Nippising vs LOTW
Chain Gang
Posted 5/4/2015 10:26 PM (#767796)
Subject: Nippising vs LOTW

How does nippising compare to lake of the woods fish wise? Any good lodging on nippising?
larryc
Posted 5/5/2015 6:28 AM (#767806 - in reply to #767796)
Subject: RE: Nippising vs LOTW

Lots of resorts , motels and fishing camps on Nip. Good number of good sized muskies too. Rated the most pressured lake in Ontario for general fishing too.
PSAGuy
Posted 5/13/2015 11:28 AM (#768690 - in reply to #767796)

Regarding your original question tho....Nippising is a terrific lake for many species.....but it's hard for almost ANY lake to stand toe to toe with Lake of the Woods . It is simply a ridiculous fishery in my opinion.
I should add, there are several distinct areas of LOW that make it essentially several lakes in one. Some areas are better than others. For example, the Minnesota side is more generally known for Walleyes. Then you have Monument Bay and further north the Wiley Point area which are superb world class Muskie areas for both size and numbers. There are a few other areas to LOW known for other species as well as Muskies (Whitefish Bay, Sioux narrows etc) , so breaking it into pieces, maybe other lakes are better than PARTS of LOW. Are there other great Muskie fisheries both in Canada and US ?......absolutely. But to be "better than" much of Lake of the Woods is seemingly impossible to me.

Edited by PSAGuy 5/13/2015 11:37 AM
Team_Ryba
Posted 5/16/2015 9:28 PM (#769073 - in reply to #767796)

We have fished Lake Nipeeing for the last 2 years for our annual fishing trips, (a week for the opener and a week in the fall) and will be doing the same again this year. Lake Nipeeing has been good to us in so far as fish caught and the size of fish caught, however you do have to put in a good amount of time on the water to get little to moderate results.
We have also fished LOTW twice, both times out of Sabaskong bay. The fishery there is something pretty special and as the last poster mentioned the lake really does need to be divided into sections, you really don't fish the lake as much as you fish the bays.

I think that you would really need to ask yourself what type of muskie fishing you are after. Nipeeing holds some giant fish and some say it is a lake that could hold the next potential record, however you could go a whole week with nothing to show for it.
LOTW has good numbers to offer as well as decent size fish, really a muskie fishermans dream.

If we had the option to choose between the two lakes, (money and drive time not being factors in the decision making) we would pick LOTW.
brianT
Posted 5/17/2015 4:59 AM (#769079 - in reply to #767796)
Subject: Re: Nippising vs LOTW

^ This guy pretty much nailed it. If you do decide to do Nip, I would suggest hiring Dan Colomby for a day or two. Nip is a great Muskie Lake, but it's def not a numbers game. It could take you a week or longer to put together a pattern and some people just don't have that kind of time for a trip. Also, your chances of success are better if you go later in the season once the weed beds are more abundant. The first few weeks after opener are generally a tough bite.

I fished Kenora LOTW last fall with Darcy Cox, that place is simply amazing. I would go back to either though in a heartbeat. There is a reason some of the big dawgs continue to go back to Nip every late fall.....
Chain Gang
Posted 5/17/2015 6:47 AM (#769080 - in reply to #767796)
Subject: Re: Nippising vs LOTW

Thanks all. I have fished LOTW on several occasions and it is nothing short of amazing. However drive time is 20 hours for me and only 7 to nip. I just wanted to see if they were comparable. I am more than willing to put in lots of time for the chance at a giant. That is where this will become a tough decision.