NACL
benblonsky
Posted 5/21/2015 10:59 AM (#769673)
Subject: NACL

have any of you guys had problems with your cast control? mine just doesn't get nearly tight enough. hoping its just mine and am going to exchange it but if not why does it seem so weak? everything can fly a country mile with it now but it loves to backlash.
please let me know
wallydiven
Posted 5/21/2015 11:10 AM (#769675 - in reply to #769673)
Subject: Re: NACL

I've got 2 and never had any issues with either one, but then again I keep it loose and always thumb the spool.
benblonsky
Posted 5/21/2015 11:15 AM (#769676 - in reply to #769673)

have you messed around with anything inside the reel? like if i went to throw a ducktail and had the know all the way tight it still falls very fast. just don't get it
wallydiven
Posted 5/21/2015 11:21 AM (#769677 - in reply to #769676)

Sounds like a bad nylon washer. I loosen all my drags and cast control nobs on all my reels when they are not in use.
jaultman
Posted 5/21/2015 11:38 AM (#769682 - in reply to #769673)

was it performing that way out of the box? Have you taken it apart and messed with it at all?

You probably already know this, but as a general rule it's good to keep that freespool control loose and use your thumb to avoid overspinning.

I used to adjust mine differently for different baits so they would all just barely pull line from gravity in freespool. But that wore out the spool tension parts such that I couldn't create any resistance even with the knob tightened to the max. It was an old C4. Do you think that has happened to yours?
bigbite
Posted 5/21/2015 11:45 AM (#769684 - in reply to #769673)
Subject: RE: NACL

Ask our in-house reel repair expert PikeMaster.
jaultman
Posted 5/21/2015 11:46 AM (#769685 - in reply to #769673)

benblonsky - 5/21/2015 11:41 AM
i just want a 300$ reel to work perfect

I totally understand that. Sounds like it's defective. good luck.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 5/21/2015 11:56 AM (#769686 - in reply to #769673)

benblonsky - 5/21/2015 10:59 AM

have any of you guys had problems with your cast control? mine just doesn't get nearly tight enough. hoping its just mine and am going to exchange it but if not why does it seem so weak? everything can fly a country mile with it now but it loves to backlash.
please let me know

The Cast Control knobs are not to B tightened down, They R to keep spool in the center of the frame. I center the spool on my reels and NEVER Touch it. The Cast Control knob just stops the spool at the end of a cast !!!!!!!!
I f your reel backlashes open the reel up and turn on more brakes, most reels have 6 spool brakes, most reels need 3-6 brakes on casting.
curleytail
Posted 5/21/2015 12:17 PM (#769689 - in reply to #769686)

Pikemaster is the resident reel expert, and doesn't need any backing up, but he is correct again. The spool brakes need to be adjusted to slow the spool down more, and the cast control knob should be left pretty loose.

I often adjust mine so that I don't feel any left to right slop in the spool and leave it at that.
jaultman
Posted 5/21/2015 12:43 PM (#769694 - in reply to #769686)

PIKEMASTER - 5/21/2015 11:56 AM
The Cast Control knobs are not to B tightened down, They R to keep spool in the center of the frame. I center the spool on my reels and NEVER Touch it.

Can someone expand on that? do you mean visually centered, or measured, or like curleytail said, so there's no axial "slop" or play (side-to-side)?
Rudedog
Posted 5/21/2015 12:51 PM (#769695 - in reply to #769694)

Like Curly said.....
loosen knob- then just tighten till no slop in spool. Then adjust brakes to fine tune casting.
jaultman
Posted 5/21/2015 1:44 PM (#769707 - in reply to #769695)

Thanks!
PIKEMASTER
Posted 5/21/2015 2:31 PM (#769714 - in reply to #769694)

jaultman - 5/21/2015 12:43 PM

PIKEMASTER - 5/21/2015 11:56 AM
The Cast Control knobs are not to B tightened down, They R to keep spool in the center of the frame. I center the spool on my reels and NEVER Touch it.

Can someone expand on that? do you mean visually centered, or measured, or like curleytail said, so there's no axial "slop" or play (side-to-side)?

The Cast Control serves two purpose, one it keeps the spool center in the frame, and it keeps the spool from over running at the end of a cast.
So the Cast Control knob should be just tight enough to keep the spool from going left or right in the frame, and just tight enough so the spool does not over run at the END of a cast.
If U have a overrun, back-lash at the start of the cast then you need more spool brakes on.
On most reels I will run 4-6 spool brakes on.
A little tip if U have a reel and U have all the spool brakes on and the reel still is back-lashing, make sure the line is tight on the spool, and U can also add a heavy oil to the spool bearings to slow them down. On reels like the Tranx I will grease the Bearings.
Don't use XXXXH rod to cast 2 oz baits, a rod tip has to load so the reel don't backlash
One more thing DO NOT OVER FILL the spool, that will cause a reel to backlash also.
benblonsky
Posted 5/21/2015 3:04 PM (#769717 - in reply to #769673)

So when switching lures and you adjust for different weights of the lures i am changing the spool center of frame? not sure if i am following correctly. i am talking about the little nob i adjust for different weights of lures when i am throwing them. and for all lures that are in the capabilities of the reel and my rod they don't just slowly go down into the water they freefall with the nob totally tight
curleytail
Posted 5/21/2015 3:09 PM (#769719 - in reply to #769673)

Ben,
Once you set that knob on the outside of the reel, you really shouldn't have to touch it again. The adjustment you need to make for different baits are the internal spool brakes. On most reels these are plastic pieces on pins that are popped in or out to let the spool run fast or slow down more (think of a spinning figure skater speed up or slow down depending on how far to the side their arms are).

