Favorite reel for big rubber/bigger baits?
dougturd
Posted 3/5/2015 3:46 PM (#757589)
Subject: Favorite reel for big rubber/bigger baits?

Looking to stack with a 9ish' H rod, not sure on the brand yet, but I'm wondering what your guys' favorite reels are to handle bigger rubber? Looking to throw rubber, as well as potentially some jerk baits as well. Any recommendations on a reel to handle these baits? thanks guys!!
muskyhunter47
Posted 3/5/2015 3:50 PM (#757592 - in reply to #757589)
Subject: Re: Favorite reel for big rubber/bigger baits?

There are allot of good quality reels if you have the money can't beat a Tranx HG
Zinox
Posted 3/5/2015 3:50 PM (#757593 - in reply to #757589)

What he said ^
dougturd
Posted 3/5/2015 4:04 PM (#757598 - in reply to #757593)

lol unfortunately I don't have the money. Should have specified, sorry :/ I'm pretty open up to about 375 max, but can't swing much more than that
dami0101
Posted 3/5/2015 4:34 PM (#757605 - in reply to #757589)

Well if you're looking at a H rod, I wouldn't think you're really looking at big rubber.

Having said that, I don't think there's a better value then a Daiwa Saltist STTLW20H-C Levelwind Reel when it comes to a reel specifically for big rubber.
abergendahl
Posted 3/5/2015 4:52 PM (#757613 - in reply to #757605)

I've actually been throwing ^this exact reel for a while for rubber and its been working great. It's not the smoothest thing in the world on the cast comparatively, and it takes a bit of getting used to, but it is a great reel for rubber once you learn how it runs. How "big" of rubber are we talking here? Because for pounders and such, you'll wanna go a little heavier rod
muskyhunter47
Posted 3/5/2015 4:58 PM (#757614 - in reply to #757613)

If you keep your eyes open you can get deals on ebay. And if you go to a musky show I've seen reels 20 percent off so that would be 400 and you would have a great reel just a thought
Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/5/2015 5:13 PM (#757615 - in reply to #757589)

I've been happy with the Lexa and Saltist. Something fast is nice for ripping big rubber.
RyanJoz
Posted 3/5/2015 5:24 PM (#757618 - in reply to #757589)

Steer clear of the Lexa. Tranx, saltist, toro, Trinidad, or Calcutta are good options. Every Lexa I have worked on has had the yoke or pinion support (depends what you call it) fail.
Nershi
Posted 3/5/2015 5:47 PM (#757622 - in reply to #757589)

Should be able to score a tranx for $400 or a 400d for $300. Both have worked well for me for big baits.
newmuskyz
Posted 3/5/2015 6:31 PM (#757627 - in reply to #757622)

375 will get you a tranx. Next choice saltist.
Chain Gang
Posted 3/5/2015 8:21 PM (#757654 - in reply to #757589)

Get a used calcutta te
lennyg3
Posted 3/5/2015 10:39 PM (#757681 - in reply to #757589)

saltist 40lw (47IPT and 6.4 gear) does everything the tranx hg (43ipt and 6.6 gear)does for half the price if you don't mind flipping a lever
curleytail
Posted 3/6/2015 7:25 AM (#757705 - in reply to #757589)

For big rubber, the only thing against the Saltist is weight at about 19 or 20 oz, but if comparing it to the Tranx at 20 oz. that's a wash. I do notice a big difference in feel when picking up a rod with the Saltist vs a Revo Toro though.

With that said, the Saltist is a tank of a reel. Feels very solid, and flipping the lever is not bad at all. I'd get one of the newer black ones with the auto engage feature.

If you're throwing bucktails or light stuff with it, the Saltist doesn't have spool breaks (just tension adjust) and be tougher than other reels casting light stuff into the wind, but it's pretty much a non issue with big rubber baits.

