Helix 5 GPS/Sonar
muskyroller
Posted 1/8/2016 10:06 AM (#798624)
Subject: Helix 5 GPS/Sonar

Just acquired a Helix 5 GPS/Sonar (not the side imaging, unfortunately) that came with the boat I purchased.

Just looking for some idea on how you like/how to use the GPS piece of this equipment. The youtube stuff I found focused on the SI, but my unit doesn't have that.

This is my first GPS, so any tips and tricks would be great appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
dfkiii
Posted 1/8/2016 10:16 AM (#798627 - in reply to #798624)
Subject: Re: Helix 5 GPS/Sonar

I have a Helix 5 and based on a summer's worth I using it, I like it just fine. My only regret is that I didn't wait for the Helix 7 to come out.

I use the GPS primarily for avoiding underwater obstacles and marking structure and spots where I've moved fish. You can download a manual from the Humminbird webwsite for details on GPS usage.
muskyroller
Posted 1/8/2016 10:53 AM (#798631 - in reply to #798624)

Good little "nugget" about the download from the website. Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for...thank you.
CASTING55
Posted 1/8/2016 10:57 AM (#798633 - in reply to #798631)

I have the helix 5DI and like it but it`s pretty small compared to others,you might want to put it on the front by the troller and buy a bigger size unit to go on the console
muskyroller
Posted 1/8/2016 11:01 AM (#798636 - in reply to #798633)

Haha...forgot to mention, it's on my 14ft jon boat. It'll sit back by me when running the outboard. Not sure where I'm going to place the Trolling Motor. If I run the TM off the back, it won't be a problem. I have a little portable HB that will work if I run the TM up front.

jaultman
Posted 1/12/2016 2:21 PM (#799217 - in reply to #798624)

One thing I'll add - if you're not satisfied with the down imaging, start messing with the transducer pitch. It has toothed washers that allow a great variety of angles, but there's two stages of adjustment that just take a little time to understand. You'll see what I mean when you go to install it.

Anyway, I had to adjust mine even after doing it "by the book". And when I did, my down imaging worked much better. If you visualize the down imaging sound wave pattern, it makes sense why the pitch is so critical. Not so critical for the standard sonar cone-shaped pattern.
sworrall
Posted 1/12/2016 2:44 PM (#799226 - in reply to #799217)

jaultman - 1/12/2016 2:21 PM

One thing I'll add - if you're not satisfied with the down imaging, start messing with the transducer pitch. It has toothed washers that allow a great variety of angles, but there's two stages of adjustment that just take a little time to understand. You'll see what I mean when you go to install it.

Anyway, I had to adjust mine even after doing it "by the book". And when I did, my down imaging worked much better. If you visualize the down imaging sound wave pattern, it makes sense why the pitch is so critical. Not so critical for the standard sonar cone-shaped pattern.

GREAT tip...
Nershi
Posted 1/12/2016 5:24 PM (#799264 - in reply to #798624)

The depth highlight feature is awesome. You can use it to avoid obstacles, easily find structure and highlight the depths you are moving fish in or highlight depths where the weed line is.

If you fish lakes, rivers or reservoirs with fluctuating water levels I'd suggest learning the feature to adjust the map for water levels.

I'd read the online manual and you should be pretty set. One feature I do not like is waypoint decluttering which I turn off.