Mudhole's MHX Blanks - XXH
curleytail
Posted 9/7/2015 9:30 PM (#783564)
Subject: Mudhole's MHX Blanks - XXH

Has anybody built any musky rods on the MXH blanks from Mudhole recently? Their blank weights look to be similar in weight to St. Croix Legent Tournament blanks. I was thinking about building one over the winter on their XXH blank. 5-16 oz rating, mod-fast action.

I'm looking for a rod that has some flex in it to keep fish pinned, but has the power to launch pounders, and just as importantly, RIP pounders without loading 1/2 the rod up on each rip.

Curious to see if anybody has feedback on their blanks.

Thanks,

Tucker
Tackle Industries
Posted 9/8/2015 6:40 PM (#783700 - in reply to #783564)
Subject: Re: Mudhole's MHX Blanks - XXH

I have never held one but I have heard on various rod building boards the MXH blank is a decent blank to build on... Never heard anything about the XXH though. Most of the chatter has been about the bass blanks.
Zib
Posted 9/8/2015 10:16 PM (#783726 - in reply to #783564)
Subject: RE: Mudhole's MHX Blanks - XXH

I have a 8' Heavy MHX musky blank in my basement that I'm planning on building to use for jigging Bondy Baits. I was hoping to build it this week but my son ended up in the hospital yesterday so I've had to put off building it for now. The blank is very light & the action seems to be perfect for what I'm building it for so hopefully I'll like it even more once I'm done building it.
Pikiespawn
Posted 9/10/2015 1:50 PM (#783985 - in reply to #783726)

Hope your son is doing OK Zib.
Zib
Posted 9/11/2015 9:37 AM (#784082 - in reply to #783985)

Pikiespawn - 9/10/2015 2:50 PMHope your son is doing OK Zib.
Thanks. He's fine now & came home on Wednesday. This is the 2nd time this year he's had to stay a few days in the hospital to be treated for a MRSA infection. Last time was in April. I myself was in the hospital for the same thing back in August & I had surgery to remove the dead infected skin. MRSA has become more & more common because of people taking too many antibiotics & our bodies aren't able to fight off infections on their own. My son took a lot of antibiotics because he had a lot of ear infections when he was younger until he had his adenoids removed. I get frequent sinus infections so I'm always taking antibiotics for that. Sorry about getting off topic.
bowhunter29
Posted 9/15/2015 9:26 PM (#784640 - in reply to #783564)

The XXH was designed for pounders and it has a flex between the LT's and TI's (if that makes sense). It should work well for you.

Jeremy
curleytail
Posted 9/15/2015 9:42 PM (#784645 - in reply to #783564)

Thanks guys. Jeremy, I was hoping you would chime in. When you reference being between the TI and LT, do you know if it's between the TI, and Big Nasty or Big Dawg? I think I get a feel for what you're saying but want to confirm a little. I actually never handled a Big Dawg but it sounds like they are pretty stiff in the tip from what I hear.

I have a Big Nasty with about 1" of the tip removed. It works pretty well, but could stand to be just a little heavier/more powerful. The TI XXH does a pretty good job too, but loads a little more than I'm looking for when ripping Pounder sized baits hard.

Thanks,

Tucker
Jmeyers
Posted 9/16/2015 2:42 PM (#784695 - in reply to #783564)

I asked this same question a while ago on a rod buidling forum... here was the most common response...

"Ive built on most of them. Really like them. Stay away from the power rating , i e XH etc and go with the lure rating for your blank selection along with the application chart. I've also built a lot on St. Croix blanks and the St. Croix's are much stiffer for the same power rating as the Mud Hole's but both are accurate for their lure rating. If that makes sense..................... "

bowhunter29
Posted 9/17/2015 10:28 AM (#784829 - in reply to #783564)

To clarify my answer from above: The action of the rods is a bit stiffer than the TI's but not as fast as the St Croix's. It's more of a true moderate-fast in my book. The lure weight ratings are accurate and as I mentioned, the XXH was designed for pounders. They load nicely with their rated weights.

When looking at blanks, ignore the MH, H, XH, ect. ratings, every companies are different. What matters are the lure weights they are rated for. One companies MH may be another companies XH.

jeremy