weight,torque,holeshot,topend etc......but won't take long for manufactures to even out the performance spread....after 2006 the EPA reg's will only allow DFI and 4-strokes to be manufactured due to emission ratings.