For baits that slow down FAST like Double Cowgirls into a stiff wind you might have to put more of the internal brakes "on" to prevent backlashing. With heavy baits like Bulldawgs, you can just about run everything as free as you want since they don't slow down quickly.

Over time, your thumb will probably become educated enough to handle a wide range of scenarios and you probably won't have to mess around with the reel setting much for any bait or condition you are fishing.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 5/21/2015 3:14 PM (#769720 - in reply to #769717)

benblonsky - 5/21/2015 3:04 PM

So when switching lures and you adjust for different weights of the lures i am changing the spool center of frame? not sure if i am following correctly. i am talking about the little nob i adjust for different weights of lures when i am throwing them. and for all lures that are in the capabilities of the reel and my rod they don't just slowly go down into the water they freefall with the nob totally tight

That rule only works on baits under 1 oz like most Bass baits
DO NOT USE for Musky baits over 1 oz

On both ends of the spool tips there are fiber washers, so if U crank the Cast Control Knob tight U will wear a hole in the fiber washers and the spool will off center after a day of fishing, then your gears will wear out and your reel will sound like a coffee grinder in no time.
benblonsky
Posted 5/21/2015 3:16 PM (#769721 - in reply to #769673)

ok so what way is on for all of these brakes? out towards the edge of the reel or in close tot he actual middle of the reel?
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/21/2015 4:08 PM (#769728 - in reply to #769721)

benblonsky - 5/21/2015 3:16 PM

ok so what way is on for all of these brakes? out towards the edge of the reel or in close tot he actual middle of the reel?

in is off, out is on.

The only reels I apply 2 brakes to is my Tranx and Penn 975. I normally don't fish with brakes or spool tension on any of my reels, which has always afforded me the best personal cast control. I typically warn people before picking up my equipment, and invariably adjust things for anyone using my gear for that outing. I'm actually having issues with two of my Revo Toros(NACL and a regular high speed) in that I cannot loosen them enough. They are just not casting like they should. Seems as though there are brakes on when there aren't. Both of these reels are a few years old, but I have had both in to ABU for repairs and refurbishment a time or two. I'll check the spool shafts for 'true' tonight.
sworrall
Posted 5/21/2015 5:40 PM (#769736 - in reply to #769673)

Revo Instruction manual:

The Sealed Centrifugal Brake System uses six adjustable spring loaded brake blocks to control casting. As the spool spins, centrifugal force causes the spring loaded brake blocks to engage. This force prevents the spool from over running at the start of the cast. The blocks retract during the second stage of the cast to allow for maximum distance.

Additionally, the brake blocks are sealed inside the plate which prevents them from popping off and getting lost. Access the adjustment pins by removing the palm sideplate (see Removing the Sideplate instructions in section G. for details). Disengage (i.e. turn off)the centrifugal brake by sliding all pins towards the center of the spool until they click into position. The brake blocks are now locked in the off position and will not move out away from the center of the spool.

To engage this feature (i.e. turn on the brake blocks) slide any combination of pins towards the outside of the spool until they click into place. Any combination of brake blocks can be engaged or disengaged to apply more or less brake pressure. For example, turn on all six blocks for the most pressure and turn on just one or two for less pressure and more distance. When a brake block is engaged (i.e. turned on) it should be able to move towards the outer edge of the spool.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 5/21/2015 6:36 PM (#769737 - in reply to #769673)

I don't understand Y guys don't read the owners manual ??
I don't understand Y U would turn off all the Spool Brakes on a reel ????
it would be like turning off your Anti Lock Brakes on a car braking system ????
Y do guys think they have to bomb cast every cast ????
On reels that I get in the shop that the brakes R turned off the fiber washers on the Cast Knob have holes in the them. OMG use the the spool brakes on a reel. Here is a pic hope that helps. I use 4-6 spool brakes on all my reels and I bet I can out cast guys that don't use any.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(thCAU7MRRE.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments thCAU7MRRE.jpg (12KB - 342 downloads)
PIKEMASTER
Posted 5/21/2015 6:51 PM (#769738 - in reply to #769728)

Reef Hawg - 5/21/2015 4:08 PM

benblonsky - 5/21/2015 3:16 PM

in is off, out is on.

