Bunk or roller.............
MuskieE
Posted 4/30/2003 7:07 PM (#68578)
Subject: Bunk or roller.............

Which is better and why?

I plan on fishing alot alone and shallow water.
Sponge
Posted 4/30/2003 8:00 PM (#68588 - in reply to #68578)
Subject: RE: Bunk or roller.............

Dude, if the ramps don't have much slope, you might try rollers, but around here the majority of ramps are steep, and you can't unhook your boat until the boat is in the water to prevent roll off. I feel more comfortable w/ bunks personally; a LITTLE silicone sprayed on the bunks will aid in cranking, etc.
ToddM
Posted 4/30/2003 8:42 PM (#68591 - in reply to #68578)

I had a roller trailer on my boat. Fishing alone and loading and unloading was easy. With that said however you can juice up bunks and make them pretty slipery too. I have heard that rollers will looosen rivets but I have not experienced it at all.
stephendawg
Posted 4/30/2003 10:54 PM (#68609 - in reply to #68578)

If you knew your ramp was always gonna be mild sloping the the rollers are nice. But I submit that bunks are more versatile and manageable when you land by yourself. Winching a little bit is small potatoes when you compare that to rolling back off the trailer on a steeper ramp when you're by yourself.
ghoti
Posted 5/1/2003 7:31 AM (#68622 - in reply to #68578)

Your boat spends 99% of the time on the trailer. What would you rather lie on, a bunch of lumps or a nice padded carpet? Watch a boat landing some time. It seems the roller peeps have a lot more problem loading and centering their rigs. The bunk boys just drive them on and go.
dpratt
Posted 5/1/2003 10:21 AM (#68651 - in reply to #68578)

I have no experience with rollers; however my bunk trailer is very easy to unload and load, even by myself. I usually just drive right onto it and hook up the winch. Usually, not much cranking is needed. The bunks and load guides center the hull every time, no matter what the conditions.

Tip - spray some silicone on the bunks when the boat is unloaded. This will help the boat slide easily on and off.
GMan
Posted 5/1/2003 10:49 AM (#68654 - in reply to #68578)

Dito what Ghoti says! I had rollers and switched to bunks with my last boat. Bunks is the only way to go.
Ranger
Posted 5/1/2003 11:13 AM (#68659 - in reply to #68654)

I also fish alone, bunks are just fine by me. Also, bunks do wear out, but you can easily make new ones with treated 2X4s and bunk carpet sold at any Wally Mart.

By the way, I have found that by bringing hip boots in the truck, I NEVER have a hard time loading the boat in high wind or current. Sure in nice when you can just walk out into the water, anytime of the year, as opposed to trying to walk out on the trailer frame.
Muskie Treats
Posted 5/1/2003 11:54 AM (#68665 - in reply to #68578)

BUNKS!

Drive on and go.
lpeitso
Posted 5/1/2003 12:20 PM (#68671 - in reply to #68578)

I think it depends on how shallow the ramp is. If you back your boat in, and the water isn't up to the bunks life may be hard. I know a lake that I love to fish, but can't fish it with my new boat because the ramp is to shallow. I have to use my dad's boat with rollers to launch and fish this lake. I like the bunks if I can drive the boat on/off, but if the launch is super shallow the roller do the trick.

Lance