New game and fish bill
MuskyKarma
Posted 3/9/2015 9:57 PM (#758528)
Subject: New game and fish bill

Not sure of the validity, but I heard today the next game and fish bill this year would be subject to opening pike spearing on almost all metro lakes including minnetonka, bald eagle etc.

Thoughts....?

This is enraging to me.
dami0101
Posted 3/9/2015 10:40 PM (#758534 - in reply to #758528)
Subject: RE: New game and fish bill

I just don't get why they need to spear on musky lakes. There's a lot more lakes with pike in them then muskies...
Smiltona
Posted 3/10/2015 2:24 AM (#758548 - in reply to #758528)
Subject: Re: New game and fish bill

It drives me nuts too. They've always been able to spear on my home water, Miltona, and it's always perplexed me. Too many times I've seen rotting muskie carcasses right after ice-out.
muskyhunter47
Posted 3/10/2015 5:08 AM (#758551 - in reply to #758548)

Dose not surprise me. spearers are allowed to spear on more and more lakes every year.and they won't stop till they can spear on any lake they want to..I hate to say it but how long will it be before they will be allowed to spear muskies.
dtaijo174
Posted 3/10/2015 7:19 AM (#758561 - in reply to #758528)

Is there no Muskies Inc champion in the MN state government?
Natureboy
Posted 3/10/2015 1:16 PM (#758652 - in reply to #758528)

I don't know much about spearing, but is it open to the general public or just the people on the surrounding reservations? I have a buddy that lives in upper WI and he claims the Indians in his area crush the big northern population on his home lake.
happy hooker
Posted 3/13/2015 7:49 AM (#759355 - in reply to #758652)

Recruit the snowmobilers,,,,cant make a hole in the ice bigger then 18 inches for safety.If it doesn't pass so what they have to devote time fighting it.
Muskie Treats
Posted 3/13/2015 8:41 AM (#759369 - in reply to #758528)

You all realize that the reason why the MDHA was created was in response to the spearing bans. Since that day they have stood in the way of every piece of muskie legislation we've tried to pass as well as try to block every new lake we've tried to stock. If there are no bans then they have no argument to the furthering of the muskie program.

What is the net effect of allowing spearing on 15 more lakes vs. expanding the muskie range?

Edited by Muskie Treats 3/13/2015 8:42 AM
dtaijo174
Posted 3/13/2015 9:24 AM (#759376 - in reply to #759369)

Muskie Treats - 3/13/2015 8:41 AM

You all realize that the reason why the MDHA was created was in response to the spearing bans. Since that day they have stood in the way of every piece of muskie legislation we've tried to pass as well as try to block every new lake we've tried to stock. If there are no bans then they have no argument to the furthering of the muskie program.

What is the net effect of allowing spearing on 15 more lakes vs. expanding the muskie range?

excellent point
muskyball
Posted 3/13/2015 7:01 PM (#759492 - in reply to #759369)

Muskie Treats - 3/13/2015 8:41 AM

What are these attempts that have been made to further the muskie stocking program that would be an improvement over the established lakes in question? Would it be worth sacrificing what we have in order to hypothetically minimize opposition to future stocking expansions?

I fish a couple of these lakes exclusively. There are plenty of muskie fishermen who primarily fish the metro lakes being discussed here, and obviously there has been much time and money invested in creating these fisheries. How would you answer your own question?

Edited by muskyball 3/13/2015 7:02 PM
Muskie Treats
Posted 3/15/2015 2:38 PM (#759765 - in reply to #759492)

As one who also fishes the metro predominantly and probably has spent more hours in DNR, legislative and MI meetings then most who are reading this have spent on the water fishing for muskies, I would say that the adding of spearing will probably be negligible to these bodies of water in regards to muskies (pike are another thing entirely). Since the days when the spearing bans were put in place, there has been a bit of "growing up" in the dark house world, especially in the metro. 30-40 years ago it wasn't uncommon for spearing of muskies to happen, since that time there has been a lot of effort from individuals and agencies on many sides to stop this, the MDHA included. True there are some spearers who will break the law, but there are also plenty of anglers doing that already. I also know that we as anglers do our own damage to the resource in regards to delayed mortality (I've had a fish die on me/in my boat in 3/4 years due to nothing more then being hooked badly).

Right now the number 1 reason why spearers are against the muskie program is because of the bans and the threat that they may be expanded. Once the bans are gone, so will any tie between muskies and spearing.

If we want to debate what will be the effect of the pike population will on these lakes after spearing is introduced we can have that conversation. We all know that lakes with a preponderance of small pike is tough on muskie stocking, but the metro is already a hammer handle factory so the addition of spearing probably wont make a difference there. Right now there is a big push to change how MN regulates pike and for the first time ever it's based on the biology of the fish. But this is a separate issue from that of spearing on muskie lakes and should remain that way.

Edited by Muskie Treats 3/15/2015 2:40 PM
TCESOX
Posted 3/17/2015 12:26 PM (#760147 - in reply to #758528)

I've got 7 muskie lakes within 10 to 15 minutes of my house, and over the years, three of these lakes have always produced what I consider pretty decent sized northerns, for metro lakes (7,8,9 pounds). Last year, one of them was a little slower on muskies for me than the last couple of years (mostly due to poor timing on when I fished it), but I caught more 36 to 40 inch northerns, than I've caught anywhere except Canada. These lakes get pounded. It amazes me how these fish manage to stick around long enough to reach such a decent size in such pressured waters.
happy hooker
Posted 3/17/2015 5:04 PM (#760195 - in reply to #760147)

Has someone who was born in the metro and lived here all my life,,,I just hope the huge immigrant population that we have here doesn't take up spearing. These people come from a culture where fish is food to be eaten everyday not sport. Thank god for milfoil in the summer limiting shoreline fishing or some of these lakes would get depleted. I'm betting they do jump on this and from experience I've had to call more then a couple times to the dnr about undersized muskies in buckets.

KenK
Posted 3/17/2015 6:21 PM (#760214 - in reply to #758528)

TCESOX, I like your avatar! I need a t-shirt like that!