I have the 20, and it fits my hand well enough and is still pretty fast at 35 inches per crank.
smada
Posted 3/6/2015 7:54 AM (#757710 - in reply to #757589)

I guess I'm in the minority in that I don't see the need to use a giant reel to throw big rubber. Big blades yes, but big rubber not really. I have been throwing pounders, monster medussas, etc. for years on a Revo Toro H.S. 50 and have never had an issue. I throw rubber more than any other style bait so this reel has seen a ton of use and has yet to break down on me. Even though I'm 6'4" with decent sized hands I just like the feel of the smaller reel compared to a giant like the tranx. I just have never seen the point in using such a beefy reel for baits that really don't pull that hard. Enough guys use the bigger reels and like them though so there's obviously nothing wrong with it, that's just my personal preference.
T_Peterzen55
Posted 3/6/2015 7:56 AM (#757711 - in reply to #757710)

Tranx HG. Period.

43 inches per crank, helps pick up that slack line in between pulls. Game changer for me.

You can get solid deals on them during the sport show season.

TP
Masqui-ninja
Posted 3/6/2015 8:12 AM (#757718 - in reply to #757711)

The Tranx is the ultimate. I use Saltists as they are bullet proof and get the job done. The 20 size is more than big enough for any application imo. I also have a 700te but it's too big and a bit too slow for my tastes.
curleytail
Posted 3/6/2015 8:49 AM (#757732 - in reply to #757710)

smada - 3/6/2015 7:54 AM

I guess I'm in the minority in that I don't see the need to use a giant reel to throw big rubber. Big blades yes, but big rubber not really. I have been throwing pounders, monster medussas, etc. for years on a Revo Toro H.S. 50 and have never had an issue. I throw rubber more than any other style bait so this reel has seen a ton of use and has yet to break down on me. Even though I'm 6'4" with decent sized hands I just like the feel of the smaller reel compared to a giant like the tranx. I just have never seen the point in using such a beefy reel for baits that really don't pull that hard. Enough guys use the bigger reels and like them though so there's obviously nothing wrong with it, that's just my personal preference.

I agree for the most part, and forgot to include my thoughts in my earlier post. If one palms the reel and puts their thumb on the spool for each rip, I don't think a super beefy reel is needed. I got used to doing that, and have pretty much just used regular reels for ripping big baits and had no issues.

If somebody holds the foregrip, or doesn't clamp down on the spool for each rip, that can take a toll on a reel, and is probably where the heavy duty reels shine.
dami0101
Posted 3/6/2015 9:06 AM (#757740 - in reply to #757710)

I don’t think anyone is saying that a Toro or the like doesn’t work for big rubber, or that you need a big reel for them, but you get a much better IPT with the Tranx or Saltist.
tswoboda
Posted 3/6/2015 9:16 AM (#757746 - in reply to #757710)

smada - 3/6/2015 7:54 AM I guess I'm in the minority in that I don't see the need to use a giant reel to throw big rubber. Big blades yes, but big rubber not really. I have been throwing pounders, monster medussas, etc. for years on a Revo Toro H.S. 50 and have never had an issue. I throw rubber more than any other style bait so this reel has seen a ton of use and has yet to break down on me. Even though I'm 6'4" with decent sized hands I just like the feel of the smaller reel compared to a giant like the tranx. I just have never seen the point in using such a beefy reel for baits that really don't pull that hard. Enough guys use the bigger reels and like them though so there's obviously nothing wrong with it, that's just my personal preference.

I'm in that minority with you... Curado EJ for me

smada
Posted 3/6/2015 9:24 AM (#757752 - in reply to #757740)

dami0101 - 3/6/2015 9:06 AM

I don’t think anyone is saying that a Toro or the like doesn’t work for big rubber, or that you need a big reel for them, but you get a much better IPT with the Tranx or Saltist.

That is true. That is the tradeoff of using a smaller reel but I feel the HS at 6.4:1 still does a solid job. To each their own
Weevil
Posted 3/6/2015 3:30 PM (#757858 - in reply to #757710)

I agree.^
kdawg
Posted 3/6/2015 3:50 PM (#757864 - in reply to #757858)

Some of the guys have mentioned it here already. The original poster stated he wanted to put the reel on a 9 foot plus length rod. And although a smaller reel can handle bigger baits, will it balance out a rod that length? Just for that reason alone, I too would choose a larger size reel with my favorite the 7000Ihsn, but to each his own. Kdawg