Winter Storage....Truck !
PSAGuy
Posted 12/27/2015 10:53 AM (#797306)
Subject: Winter Storage....Truck !

I have a 2014 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4 that I bought on New Year's Eve last year. It is the V6 Eco-boost and I have run Mobil 1 in it since the day I picked it up. The plan is to continue this as well. The truck today has about 4,000 miles on it, and really only gets driven for the most part when I pull my boat (which is certainly not now). Other than that it sits in my unheated, but attached garage.

I will run it about 25 miles or so about every couple months in winter just to keep "things moving", but I am concerned about something obvious I may be missing. I understand the tire issues (with tires sitting in place for a while) and really am not overly concerned about that. Fuel tank is full.

For you truck guys out there....any suggestions on this semi-storage situation and what I should consider (if anything) to keep this terrific vehicle in good shape ?

Edited by PSAGuy 12/27/2015 10:55 AM
NathanH
Posted 12/27/2015 10:59 AM (#797307 - in reply to #797306)
Subject: RE: Winter Storage....Truck !

Non ethonal gas and treat the fuel
ESOX Maniac
Posted 12/27/2015 11:19 AM (#797309 - in reply to #797306)

Don''t forget about "MICE"! Put some whole cloves, whole allspice and star anise in the compartments, and cab, etc. It will smell like apple pie when you drive it, but the whole spices vacuum right out in spring and it works better than dryer sheets or mothballs. Its how I winter prep my boat too!

or you can use a electronic pest repeller as long as the batteries last, I've had them use dryer sheets to make a nest....No proplems, since I switched to the three spice combination...

Have fun!
Al
Jeff78
Posted 12/27/2015 11:36 AM (#797311 - in reply to #797306)
Subject: Re: Winter Storage....Truck !

I store a Corvette and a GTO every year from mid October to Mid April in an unheated garage. I clean them, fill with premium gas which is ethanol free here. Disconnect the battery on the Goat and put a battery maintainer on the Vette. I do not start or run them until time to get out for spring. There is no way you can run them to get everything hot, such as exhaust, brakes, tranny, etc. Let them sit. Come spring I fire them up, get the oil warmed up and then change motor oil. Mobil One in the Vette and conventional in the Goat. Good to go for another year. Put a little extra air in the tires, never any issues with mice in my unheated garage.
Slumpbuster
Posted 12/27/2015 11:57 AM (#797317 - in reply to #797306)

I would put it on a battery tender and drive it once a week until it gets to full operating temperature. Once a month at highway speed for 30 mins if you can. Engines do best with regular use as it moves fluids around. Letting it sit and only driving 25 miles is asking for problems down the road in my opinion. Sounds like a lot of work but well worth it. Just starting it every so often and idling isn't that great for the motor either.
PSAGuy
Posted 12/27/2015 1:20 PM (#797330 - in reply to #797306)

Good advice from all I think.....many thanks
esoxaddict
Posted 12/27/2015 4:38 PM (#797343 - in reply to #797306)

I store my car every winter and have for many years. Like others, start with a full tank of premium. I add a bottle of Sta-Bil for safe keeping. I will also wash/wax the exterior, clean the interior, and treat all the interior surfaces with a vinyl protectant and leather conditioner on the seats.

I unhook the battery, check the cells, and keep a charger hooked up. It's a bit of a pain, but about once a month I'll hook up the battery and run it until the thermostat opens and it blows heat on the inside.

Never had a problem with bad gas or anything in the spring, even after sitting for 6 months. I usually drive it pretty easy in the spring until I go through the old tank of gas and change the oil, and then back to normal driving after that. I get a fair amount of carbon out of the tail pipe on the first run @ wide-open-throttle, but after that it runs like it always has.

About the only thing I will do differently this year is jack it up once and spin the tires, because after 6 months of sitting on concrete they are a little rough in the spring. Also this year I now have a heated garage, so that should help some too.

PSAGuy
Posted 12/27/2015 9:09 PM (#797378 - in reply to #797343)

Thanks.....after these great replies I have decided to actually DRIVE the truck more from time to time over the winter. This evening I drove it to dinner with my wife about 30 miles. Tomorrow I am taking it across town for an oil change (my dealer gives me free changes). The dealer is about 20 miles away so this will also be a good drive.

This truck is a year old and still has the "new car smell". It dawned on me that I actually really LIKE driving it....it's a really nice vehicle......so I will take the time to run it a bit more than I normally would. What good is a truck sitting in a garage ??? ....I need to drive it I think.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Edited by PSAGuy 12/27/2015 9:10 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 12/28/2015 10:04 AM (#797395 - in reply to #797306)

Driving it every so often would probably be best, PSAGuy. The reason I don't drive my car is twofold:

1. I drop the liability/collision insurance for the winter and just keep comprehensive coverage - saves me a few hundred bucks every year

2. Road salt. Had the car for 8 years now, and it has never seen snow or salt. No matter how well you take care of them, salt is the killer. Body panels can be replaced, though...