The only reels I apply 2 brakes to is my Tranx and Penn 975. I normally don't fish with brakes or spool tension on any of my reels, which has always afforded me the best personal cast control. I typically warn people before picking up my equipment, and invariably adjust things for anyone using my gear for that outing. I'm actually having issues with two of my Revo Toros(NACL and a regular high speed) in that I cannot loosen them enough. They are just not casting like they should. Seems as though there are brakes on when there aren't. Both of these reels are a few years old, but I have had both in to ABU for repairs and refurbishment a time or two. I'll check the spool shafts for 'true' tonight.

CK your levelwind system, Toro has a non disengaging system.
Send them to me and I will free them up.
sworrall
Posted 5/21/2015 7:02 PM (#769739 - in reply to #769737)

PIKEMASTER - 5/21/2015 6:36 PM

I don't understand Y U would turn off all the Spool Brakes on a reel ????
it would be like turning off your Anti Lock Brakes on a car braking system ????
Y do guys think they have to bomb cast every cast ????
On reels that I get in the shop that the brakes R turned off the fiber washers on the Cast Knob have holes in the them. OMG use the the spool brakes on a reel. Here is a pic hope that helps. I use 4-6 spool brakes on all my reels and I bet I can out cast guys that don't use any.

Dittttttttto.
pklingen
Posted 5/21/2015 7:44 PM (#769744 - in reply to #769673)

there is even a utube video on it. check it out, he walks you right thru it.
benblonsky
Posted 5/21/2015 8:16 PM (#769748 - in reply to #769673)

thanks for the help and info guys
ben
SixBowls
Posted 5/22/2015 5:47 AM (#769767 - in reply to #769737)

PIKEMASTER - 5/21/2015 6:36 PM

My Toro, C4 and NACL all came with the same generic Ambassadeur manual. The Mechancial Brake paragraph suggests adjusting for weight of lure. The Centrifical Brake (selected models) paragraph's last sentence reads "Be sure to slide the brake weights inward on their pins before re-assembling your reel".

The manual is 8 pages and contradicts what some are saying here.
Page 1 - congrats
Page 2 - useful knots and filling spool
Page 3 - thumb bar and mechanical brake
Page 4 - magnetic brake and clicker
Page 5 - Centrifical brake and lube port
Page 6 - drag
Page 7 - basic casting
Page 8 - maintenance
Propster
Posted 5/22/2015 6:50 AM (#769772 - in reply to #769673)

^^ When it says slide them in before assembly it's not saying turn them off, it just means slide them in on the pin so the brake ring on the sideplate will fit around them.
oly67
Posted 5/22/2015 7:59 AM (#769774 - in reply to #769673)

Oh boy, my son's and my 6 Revos are at Pikemasters now..............I am sure he is shaking his head.........probably have holes in the disks...........never touched the brakes when new but adjusted the heck out of the cast controls when fishin different lures. No wonder they sound like they got sand in them. Soooo, an owner's manual huh.............is that the bunch of little papers that come stapled together in every box???

How do the brakes come set on a stock Revo Toro? How bout a 5500 and 6500?

I like this website cause I learn so much........mostly how stupid I am. I would like to know where the U-tube video is so I cannot(hopefully) screw them up when I get them back and set the brakes correctly.
Fishysam
Posted 5/22/2015 8:10 AM (#769775 - in reply to #769673)

race cars don't have abs. There is a shorter stopping distance with threshold breaking than abs, an advantage to the select few who are drivers in this world. Maybe some people like me think we are pro fishermen and use none to almost no breaks.

My question is if you have a six pin break can you use one,2,4,5 breaks? Or is it a 0,3,6 options only to keep everything balanced?
Propster
Posted 5/22/2015 8:56 AM (#769781 - in reply to #769673)

If you are concerned about "balance", then optimal would be 0, 2, 3, 4, 6. But 1 and 5 are options as well - I don't think anyone will be able to feel the difference.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 5/22/2015 9:26 AM (#769787 - in reply to #769673)

If I remember correctly, the only options are 3,4,5, and 6. 3 or 4 works best for me to get a lot of backlashes the first day I go fishing and a few here and there after that. Listen to Pikemaster and not the other mumbo jumbo. I did and it increased my casting distance and control.
MOJOcandy101
Posted 5/22/2015 10:01 AM (#769793 - in reply to #769673)

I agree with ARmusky addict. I had everything turned of until i talked with Pikemaster and it has helped my casting considerable turning 3 on.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 5/22/2015 10:30 AM (#769801 - in reply to #769673)

I cast right handed so By having 3-6 brakes on when I cast I don't have to thumb the spool so the reel don't backlash and I switch the rod and reel over to my left hand so as soon as the bait hits the water I can set a hook or reel in as soon as the bait hits the water. Can't do that if U R thumbing the spool.
tkuntz
Posted 5/22/2015 11:10 AM (#769804 - in reply to #769673)

You can switch hands with any reel, even without brakes. The middle of the cast sees very little potential for overrun so I switch from right to left and thumb with my left hand when the lure hits the water, just a little safer with the braking system. But the method you described, switching mid cast, is the best way I've found for immediate line pick up. Pays dividends in very shallow, rocky or weedy water.

Edited for clarity