Minaki for the opener this year
Stein
Posted 5/12/2015 10:46 PM (#768643)
Subject: Minaki for the opener this year

We have been going to Minaki for 21 years now  - never missed a year but we always go in mid-September.  This year will be going in September but we will also be going for a week for the season opener.  I've never muskie fished other than September.

What type of water or tactics are used in this time of year?  I'm truly at a loss on where to start.  Any tips would be appreciated.

IAJustin
Posted 5/13/2015 8:57 AM (#768671 - in reply to #768643)
Subject: Re: Minaki for the opener this year

locate spawning bays and work points. reefs and islands adjacent to these areas... check the bays too, there are always fish that hang around especially if you find good weeds with forage.
Leck9
Posted 5/13/2015 9:15 AM (#768677 - in reply to #768643)

I went for opener last year and had a blast. As IAJustin said spawning bays are the way to go. also spend lots of time searching shorelines, saw many last year just sun bathing in 2-3 feet of water on rocks. I found copper mepps #5 worked the best for me as well as phantom softails in walleye pattern. my girlfriend also caught one on a topraider and a showgirl in the black fire pattern. PM if you need anything
NickD
Posted 5/14/2015 9:19 AM (#768761 - in reply to #768643)

Looking to be a low flow/earlier spring as it stands right now. We did opener in 06 at minaki which was a low water early spring year. Found a surprising number of fish on main river type rock structures. Lots of time between opener and now but I would keep that in mind if the standard early season spots mentioned above aren't showing the fish you want. I normally consider Minaki to be big bait water but opener week I would stick to smaller stuff. Sometimes a rad dog even seemed to big for those fish. I have only been up there for 1 opener and that was my experience.