Bump Boards
tr7
Posted 3/6/2015 4:40 AM (#757688)
Subject: Bump Boards

I'm in the market for a new board this year and it's between the T's and the Muskie Bumper. I understand there are others on the market as I have researched them all. So I would polietly ask that we just talk about the two mentioned.

The other night I searched about a years worth of posts and wasn't able to find an honest to goodness good vs bad comparison. It seems like no one has issues with either one these which is good in my opinion. Means guys are putting out good quality stuff!

I'm hoping though that of you who have used both that you could tell me what you like better from one to the other? I'm also curious how much the width difference makes?Does it help that much more when handling fish? I'm not concerned with the extra money from one to the other, but my thought is that if it's not that big of a difference I would go with the skinnier one just for any amount of space savings I can get.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
dfkiii
Posted 3/6/2015 7:17 AM (#757700 - in reply to #757688)
Subject: Re: Bump Boards

I have only used one, the Musky Bumper original. I worked directly with Tony and the ordering and shipping process was a breeze. I've had it about 7 years and it's still in good shape despite being exposed to UV for large parts of the summer. There's nothing about it that I have any complaints about, but in the end it's a piece of plastic with a ruler sticker attached.

If you find that you're particular about certain aspects of bump boards maybe making one yourself is an option. There are a number of threads where guys have shown their handiwork.

Imobley
Posted 3/6/2015 7:24 AM (#757702 - in reply to #757688)

there's no real negatives to either brand, they are so similar. They both float, both won't rust, & both measure fish accurately. Personally i would buy muskie bumper, because they were first, and the owner is one of the nicest guys in the muskie industry
pklingen
Posted 3/6/2015 7:37 AM (#757707 - in reply to #757688)

i have T's xl and love it. if i could make one improvement it would be to be able to order it left or right handed ,if you can picture that. i like putting the fishes head into the "0" end and mine is on the left. being right handed its a little akward, but i'm just being picky. LOL.
tr7
Posted 3/6/2015 7:57 AM (#757712 - in reply to #757688)

Great responses guys. I didn't think there was too much different between them and dfkiii, there were no real particulars I was looking for in a board. I have seen the do-it-yourself boards that guys have made and there is some impressive work out there. I don't have that kind of time or patience. Ha. Although I have researched these, I have not been able to physically see the Muskie Bumper in person. Are the measuring rules about the same in regards to ease of reading? And pklingen, I'm pretty sure you can order the T's right or left handed?
horsehunter
Posted 3/6/2015 7:59 AM (#757715 - in reply to #757688)

I'm not sure which is left or right but T's make both. Mine has the bumper on the left and my buddies is on the right. I guess it depends on how you normally lift your fish but I read from left to right.
dfkiii
Posted 3/6/2015 8:01 AM (#757716 - in reply to #757688)

I have no problems reading the musky bumper, and this is coming from a guy who unfortunately has to wear reading glasses when doing any computer work these days.
Cloud7
Posted 3/6/2015 9:14 AM (#757745 - in reply to #757688)

I know you stated you're between the two brands, but I'd like to offer a third possibility for your consideration, the Just Encase bumpboard. Bob Schmidt of Just Encase is the man, his bumpboad can be switched to bump on the left or right side, and the board glows in the dark like a glow stick. I bought mine last year and love it.
pklingen
Posted 3/7/2015 5:48 AM (#757942 - in reply to #757712)

tr7 - 3/6/2015 8:57 AM

And pklingen, I'm pretty sure you can order the T's right or left handed?

thats good thinking on their part. i got mine a few years back and they didn't offer the option then. i got it right from T's. they don't wear out, buy it right once and done. its a quality board IMO and worth the money. i got the XL and glad i did. the extra width keeps all of the fish on the board and not on the boat, preserving the slime for recovery. i always dip my board in the water first to get it wet before laying the fish on it just for the slime reason. good luck!